"Cloverfield" - 01/18/08 Teaser Trailer

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

"Cloverfield" - 01/18/08 Teaser Trailer

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/11808/hd/

Does ANYone know what this is? I've heard that there is no official title for the movie, it's being referred to by the release date and/or "Cloverfield". There is a rumor that it is going to be a big monster movie (which one is anyones guess so far) and that the creature is called "The Parasite".... that's all I've heard.

I must say I'm quite intrigued by this, thoughts everyone? :D

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Well, I check in on Gamefaqs every now in then much the way alien races occasionally checked in on the evolution of monkey into man. While browsing the movie board, I first heard of this. Gamefaqs is divided into two distinct camps. One that believes it's a Voltron movie. The other camp tends to shout "No it isn't" repeatedly at the Voltron camp.

I dunno what it is.... but I have to say that it's a really good marketing ploy, and I'll probably watch it.

Iga
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Iga »

Well, I'll say all the rumors that I've heard. I've heard:

A Voltron movie, that's possible, but I think the only real reason for that speculation is the monstrous roar when the building explodes and when they run out into the street, somebody screams, "I SAW IT! IT'S A LION! IT'S HUGE!"

If it's not Voltron, Zilla
Image <-- remember that Godzilla wannabe from 1998?
might be starring in the movie instead.

An Independence Day 2. Haven't heard anything really about that other than that it's just a rumor.

Another rumor I've heard is that it might be filmed all on camcorders. That might be either good or bad, but I guess we'll all find out on January 18th next year.

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

First, apparently "It's a lion!" was a mishearing of what was stated -- the actual line (best anyone can tell) is "It's alive!"

Second, the craziest theory I heard about this movie is that it's a Chrono Trigger movie, with that giant fireball thingie seen at the end being Lavos.
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Yep... the idea of that being a Chrono Trigger movie is definitely one of the craziest theories not involving the JFK assassination and/or the staging of the moon landing.

I'm not saying that I would be against a Chrono Trigger, but I don't believe that the monster movie style is appropriate..

Speaking of style, I don't think I'm fond of a film made entirely with camcorders. Reminds me too much of the Blair Witch Project (although I don't think they used camcorders).

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Werefrog wrote:Yep... the idea of that being a Chrono Trigger movie is definitely one of the craziest theories not involving the JFK assassination and/or the staging of the moon landing.

I'm not saying that I would be against a Chrono Trigger, but I don't believe that the monster movie style is appropriate..
When I saw this, I immediately thought of Chrono Trigger, too. Another (most likely false) rumor I've heard is that it's the smoke monster from LOST, since at-least a few of the same people are involved.

I'm guessing it's something new, but from that trailer, I'll probably go see it.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Yeah... this marketing ploy definitely seems like something that the creators of Lost would use.

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

No, not smokey!! How'd it get off the island?!

Yeah, they were saying Voltron because of "It's a lion!" thing.. but since it's "It's alive!" makes it more interesting.. it's something people thought was dead or couldn't come to life? they also suggested a chimera, right? Well I hope after this hype it's something decent..

edit: It would be kinda cool to be Independence Day 2.. tagline "We thought we defeated them. They came back...with help." But they are saying the budget was like $30mil..so I doubt this is it ><
Image"Sample my goods!!"

Iga
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Iga »

Werefrog wrote:Yep... the idea of that being a Chrono Trigger movie is definitely one of the craziest theories not involving the JFK assassination and/or the staging of the moon landing.
Yeah, the craziest I've heard was a Gundam SEED movie. I mean, wtf? You gotta know your sources, I guess.

AAAND, I doubt that there's a public script for the movie, nor a subtitled trailer, so I'm sticking with "It's a lion!" "It's alive!" is plausible too, but that's just not how I hear it. As far as I know, either one is equally possible, but I'm still sticking with "a lion."

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

AnimeJei wrote:No, not smokey!! How'd it get off the island?!
Clearly this is what the DHARMA initiative was trying to stop.
Iga wrote:AAND, I doubt that there's a public script for the movie, nor a subtitled trailer, so I'm sticking with "It's a lion!" "It's alive!" is plausible too, but that's just not how I hear it. As far as I know, either one is equally possible, but I'm still sticking with "a lion."
"It's alive" makes a lot of sense if you think about it. I think most people seeing that explosion would assume it was a bomb or something along those lines -- not some huge monster.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Huh, I didn't realize that THE STATUE OF FREAKING LIBERTY was EVER in Chrono Trigger. But... I could be wrong.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

That's only because Chrono Trigger occurs after the events of Planet of the Apes.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

If I were to bet money on what this movie is, I'd say it's not Godzilla or Voltron or anything we've ever heard of before. I'm guessing this marketing push is to build interest in some brand-new concept that doesn't already have a built-in fanbase.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

ilovemyguitar wrote:I'm guessing this marketing push is to build interest in some brand-new concept that doesn't already have a built-in fanbase.
I agree. I mean, if it were something with a fanbase already, why the mystery? There's no need to build suspense for something people would already want to see. Either way, apparently they want people to talk about this movie, and it's obviously working :D

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

No..it's Ghostbusters III: Coming out of Retirement... weren't they walking around in the Statue of Liberty in the sequel? :lol:
Image"Sample my goods!!"

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

Post by DeathBeforeDenial »

Here's the IMDB Link

Here's the Wiki

Here's the Trailer

The working title is "Cloverfield", and there is a lot of speculation about what the plot focuses on. Some say it's a monster movie with a totally original creature, and the film is more about how it is filmed and the survival of the main group of people rather than the creature. Others are assuming is a film adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulu Mythos, using one of the "Great Old Ones" as the central beast. Still others claim it a Voltron or Godzilla movie.

Also, if i'm not mistaken, I believe the term "Parasite" for the creature came from the website Ethan Haas Was Right, and if that is the case, then I am fairly sure it is false, as that website seems to be promoting a Mindstorm Labs game called "Alpha Omega".

Also also, the man running out of the building is certainly saying, "It's alive, it's huge!", he just cannot enunciate. It almost sounds more like "It's a-lied" because of the way he pronounces it. It's definitely 2 syllables though.

All in all I really don't care (I just had too much time to waste on the internet tonight), I already don't like this movie because I hate viral marketing that has to be incredibly vague to make a movie seem interesting.
They said that on Saturday evening Arsenius used to turn his back to the setting sun and stretch out his hands towards heaven and pray until, at dawn on Sunday, the rising sun lit up his face, and then he sat down again.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Old topic, and maybe this isn't it as the dates isn't right and maybe the real title was released and didn't even realize it, but... here.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie.aspx ... 121&mp=syn

Sounds like it would match what the trailor posted here earlier showed.

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Looked it up on IMDB. The director, production company, etc., are all wrong for this one. It's therefore probably not "Cloverfield," although it still might be a fun flick to check out.
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, I just watched the newest trailor. There was a clip where people in a military style tent saw a shadow of what looked to be 2 werewolves tearing a woman appart on the other side.

I want to see this movie, the trailor makes it look intresting, apparently all shot from "the amature camerman's angle." However, this might actually be the first movie that I will go see that will terrify me and make me sleep with my light on. Seriously.