Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Sonic# »

Then a whole bunch of literature just starts off on the wrong foot, quoting some earlier work to set the mood for the piece. ;)

Go not like the quarry slave at night, scourged to his dungeon, betrayed by quotations, but instead approach this, like one who wraps the drapery of his couch about him, and lies down to pleasant dreams.

I'm neutral on the quotations. It's great with, great without. As long as I like what's said.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Still disagreed... It's actually very creative, when used appropriately. Folks here have too much of a fear of plagiarism, to the extent where admitting influence from previous works is dangerous. It really gets to a ridiculous extent.

Personally, I much prefer the take that Japanese literature has on it. Most everyone educated had hundreds of poems and works of art memorized. The best ones were compiled thematically, where compiling was just as much an art as composing. When an artist used a line from an older poem, everyone recognized it, and the line took on a double meaning: the recollection of the feeling and mood of the original poem, and the new meaning it has placed in a new work. More interestingly, many poetry contests involved using two lines from an older poem between three original lines. The skill was with writing the original lines so that the borrowed lines took on a new meaning. Seeing this at work is really fascinating, to be honest.

It's very similar to how hip-hop operates in modern culture. The way compiling poetry volumes was an art form in Heian Era Japan, composing remixes by compiling older songs is an art form in the hip-hop world (DJing being one of the four arts of hip-hop). And, a lot of rap songs borrow beats and some lyrics (usually a well-inserted chorus line) from old songs, putting them in a fresh context. Some better rap songs will recall the mood of the original, comparing it to the mood evoked by the original lyrics. Again, seeing it at work--and we're talking good rap, here, not most of the crap that gets popular--is really fascinating.

There, to defend the art of literary reference, I had to draw comparisons between medieval Japanese poetry and modern hip-hop. It's all good. Just like when I heard a teacher retort to another woman's complaint by saying "the lady doth protest too much". That was brilliance. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Speaking of making a movie off of other influences... how about Kill Bill? Pretty much that whole movie is based off of past television shows/movies/people... and yet it's one of the most popular movies.

Rego
Student of Vane

Post by Rego »

This what such a good movie, not to mention the hilarious dialogue.

It is definetly a must buy for tape/dvd.

I think Tim Burton did a good job explaing Willy Wonka to people who have not read the books and have only seent he movie. Excellent,

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

I'm going to watch it on DVD again today on my big screen. Oh wait... did I say that out loud? Err... I meant of course... I'm going to the theater to see it again... yes... of course... :shock::shock::shock:

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Greensky wrote:I'm going to watch it on DVD again today on my big screen. Oh wait... did I say that out loud? Err... I meant of course... I'm going to the theater to see it again... yes... of course... :shock::shock::shock:

Dude, if you're going to do it, fine, but you've been posting like this on a number of occassions as if you're trying to bait someone or make an intentional point out of it. I really don't want the piracy talk here. Please stop.
-G1

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Sorry GhaleonOne. I completely respect everyone here, and if one person doesn't like anything I bring up, then I will stop immediately. Thank you for voicing your concern over this particular matter.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

::Shrugs:: Willy Wonka was brillant, but Charlie and the Chocolate factory speaks with a voice all it's own and that's what makes me like it so much.

Although, I'd give anything for them to get rid of Burton's Oompa Loompas...I've come to the conclusion that I thought they were annoying :P
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

Greensky wrote:I'm going to watch it on DVD again today on my big screen. Oh wait... did I say that out loud? Err... I meant of course... I'm going to the theater to see it again... yes... of course... :shock::shock::shock:

I love how people are proud that they don't support the things they enjoy.
-Rich-

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Well, usually I go to theaters for movies that I just have to see. But for movies that I'm uncertain of, or would regularily never go to theaters for, I download. I figure I'm not hurting anyone by doing it this way.

I am going to see Dukes of Hazzard in theaters, opening night! Woohoo! I loved the dukes of hazzard television series.

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

It was more accurate, methinks. However, I still didn't like it at all.... Go see Batman Begins or Mr. ans Mrs. Smith instead. Or, better yet go rent a GOOD Burton movie.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

Rego
Student of Vane

Post by Rego »

I LOVED IT ^^ It was so funny. Although poor Johnny did have to get botox - -'...He was not happy about that. Who would? Having needles stuck in your face -shutter-

Anyway i saw Sky High that was good. Fantastic Four was good. Charlie was good. Madagascar was strange but funny. I want to see Narnia and 40 year old virgin.

Batman was good, I cant remember all the other ones I saw.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I still think that someone went into the future and stole my autobiography about me called The 40 Year Old Virgin: Life of an Unfortunate Virgin. Pfft. I need a lawyer.

I saw Charlie as well, I have to admit I loved the Ompaas (or however their spelt). Although it was played by one guy, I thought it was great, and the songs where pretty awesome.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

Rego wrote:Although poor Johnny did have to get botox - -'...

Where did you hear that? After a quick googling and check at IMDB, I don't see any mention of it anywhere...
-Rich-

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

phyco126 wrote:I still think that someone went into the future and stole my autobiography about me called The 40 Year Old Virgin: Life of an Unfortunate Virgin. Pfft. I need a lawyer.

I saw Charlie as well, I have to admit I loved the Ompaas (or however their spelt). Although it was played by one guy, I thought it was great, and the songs where pretty awesome.

Oompa loompa, ooompa loompa.

Yes, that is all O_o.

A waste of valuable space, I know.

ANYWAY! Sky High actually looked kinda funny, I might be able to be bribed into seeing that.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

He got Botox??? Come on. Seriously?

I did not like the Ooompa Loompas in the new one. :P For like the 3rd time in this thread.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I still contend that the Oompa Loompa here was absolutely brilliant. I liked him.

ANYWAY! Sky High actually looked kinda funny, I might be able to be bribed into seeing that.

Sky High is so cheesy, but it's so adorably cheesy. I mean, so long as you have a good sense of humour and take it for what it's worth (a light, fun movie) then you'll be too busy enjoying it to care about all the cheesiness. Most of it's your usual high school drama bit, though with less of the annoying teen angst, and... superpowers.

I definitely recommend it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

I recommend Sin City when it comes out on DVD August 16th 2005. Good movie.

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

Laputa: Castle in the Sky is still my favorite full motion flick. Maybe I'll watch Charlie/Wonka and his gang sooner or later.