Best Book Evar!!

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Deathblood
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80
Location: In survitude to The Reapers and about to kill Commander Shepard

Best Book Evar!!

Post by Deathblood »

What's yalls' fav book? Mine is definetly Warriors Series 2 The New Prophecy Book 6 Sunset. I know it's for preteens but I can't stop reading them!
Ways of death comes in many shapes. But there are only a few shapes of death itself.[/i]

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Re: Best Book Evar!!

Post by Sonic# »

Yeah, the preteen books ... those change a lot in so little time, I've never heard of that one. Mine was Animorphs, by and large... and Goosebumps, to a lesser extent.

My favorite book... tough to say. I have many. I love The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov. The Hobbit (by Tolkien) is another one. And Le Morte Darthur... an old, old book by Sir Thomas Malory about Arthurian legends. It's probably an acquired taste, but I like it enough to be writing my thesis on it this semester.

Other than that, I pretty much love any book that forces me to read swiftly through the last half because I cannot put it down... or ones where I think about them long after I read them, and still have good memories of them. Harry Potter would go under this. As would Persuasion, by Jane Austen (I like her other works, but this one was the one that I had to finish). And so on.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

For me, "Sexual Personae" by Camille Paglia. It opened my eyes to a lot of subjects that I still am fascinated by and read about regularly today.
Last edited by ilovemyguitar on Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

My favorite Trilogy is "His Dark Materials" which consists of "The Golden Compass" (The Northern Lights in the UK,) "The Subtle Knife" and "The Amber Spyglass."

Animorphs, hehe, I got to attempt to rebuy the entire book set. I read all of the books until I think book 36, then it got spotty until I missed like, everything from 42 on or something like that.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

George Orwell's 1984 tops the list.

Close to that is Josef Conrad's Heart of Darkness.
It's a great story, and Conrad was just so brilliant with imagery. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

I could be here all day:

The House of the Wolf -- Basil Copper (the best traditional Gothic horror novel ever written, bar none--I also recommend his The Curse of the Fleers, Necropolis, and The Black Death, in that order)

Sorcery and Cecelia -- Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer (this book was the original source of my reading the five hundred or so Regency romances I've read in my life...which may not actually be a positive recommendation, come to think of it) :D

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes -- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (any Sherlock Holmes book is great, but this one is the best of the lot, IMO)

The Diamond Throne, The Ruby Knight, and The Sapphire Rose -- David Eddings (I consider "The Elenium" his best work, better than any of the Garion books)

The Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through -- Stephen Donaldson (I actively dislike the Thomas Covenant books, but "Mordant's Need" is a classic)

Elfshadow -- Elaine Cunningham

The Raven Ring -- Patricia C. Wrede

The collected works of Edgar Allan Poe--not only an exceptional story-writer, but quite literally the only poet whose works I can tolerate

Kim Harrison's "The Hollows" series is my favorite urban-fantasy series, and unlike Laurell Hamilton's Anita Blake books it hasn't jumped the shark yet.

Loyalty in Death, Conspiracy in Death, Divided in Death and Immortal in Death -- Nora Roberts writing as J.D. Robb (actually, the entire series is great, but these four are my favorites)

And Kizyr, I hate you for liking works of genuine literary content! :D

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

DezoPenguin wrote:And Kizyr, I hate you for liking works of genuine literary content! :D
Well, I also really like The Dresden Files, by Jim Butcher. I'm at the start of Book 5 right now (Death Masks). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

Kizyr wrote:
DezoPenguin wrote:And Kizyr, I hate you for liking works of genuine literary content! :D
Well, I also really like The Dresden Files, by Jim Butcher. I'm at the start of Book 5 right now (Death Masks). KF
I'm just starting in on the latest Dresden Files book: White Night :)

I have a huge list, but I couldn't possibly pick a single favorite.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Kizyr wrote:
Hey now, don't diss the Conrad. He's a better writer than nearly every writer in English, especially including all those who learned English as a first or even second language.

I didn't like 1984 quite as much though. But that's only personal taste there... it's really good.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Too many books to mention all of them... I didn't used to read much, but I've amassed a small library in the past 6-7 years. Some of the faves:

Chronicles of Narnia - They'll always be my favorites I think.
Harry Potter - They're probably high up because they're still fresh in my mind, but I really did enjoy this series greatly.
Zion Covenant series - by Brock and Bodie Thoene - Probably not very well know, but some of the best historical fiction I've ever read. I had little interest in the World War II time-period before this, but have great interest in it now. These were extremely well-written, LONG, and as historically accurate as you can get. The authors spent years researching the time period, and based each major character around real people that lived through it. The stories in the books are very similiar stories to the people they were based on (with names and such changed). The series focuses heavily on the Jewish plight in Nazi-occupied territory, specifically the take-over of Austria, Czechoslovakia and Poland, and finishes with the Nazi's push into France.
Room of Marvels - by James Bryan Smith - I have a bias to this as my old professor wrote it. He lost his best friend (a famous composer and musician who went to my university), his mother and his 2-year old disabled daughter all in less than a year. The book is fiction, but he writes it in a way that the character represents himself, hurting from the loss of so many so quick. The book is fantastic because it can be a great help to people who are down after the loss of a loved one.
-G1

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

I've read alot of books but i cant think of one more powerfull than "Diary of a Drug Fiend" by Aleister Crowley, it was the first novel he published. it follows Sir Peter Pendragon and Unlimited Lou whom he married only a few days after first meting her. They start off in a cocaine and heroin honneymoon and end in terible shape, but by finding their true wills they are able to stop. To find their true wills they need to isolate themselves from their friends and family, they need to think about what their purpose on earth is and what they were ment to do in life only by discovering this can they overcome their addiction and in peters case even use drugs to help him to do his true will.

"I am the Snake that giveth Knowledge & Delight and bright glory, and stir the hearts of men with drunkenness. To worship me take wine and strange drugs whereof I will tell my prophet, & be drunk thereof! They shall not harm ye at all."
The words to worship me are all important, the only excuse for using any drug is to assist nature to overcome some obstacle to her proper functions the danger of the so called habit forming drugs is that they fool you into trying to dodge the toil essential to spritual and intellectual development. there is nothing in nature that cannot be used for our benefit, and its up to us to use it wisely.

The book may seem to be about drugs on the surface but it can be applied to any problem.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Oh I almost forgot to list these ones!

Lunar: SSS, Vol. 4
Lunar: EB, Vol. 2
Lunar: EB, Vol. 3

Those, to me, are the best of the lot. Maybe one day maybe I'll read a novel in Japanese that isn't about Lunar... ...eventually. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Hey Exigence, is your sig a reference to Harold and Kumar? Or do you just really like Doogie Howser?

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

Don't know why I didn't notice this topic before.

In any case, my favorite book is David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. It's funny because I had to read it for a high school English class and at first I hated it, then I was convincing myself that I still hated it even though I couldn't put it down, and then I finally just admitted to myself that I actually liked it.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

Harold and Kumar 2. :wink:

Hirox
Student of Vane

Post by Hirox »

I think Battle Royale is my favorite book of all time. When I was younger I was quite fond of Animorphs as well...hah.
Other books would be I am America, and so can you! By Stephen Colbert.
World War Z/Zombie Survival guide I enjoyed alot by Max Brooks.
And The Book of 5 Rings by Miyamoto Musashi.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

battle royal was a book, cool that was a bad ash movie.

Hirox
Student of Vane

Post by Hirox »

Awww man! If you thought the movies was awesome...the book blows it away. I enjoyed the movie as well but the book is probally 15X better. I highly suggest you get it if your into the movie. Its a really fast/good read even tho its like 800 pages long ha.

Deathblood
Student of Vane
Location: In survitude to The Reapers and about to kill Commander Shepard

Post by Deathblood »

yay! 2 pages long. my first one. thanks guys. i fell happy. :)
Ways of death comes in many shapes. But there are only a few shapes of death itself.[/i]

Sadrin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sadrin »

I always liked those 3D-chose-your-path-books. lol I don't read much. :/ I have a hard time getting into books. I liked Requiem for a dream. but my fave book has to be... i know stupid but its called The guide to getting it on. Yeah yeah i know. sounds perverted! but its really not! very good book. Anything you've ever wanted to know about yourself or another person is very well covered. Covers Everyone! I learned more in 10 mins than i did in any sex-ed class in highschool.
Depend On You Changed My Life.