oh. my. gosh.

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by phyco126 »

DeathBeforeDenial wrote:And while experience is important, study and knowledge will lend far more important information that will in the end allow for a much more well thought out and thorough (As well as respectable) opinion to be made.
Well, I'm very dead-beat right now, I'll respond to everything you said later, if not tomorrow after work. Right now I will admit, I'm not thinking clearly, and half the things I did say, well, it was said in such a way that I believe every Christian is that way. So when I do reply, I'll likely have actually had rest, and will be thinking far more clearly to articulate the post from a far more, calmer and smarter side.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

Post by DeathBeforeDenial »

Please, take your time. Not commiting a sober and well rested mind to this, I think we can agree, would be ridiculous.
They said that on Saturday evening Arsenius used to turn his back to the setting sun and stretch out his hands towards heaven and pray until, at dawn on Sunday, the rising sun lit up his face, and then he sat down again.

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

Back onto the original topic at hand, since this is way OT and probably deserves a topic of its own.

exigence: You should know that the BTBAM song "Selkies: The Endless Obsession" is highly influenced by the King Crimson song "Three of A Perfect Pair." Figured you might take a different perspective to that since you had the cover to In The Court of the Crimson King as your sig for a long time.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

Ozone wrote:Back onto the original topic at hand, since this is way OT and probably deserves a topic of its own.

exigence: You should know that the BTBAM song "Selkies: The Endless Obsession" is highly influenced by the King Crimson song "Three of A Perfect Pair." Figured you might take a different perspective to that since you had the cover to In The Court of the Crimson King as your sig for a long time.
ill have to give them a listen, three of a perfect pair is one of my favs.

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

exigence wrote:
Ozone wrote:Back onto the original topic at hand, since this is way OT and probably deserves a topic of its own.

ill have to give them a listen, three of a perfect pair is one of my favs.
On The Anatomy of Between the Buried and Me (their cover album), they actually cover Three of A Perfect Pair.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

Into metal chickadee's eh? One word. Otep.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

meg wrote:i like to sing along with my music. a little melody, a little play, and a little screaming. i wish there were more female singers in rock music, because i prefer rock, and boys tend to sing in an octave i can't match.
Are you familiar with Yeah Yeah Yeahs? Their singer, Karen O, is great with the screaming. They're one of my favorite bands.

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

Re: oh. my. gosh.

Post by DragonmasterAndy »

Ozone wrote:
exigence wrote:
meg wrote: like, a proper metal scream.

ithinki'minlove.
A proper what, screaming has nothing to do with real music. It makes me sick when i have to listen to some of my friends say....

"omfg the devil wears prada were so sweet even tho one of their screamers couldnt do the show, and bitbam"

"what"

"beteween the buried and me, god there like the best band ever, i mean the guy can scream so sweet it blows my mind."

At least this chick can sing halfway decent when she wants to, shes no lisa hammer or siouxsie sioux but she has a shread of potential if she would give up this screaming buisness.

I would put this song on the same level as farting the canadian national anthem, i think if the american national anthem was farted it would be a more sophisticated work of music.

why would you guys even waste your time watching this garbage im still sour for sitting through the whole thing with out killing myself. the time you spend listining to this could be better spent listing to aretha franklin if you like the female singer concept, or maybe ozzy and the queens of the stone age if you crave somthing a bit heavier, somewhere along the line you poor sould were guided down the crap side of music. Ozone i thought you like the Porcupine tree, now i dont know what to think. you guys are dead to me now :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I actually don't like Arch Enemy that much, but if I had to choose between Flyleaf and them, I'd pick the fretwork of Arch Enemy. Screaming has nothing to do with it. The same is true of Lamb of God, though I'm not sure singing would work well with the kinetic nature of their material. When it comes down to it, I'd take the voice of Bjork or Sharon from Within Temptation or Maynard over any voice in the metal business :P I just love the chops for the most part.

BTBAM has amazing skill when it comes to their instruments, but they really shine when the singer actually puts the screams away. The sweep arpeggios and measured blast beats are absolutely mind boggling.

Alice In Chains and Porcupine > metal
Conversations like these are why I hate when people try to talk about metal. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I feel like nobody is at all educated on what metal really is. They think it's one thing "Just heavy guitars and some guy screaming."

Go find out how sophisticated the genre is. Just saying "metal" is too general. Metal's too diverse. BTBAM and bands like that, are a horrible representation of metal. I know most people are probably tired of me being on my soap box, but the fact of the matter is, that hardly anyone these days in the general population, are educated on metal. PLEASE explore it. I beg of you guys, seriously. Please. I will listen to you all tell me that you hate me forever, but please explore it!
Choose Your Weapon

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

DragonmasterAndy wrote:They think it's one thing "Just heavy guitars and some guy screaming."
I thought that's what all rock music was.

*runs*

Actually, my favorite description of rock music was written by a blogger shortly before or after he had been dragged to a rock concert:
the-panopticon wrote:I'm not much of one for new music. It's all about familiarity, and most of us suffer from it: You listen mainly to what you like, and you like it because it sounds like what you've heard before. This is why when I listen to rock music I usually wind up saying the same things I hear from people I introduce to opera:

1. Why are they screaming?
2. I can't understand what they're saying.
3. Is there supposed to be a melody in there somewhere?
4. Doesn't this get on your nerves after a while?
5. Hey! Would you like to maybe watch TV instead?

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

DragonmasterAndy wrote:
Ozone wrote:
exigence wrote:

ithinki'minlove.
A proper what, screaming has nothing to do with real music. It makes me sick when i have to listen to some of my friends say....

"omfg the devil wears prada were so sweet even tho one of their screamers couldnt do the show, and bitbam"

"what"

"beteween the buried and me, god there like the best band ever, i mean the guy can scream so sweet it blows my mind."

At least this chick can sing halfway decent when she wants to, shes no lisa hammer or siouxsie sioux but she has a shread of potential if she would give up this screaming buisness.

I would put this song on the same level as farting the canadian national anthem, i think if the american national anthem was farted it would be a more sophisticated work of music.

why would you guys even waste your time watching this garbage im still sour for sitting through the whole thing with out killing myself. the time you spend listining to this could be better spent listing to aretha franklin if you like the female singer concept, or maybe ozzy and the queens of the stone age if you crave somthing a bit heavier, somewhere along the line you poor sould were guided down the crap side of music. Ozone i thought you like the Porcupine tree, now i dont know what to think. you guys are dead to me now :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I actually don't like Arch Enemy that much, but if I had to choose between Flyleaf and them, I'd pick the fretwork of Arch Enemy. Screaming has nothing to do with it. The same is true of Lamb of God, though I'm not sure singing would work well with the kinetic nature of their material. When it comes down to it, I'd take the voice of Bjork or Sharon from Within Temptation or Maynard over any voice in the metal business :P I just love the chops for the most part.

BTBAM has amazing skill when it comes to their instruments, but they really shine when the singer actually puts the screams away. The sweep arpeggios and measured blast beats are absolutely mind boggling.

Conversations like these are why I hate when people try to talk about metal. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I feel like nobody is at all educated on what metal really is. They think it's one thing "Just heavy guitars and some guy screaming."

Go find out how sophisticated the genre is. Just saying "metal" is too general. Metal's too diverse. BTBAM and bands like that, are a horrible representation of metal. I know most people are probably tired of me being on my soap box, but the fact of the matter is, that hardly anyone these days in the general population, are educated on metal. PLEASE explore it. I beg of you guys, seriously. Please. I will listen to you all tell me that you hate me forever, but please explore it!
That is my opinion, and while I'm not as savvy in the genre as you, I've been around it quite a bit, and a lot of it really isn't up my ally. I tend to stick to more progressive and innovative bands like Agalloch. I do have my little forays into bands like Kalmah, Borknagar, Immortal, Emperor, Cryptopsy, Benediction and Carcass, hell, I'll even go back to classics like Judas Priest, Testament, Slayer, Megadeth and Iron Maiden. but they are limited due to the fact that I can only listen to them for so long and I have to be in the right mood. I more consistently listen to metalcore (like your pet peeves: Shadows Fall and Lamb of God) or a more progressive variation of black or death metal (like Agalloch or Throes of Dawn) (yes, I'm one of those people who actually really like Opeth) than I do to what is classically defined as metal.

You have to remember, my three favorite bands are most certainly not metal: Alice In Chains, Porcupine Tree, and Nine Inch Nails.

Why isn't this in the Music forum?

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Ozone wrote:Why isn't this in the Music forum?
Well... It really didn't start out as a music discussion.

I'm gonna move it. Hopefully there are no objections? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

I kinda thought it did. It regarded a musician xD

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

Ozone wrote:
DragonmasterAndy wrote:
Ozone wrote:
exigence wrote:

ithinki'minlove.

"what"

That is my opinion, and while I'm not as savvy in the genre as you, I've been around it quite a bit, and a lot of it really isn't up my ally. I tend to stick to more progressive and innovative bands like Agalloch. I do have my little forays into bands like Kalmah, Borknagar, Immortal, Emperor, Cryptopsy, Benediction and Carcass, hell, I'll even go back to classics like Judas Priest, Testament, Slayer, Megadeth and Iron Maiden. but they are limited due to the fact that I can only listen to them for so long and I have to be in the right mood. I more consistently listen to metalcore (like your pet peeves: Shadows Fall and Lamb of God) or a more progressive variation of black or death metal (like Agalloch or Throes of Dawn) (yes, I'm one of those people who actually really like Opeth) than I do to what is classically defined as metal.

You have to remember, my three favorite bands are most certainly not metal: Alice In Chains, Porcupine Tree, and Nine Inch Nails.

Why isn't this in the Music forum?
Dude, all of my favorite bands are progressive in some way. It's my belief that being a progressive band, doesn't really make you a prog band. The two are separate. I'd take a progressive thrash metal band (Heathen), over something like Slayer. I actually hate Slayer. You're definitely entitled to your own tastes, which I never intend to attack.

OH...and....Opeth owns. :wink:
Choose Your Weapon

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

Opeth does own. I have to say, I didn't think they could top themselves after Deliverance and Damnation, but Ghost Reveries was brilliant.

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

Dude, Blackwater Park and Still Life, for the win! :lol:
Choose Your Weapon

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

Blackwater Park is definitely my overall favorite from them. It's probably been said a thousand times, but The Drapery Falls is great stuff.

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

See? That's why I love these forums so much. Many of the brilliant masses share my taste in music. ;)
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

You know what other band rules?

Gamma Ray. Kai Hansen = God of Power Metal, and that's not even debatable. He literally created Power Metal. He's awesome. He's one of the few lead vocalists who can play lead guitar, as well. He's amazing.
Choose Your Weapon

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

That's hilarious, actually. You're about the fourth person to recommend them to me. I think I'll have to check them out.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

DragonmasterAndy wrote:You know what other band rules?

Gamma Ray. Kai Hansen = God of Power Metal, and that's not even debatable. He literally created Power Metal. He's awesome. He's one of the few lead vocalists who can play lead guitar, as well. He's amazing.
is kai hansen the one with the guy from blind guardian?