New Babylon 5 DVD, Will be released tomorrow

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Darknight
Lann Fisherman
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

New Babylon 5 DVD, Will be released tomorrow

Post by Darknight »

Just in case anyone that liked Babylon 5 didn't know, a new dvd is being released on July 31st which is essentially 2 new episodes.

Also like other straight to DVD releases (new Futurama episodes, etc), more new DVDs will be made depending on the sales of this one.

So please any and all people, please buy this.

From what I've read, the CG will be done by the same company that does CG for Battlestar Galactica.

You can preorder it on Amazon.com:
link

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Ooh. I love story, and Babylon 5 has an awesome one.

Although I'm not sure I see the point of pre-ordering considering I should be able to pick it up tomorrow in stores...

Darknight
Lann Fisherman

Post by Darknight »

DevNall wrote:Ooh. I love story, and Babylon 5 has an awesome one.

Although I'm not sure I see the point of pre-ordering considering I should be able to pick it up tomorrow in stores...
Granted, but if you look at it that way, there is really never any point in preordering anything.

And also this was kind of a copy and paste from another post I made on another forum. Just wanted to let people know about it is all.

AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AlasdairPalemoon »

I'm going to have to wait on feedback for this one, then rent it before actually buying. I loved the Babylon 5 original series. That and Firefly were the only sci-fi shows I could ever get into, but a lot of their related productions since then were lackluster, didn't quite live up to the original or just plain sucked. So, I'm going to wait and see, first...
"The wisest mind has yet something to learn." - George Santayana

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Darknight wrote:Granted, but if you look at it that way, there is really never any point in preordering anything.
Sorry, I just meant that it seemed a bit late to preorder -- even if I did and ordered it sent overnight, they might not get around to it until tomorrow. (Also, I doubt this will be in short supply, which is when preordering seems to be most useful.)
AlasdairPalemoon wrote: loved the Babylon 5 original series. That and Firefly were the only sci-fi shows I could ever get into, but a lot of their related productions since then were lackluster,
Have you checked out the new Battlestar Galactica? If you liked Babylon 5 and Firefly, I'm guessing it would be "right up your alley."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

AlasdairPalemoon wrote:I'm going to have to wait on feedback for this one, then rent it before actually buying. I loved the Babylon 5 original series. That and Firefly were the only sci-fi shows I could ever get into, but a lot of their related productions since then were lackluster, didn't quite live up to the original or just plain sucked. So, I'm going to wait and see, first...
Well, Firefly is better than Lunar. So I can hardly blame you. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Darknight
Lann Fisherman

Post by Darknight »

AlasdairPalemoon wrote:I'm going to have to wait on feedback for this one, then rent it before actually buying. I loved the Babylon 5 original series. That and Firefly were the only sci-fi shows I could ever get into, but a lot of their related productions since then were lackluster, didn't quite live up to the original or just plain sucked. So, I'm going to wait and see, first...
As long as I remember, I will post feedback about it, after I watch it and let you know. I loved the series as well and actually liked crusades, but the B5 direct to dvd movies were pretty lackluster.

We will see.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Darknight wrote:As long as I remember, I will post feedback about it, after I watch it and let you know. I loved the series as well and actually liked crusades, but the B5 direct to dvd movies were pretty lackluster.

We will see.
Isn't this the first direct-to-DVD Babylon 5 movie? The others, I thought, were "made-for-TV movies" and then released on DVD much later.

While some of them were kind of "meh", I thought one of the TV movies ("In the Beginning") was amazing. Also, some of the books are really good, too.

AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AlasdairPalemoon »

DevNall wrote:Have you checked out the new Battlestar Galactica? If you liked Babylon 5 and Firefly, I'm guessing it would be "right up your alley."
Hm, I've seen about a season of it. It seems alright enough (if a bit too dark for my tastes) but it hasn't really clicked with me. I'm more of a fantasy fan, though, and it's rare for me to get into sci-fi.
Kizyr wrote:Well, Firefly is better than Lunar. So I can hardly blame you. KF
Gasp, isn't it near-blasphemy to say such things on these boards? ;) Well, they're two different media so I can't compare them, but I'd still take Lunar over Firefly, personally ^^
Darknight wrote:As long as I remember, I will post feedback about it, after I watch it and let you know. I loved the series as well and actually liked crusades, but the B5 direct to dvd movies were pretty lackluster.

We will see.
Yeah, we'll see. I certainly have not closed my mind to it and I /hope/ that they turn out to be good. I understand if they do, there's the possibility of the Telepath War being done in the future, which would be awesome.
"The wisest mind has yet something to learn." - George Santayana

Darknight
Lann Fisherman

Post by Darknight »

DevNall wrote:Isn't this the first direct-to-DVD Babylon 5 movie? The others, I thought, were "made-for-TV movies" and then released on DVD much later.

While some of them were kind of "meh", I thought one of the TV movies ("In the Beginning") was amazing. Also, some of the books are really good, too.
Your right, I forgot they were on TV first. Anyway, for the most part as you said they were "meh". Not bad, but nothing like the series in greatness. But I will admit I have watched the series all the way through a few times in the past couple years and I haven't seen the movies in a while so, maybe that has something to do with it.

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

Hmm, I wish Babylon 5 was playing on tv still. I've heard it's really good, and my all time favorite tv show - DS9 - gets a lot of bashing for ripping of B5. I'd kind of enjoy comparing them myself, since all the websites I've gone to comparing them have really grasped at straws.

Firefly is probably my second favorite sci-fi, I suppose. It was truly excellant.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

AlasdairPalemoon wrote:Yeah, we'll see. I certainly have not closed my mind to it and I /hope/ that they turn out to be good. I understand if they do, there's the possibility of the Telepath War being done in the future, which would be awesome.
This would be awesome. Or so I think, obviously it might be difficult to do. I'll be interested to see the original script for the series when it's released, as some changes were made. (Do we not have a spoiler tag?) Supposedly Sinclair was originally going to stay for the whole series, and Kosh would not have been offed. I would have been interested to have seen what have happened if Kosh have been around when the Vorlons went collectively nuts. Supposedly for "Crusade", the show you thought you were watching was not the show you were watching -- the search for the cure would have ended in season 2. Some of the later scripts (which were never filmed) hinted at coming twists.

Anyway, I just picked this up on DVD ($17.99 from Best Buy). I liked the first story (dealt with religion) but not so much the second one.

Darknight
Lann Fisherman

Post by Darknight »

Agawa wrote:Hmm, I wish Babylon 5 was playing on tv still. I've heard it's really good, and my all time favorite tv show - DS9 - gets a lot of bashing for ripping of B5. I'd kind of enjoy comparing them myself, since all the websites I've gone to comparing them have really grasped at straws.

Firefly is probably my second favorite sci-fi, I suppose. It was truly excellant.
I guess some people would compare DS9 to B5 because they are both based on a space station. But in my opinion that is the only thing that is similar about them.

I don't mind DS9 but in my opinion B5 is 10x better (no exaggeration).

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

Darknight wrote:
I guess some people would compare DS9 to B5 because they are both based on a space station. But in my opinion that is the only thing that is similar about them.

I don't mind DS9 but in my opinion B5 is 10x better (no exaggeration).
Well, DS9 started out very different from B5. It was just the usual episodic Star Trek stuff like the original series and TNG were. B5, I think, was really the impetus that changed the Trek model. You'll notice that DS9 started becoming much more of a serial story beginning in...what, Season 3, and that both Voyager and Enterprise were much more into metaplot.

But I have to agree, for what it did, B5 did it best. So often through Seasons 3 and 4 I would sit there watching my jaw drop off the floor as I realized that some obscure side event in Season 1 was suddenly coming full circle to be explained that it amazed me. Season 5 was a bit off, probably because it wasn't determined until the eleventh hour that there would be a Season 5...also probably because Seasons 2-4 were my law school years, IIRC, and getting back home kind of drained the vibe.

Actually, come to think of it, Xenosaga reminds me of nothing so much as Babylon 5 in that respect--the way both are written as a narrative whole instead of being made up a few episodes or at best a year at a time.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

DezoPenguin wrote: Season 5 was a bit off, probably because it wasn't determined until the eleventh hour that there would be a Season 5...
Yeah, I agree. Unfortunately, a lot of the earlier parts of season 5 were moved forward so that the show could end cleanly if necessary. Also, I believe some of the telepath-related stories were originally going to involve Ivanova, who left the show.

Darknight
Lann Fisherman

Post by Darknight »

So any impressions from anyone on this?