What are you currently reading?

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: What are you currently reading?

Post by DezoPenguin »

Currently I'm rereading some Robert Ludlum. I finished The Bourne Ultimatum, just wrapped up The Aquitaine Progression today, and am moving on to The Parsifal Mosaic.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

I'm currently rereading The Lord of the Rings fpr the twelth time. :mrgreen:
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

I'm re-reading Eragon by Christopher Paolini.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Gave up on Song of Solomon. Now trudging my way through Ulysses. Actually, I am enjoying it quite a bit even though it's been a slow read so far.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I had to read Beloved not long ago, and it made me interested in trying Song of Solomon, even though Tori Morrison is a stretch for me.

Right now I'm reading The Two Towers again. There are many reasons for it, among them conquering Lord of the Rings trivia. And I'm still reading through the Oxford Guide to Arthurian Literature, though that is very slow going.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Maru
Bromide Hunter

Post by Maru »

MaroonChan wrote:I'm re-reading Eragon by Christopher Paolini.
Uungh. I tried to read that, due to all the hype. I got through only a few sentences at the book store and was like, "Wow. This is a book written by a 15 year old. And it shows." (No offense meant, by the way. :) To each his own.)

Right now I'm reading the comic book series called "Fables", which my older brother recently got me into. Gotta say, I'm not a big comic book reader, but I am damn impressed.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Reading a fictional book titled Eighth Shepherd currently, but I'm more into some non-fiction at the moment. I've been reading and researching the modern-day slave trade a lot in the past few months, and two books in particular have been getting 30 minutes a night before bed:

Not for Sale: The Return of the Global Slave Trade--and How We Can Fight It by David Batstone and Ending Slavery: How We Free Today's Slaves by Kevin Bales.

Both have been extremely informative so far.
-G1

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

Breaking Dawn from the Twilight series :]

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

I am reading Mass Effect: Ascension. It's pretty good, mainly because one of the game's writers (Drew Karpyshn) is the author of both books.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Jorge Luis Borges' Ficciones. I'm enjoying it so far.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I'm currently writing/reading an idea in my head for a trilogy. Its pwnage and involves immoratility. XD

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Now that's a typo that could be mentally corrected a couple of ways...

On a whim, I picked up Mercedes Lackey's "Winds of Change", the second in one of her umpteen Velgarth/Valdemar trilogies. I felt like rereading one scene, and of course I've ended up rereading the whole thing. Hopefully I'll manage to keep myself from rereading the whole series; I'm a fast reader and the books go by quickly, but it'd still take me out of commission for a few days.

I have a few unread books awaiting me, which is relatively unusual as I tend to start them right away. Eragon has been waiting for years; I picked it up on a whim at Costco a while back but have never felt like actually opening it. The last book in the Bartimaeus trilogy ditto, because I know I'll need to reread the first two to make any sense of the last. And Old Man's War by John Scalzi, because I started reading his blog and thought that maybe I ought to read a book of his too so more of the posts were intelligible. That one's only been waiting a few weeks, though.

Oh. I almost forgot that I've been reading The Psychology of Everyday Things, by Donald Norman. It was kind of funny when he wrote that the technology to build what we'd now call a PDA (he basically described my BlackBerry) existed, but was currently prohibitively expensive, and that an early form of it would probably be around in five years and possibly perfected in ten. That was published in 1988. I wish I could remember what stuff of that type may have existed in 1998, but I wasn't paying attention then.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Oh, oh! I'm reading the Lemina novel right now!
...very slowly.

It's good, in fact. Rather interesting background to Lemina's character. A lot of things are beginning to make sense. Like why she wants to charge you for "renting" the treasures of Vane. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I've read tons so far. For what I've read for class this week, there's Sensus Communis by the Third Earl of Shaftesbury, Fable of the Bees by Bernard Mandeville, Freud's case on the "Wolf Man," part of the Idealogues by Marx, Notes from Underground by Dostoevsky, Lancelot by Chretien de Trois, and lots of assorted Mikhail Bakhtin essays on literary genre.

Then for the sheer pleasure of it, I'm reading The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco and finishing up The Return of the King by Mr. T.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Old Jericho
Reza Thief

Post by Old Jericho »

Just finished the Nausicaa manga.
Good stuff.

Reading The Stand, and then probably Cormac Macarthy's The Road.

I'm just in a really post-apocalyptic mood.
This is my signature. It is a work of art.

Squall
Meryod Yokel

Post by Squall »

I'm reading Bleach, Berserk, and Genshiken.

Esco
NPC

Post by Esco »

Reading Bastard & Nana.
-Esco

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I'm re-reading the Lemina novel, for one. I hope to have a summary for it by the end of the year on LunarNET (meaning, it'll be the last one).

I'm also reading Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri, one of my favorite modern authors.

After this, I really hope I can get back to translating the Lunar manga, and then the Russian novels my father gave me, and the rest of The Dresden Files. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Old Jericho wrote:Just finished the Nausicaa manga.
Good stuff.
That's one of my favorite manga.

Right now I'm reading Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner. Sword duellers in a strange fantasy 18th-century Paris-like place where the aristocracy rules.

And I just finished Lancelot by Walker Percy. I can't really describe it adequately... sociopathic but charming narrator, Lancelot Andrews Lamar, tells from a mental institution about his fall into mediocrity as a Louisiana southern gent, and why he did a terrible event. Every sentence in that book is more exciting (and weird) than that.
Sonic#

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

I have just recently completed "Blood and Steel" by C.L. Werner. Black library is indeed good.
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."