Year Zero

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Ozone
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Year Zero

Post by Ozone »

The relatively early release date of Year Zero, about two years after With Teeth was released, compared albums past that had five year gaps in between them lead to some concern from fans regarding what the level of craftsmanship would be with Year Zero. Well, I'm here to tell you that Year Zero is probably the release of the year.

Year Zero is a sonically complex and completely exhilarating masterwork of a concept album. While not every track is a stand out track, they all work together perfectly to create Reznor's bleak vision of 2022 AD, let me sum it up for you...

The world has been ripped apart by global warming, baseball is now playable in February, and Wisconsin is a spring break spot since Miami is too hot, also Opal is now the main drug of choice, since all of the Coca in South America has been destroyed by the heat, and it's injected into the eye, turning the eye white black. The red tide has taken over the shores, most of the Middle East has been turned to glass due to the sheer number of nuclear bombs dropped there, and the government is drugging its own citizens to make them obey and to make them sterile. The government watches and censors everything. With resistance factions popping up all over the place, a few who see the truth fight for their freedom. Now the hand of God himself has appeared to many, as the Presence has appeared as a warning sign that the end is near.

Tracks like My Violent Heart, The Warning, The Great Destroyer, God Given, In This Twilight, the Good Soldier, Survivalism, Zero-Sum, Vessel, and the Beginning of the End highlight the album, though each track is important. This is an album that you need to listen to from start to finish without any background noise. The sonic nuances are incredible and worth the listen.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

And just so folks know, "Year Zero" is a Nine Inch Nails album. (Ozone failed to mention that. :-P )

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Thanks for clarifying.

See, I saw "REZNOR" and I thought the minibosses from the castles in Super Mario World. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

I agree entirely. This is a fantastic album, one that is exilerating in both a musical and intellectual sense. Listening to the lyrics and the story unfold brings me back to the Orwell novel 1984 in a serious way, and I love it. Post apocolyptic world consumed in a maelstrom of chaos and destruction... Good stuff. Check it out.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"