Harry Potter?

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Harry Potter?

Post by GhaleonOne »

Anyone see it? Surprised noone here has mentioned it yet, as I know quite a few of you were into it.

I liked it. Not as much as other people apparently did, but I also saw it at the worst possible midnight showing ever with very annoying people all over the place. Not the usual midnight crowd though... you can expect some level of cheering, laughing, clapping, etc. at a midnight show, but this was ridiculous. In fact, they showed the stupid Twilight trailer and there was a very large group that went apeshit behind us. Scared the hell out of me to be honest, cause we're just sitting here eating some nachos and 20 freaking people start screaming at the top of their lungs when the two guys in the trailer were shown. The stuff during the movie is what pissed me off though. I don't need people laughing during one of the most serious scenes in the entire series (those of you that read the books know what I mean, towards the end, after the trip to the cave... yeah, that scene was ruined by talking/laughing people).

Still, the acting was good, and I think it was really good as a movie. I just don't know how much I liked some of the smaller changes from the book. I'll post more in spoiler code later once I know others even wanna discuss it.
-G1

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: Harry Potter?

Post by Ardent Fox »

I've been feeling horrible for the past few days after days and days of being out in the heat. Therefor I've not had the energy to drag myself to the theater. Also, the theaters here are pretty bad, this being a small town. I just know someone at work is going to shoot their mouth off about it too. Oh well, I'll just have to wear earplugs all day.

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

I haven't seen it yet, i want to though. I read the book but i cant remember what happens. I probably wont see it in the theaters, mostly because the closest one is 45mins away, but i can also wait for it to come out on dvd. I still need to watch Order of the Phoenix.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I didn't see any Twilight trailer, and we were speculating about it. We did see the Where the Wild Things are one though. ^_^

I liked the movie. Too early to say much more. As far as what they left in, I really enjoyed the flirtatious scenes, the love tension, as well as the scenes with Dumbledore and Harry, Harry and Hermione, or Harry and Slughorn. However, I was a bit dismayed there wasn't a big Dumbledore's Army scene near the end. I'm glad Luna had a greater role, but... where did Neville go? :/
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

Asked a girl out to see this tonight. Cross your fingers for me. I don't wanna go see it by myself :P

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Shin Otaku III wrote:Asked a girl out to see this tonight. Cross your fingers for me. I don't wanna go see it by myself :P
Crossed. Hopefully it'll go better than my date to see HP, which didn't itself go badly. :D
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

That's funny G1 I went to a midnight showing and the audience booed the twilight trailer. :D I can't believe people where laughing during the scene after the cave. I would have hated watching the movie in that theater.

Overall I liked the movie, it could have been worse. I thought there was going to be a lot more action I kept waiting for them to go to the cave, I was waiting for more communication between Harry and the order. After watching the trailer I guess I had high hopes. I enjoyed the funnier parts of the movie but I feel like it took away from the seriousness. They could have used some of the time to develop the plot better. I was also a little disappointed I felt like they didn't place as much importance on the half-blood prince as they should have. That's all I’m going to say I don't want to go into detail because I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

FYI this is my favorite book in the series.

CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest

Post by CatsWithMatches »

I liked it. I think they've gotten better at cutting parts out. That may sound strange, but it didn't feel as disjointed as any of the previous films.

And from a cinematography standpoint, I thought the use of light was just brilliant. Many very pretty (albeit dark) shots.

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

I enjoyed it. I love the book, but this movie disappointed just a little, but i'm still hanging on the theory that a movie can just as good as a book. I felt that it was directed the best of the series so far. The only thing I want to say that won't spoil the movie is that the love scenes were good, but they were too much in retrospect because the dark and serious scenes felt rushed. I give it a 7.5 out of 10 8-)
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

Sonic# wrote:Crossed. Hopefully it'll go better than my date to see HP, which didn't itself go badly. :D
Just an update.. I got stood up :\ I did go see it last night with a different date and that did go well :) I've heard from most of my friends that this Harry Potter was darker than the others, but there were definitely plenty of parts I laughed out loud in. I felt kind of retarded in a couple of parts. I was like the only one laughing :oops: Anyways thanks for the support! Try #2 a success!! haha :)

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

I thought this was one of the better movies I've seen in the last few months, frankly.