Favorite anime

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
ajrich17901
Meryod Yokel
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Favorite anime

Post by ajrich17901 »

Some of my favs in no order,

Inuyasha
Azumanga Daioh
Noir
Angelic Layer
Chobits
Pretear
Vampire Princess Miyu
Excel Saga

Old_School
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Old_School »

During my late teens, I was really into Ranma 1/2. The first season had a different animation sytle and a continuous story, so it was awesome. After that, most of the episodes quit being related to each other and the series deteroirated into a bunch of random gibberish.

GhaleonBonne
Meribian Merchant

Post by GhaleonBonne »

Not trying to start a flame war, but if you have a strong stomach check out Berserk. It has depth and is genuinely engaging. Lunar is my first love story-wise. Berserk is like the second-girlfriend who shows me how to be a man, in a way.

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

GhaleonBonne wrote:Not trying to start a flame war, but if you have a strong stomach check out Berserk. It has depth and is genuinely engaging. Lunar is my first love story-wise. Berserk is like the second-girlfriend who shows me how to be a man, in a way.

... ... ... GRIIIIIFFFFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<3 Berserk.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

GhaleonBonne wrote:Not trying to start a flame war, but if you have a strong stomach check out Berserk. It has depth and is genuinely engaging. Lunar is my first love story-wise. Berserk is like the second-girlfriend who shows me how to be a man, in a way.
Given the content of Berserk, that might be the most disturbing analogy I've ever heard.

But it reminds me that I need to finish watching that series. I borrowed it from a friend, watched the first disc, got swamped with classwork, and had to return it.

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

Sonix wrote:Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, Great Teacher Onizuka (manga is better though), Princess Mononoke and Outlaw Star (still watching, but its great).
Since then, I've finished Outlaw Star (which is probably my favorite) and today, I've watched Sennen Joyu/Millennium Actress and man, it was so amazing. It still has an effect on me :)
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Dragon Master Lunar81
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Dragon Master Lunar81 »

Outlaw Star is a great anime, isn't it? I watched that when I was very young. Maybe 12? I don't even remember it but hearing about it again just reminds me of how much I loved it back then.

At this current moment, Inuyasha: The Final Act has to be the best anime on the air. What the anime producers of Inuyasha did was genius! Instead of realeasing filler arc after arc, they stopped the Anime and waited until the Manga was completed to pick up where they left off. At that point where they ended the Anime, the Manga started to pick up too!!

Now, the new Inuyasha series is packed with action/emotion/suspense which is everything it should have been in the Original Series. I watch one episode of the new series and every single episode is satisfying and it feels like if it was not there, the story would somehow suffer. The Anime really makes the story come alive especially considering a story so filled with fantasy such as Inuyasha.

The one problem is that if you haven't watched the entire original anime series like I did, then I can understand the new series having a considerably less effect than it did on me. If you have watched most or all of the original series and somewhat liked it, I highly recommend the new series. It makes up for every single crappy episode in the original series and then some. I didn't think the Inuyasha anime could ever be saved but was I gladly surprised.

The classics as well including Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Samurai Pizza Cats, Cardcaptor Sakura, Escaflowne, Gundam Wing and Sailor Moon will always hold a special place in my heart.

On the other hand, Bleach should have done what Inuyasha has done because if Bleach could only air as nicely as Inuyasha is now it might be better than it is but I guess since the Manga relies so much on suspense too than I guess this is how you would transcribe it in Anime form.

I have recently started watching Sailor Moon again. Are there any other Sailor Moon fans? If so, did you like the Japanese Version or the US Version better? I much prefer the US version mostly because of the memories I get by watching it and I really appreciated the Sailor Says section at the end of the US episodes. As a kid, these are important lessons that I took for granted at the time. I don't understand the people who can't stand the English version. The dubbing isn't that bad.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I've been rewatching Sailor Moon a little bit at a time ever since about December. I attempted rewatching it in English at first. I grew up on Sailor Moon as a kid and adored it, but now the English dub irritates me to no end. It's mainly Sailor Moon's voice that bugs me. Everyone else was kind of okay in the English dub. I also don't like how they cut and changed so much in the English version either though. In the Japanese, it's a lot more mature and often has way different dialogue than the English. I'm not saying to watch just the Japanese though. I think to get the full experience you need to watch both languages. Even though the English really cut stuff out and it's quite childish, it's still worth the watch.

I'm currently in the middle of SuperS. I can't wait to get to Stars, since that's the only season I've NEVER seen (I read the manga of Stars though). I would have just watched Stars first in my little Sailor Moon marathon, but I wanted to go through the show in order, including the movies. ^^;

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Sailor Stars is excellent. I can't decide if it's my favorite season or not... Either that or Super S, though R comes close too. I'm a huge anime nerd in general, but Sailor Moon specifically I have an obscene amount of praise. Nostalgia I guess. But yes, I have all the seasons in my vast anime collection, which includes the live action series and, ready for this..? Seramyu. If you don't know what Seramyu is, they're live action stage adaptations of Sailor Moon, in musical format. And I have them all... ... ... God I'm a nerd. .__.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I've seen a few episodes of the live action Sailor Moon on Youtube. It's kind of cheesy, but pretty amusing. I liked it. I'll probably watch more of them whenever I actually get good internet. I've never seen the stage adaption, but I have heard of it. Is it better than the live action?

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Oh definitely. There's some pretty cheesy parts in the musicals too mind you, but its good quality work. Good acting, good music, good adaptation of an excellent series. Here's one of my favorite songs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTSR89tVQIE

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

OMFG I love live action Sailor Moon (by which I mean PGSM). And not even ironically. :lol: Well, initially I did like it ironically since the budget and direction are laughable, but now I'm just plain into it. Like how I was addicted to Power Rangers in the late 90s.
「まあいいけど。」

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Yeah, it was corny, but it definitely had it's appeal. I'm a fan. The ending was excellent too, and the special episode after the series with Usagi and Mamoru's wedding? Definitely a cool addition.

Rez
Saith Pirate

Post by Rez »

Got to go with Elfin Lied.
-Oh, look at the smarty smart pants with his really smart pants!

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

My friend let me borrow Elfen Lied. For someone who watches things along the lines of Lain and Monster, would this be worth watching?

Audric
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Audric »

Currently - Fairy Tail

All time - Gurren Lagann

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I even made a thread about it. My god, it's fantastic.

But if we're going to go with anime series, it's the also recently discovered Haibane Renmei. I have taken a liking to Spice and Wolf, but I dunno whether to rank it among my favorites yet. Let's see how the third season goes, because I don't think I'd have patience for a fourth.

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

ShindoW wrote:My friend let me borrow Elfen Lied. For someone who watches things along the lines of Lain and Monster, would this be worth watching?
Definitely. Not along the same trippy standards as Lain, nor the psychological stimulation from Monster, but it's a good middle ground. Gotta be prepared for some super depressing stuff though, not exactly the happiest series, but it is a goodun.
Audric wrote:Currently - Fairy Tail

All time - Gurren Lagann
WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!?! Kamina is all that is man.
Vyse of Arcadia wrote:The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I even made a thread about it. My god, it's fantastic.

But if we're going to go with anime series, it's the also recently discovered Haibane Renmei. I have taken a liking to Spice and Wolf, but I dunno whether to rank it among my favorites yet. Let's see how the third season goes, because I don't think I'd have patience for a fourth.
I am definitely a fan of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Excellent movie. Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of Haibane Renmei. Not that it wasn't good, just not worthy of all the praise it's received in my eyes. And Spice and Wolf is also excellent. You wont be disappointed.

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon wrote:
Vyse of Arcadia wrote:The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I even made a thread about it. My god, it's fantastic.

I am definitely a fan of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Excellent movie. Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of Haibane Renmei. Not that it wasn't good, just not worthy of all the praise it's received in my eyes. And Spice and Wolf is also excellent. You wont be disappointed.
I have definitely enjoyed Spice and Wolf so far. I love the setting. It just has the perfect balance between realistic and fantastic. And my god the ending theme gets stuck in one's head. And the characters are engaging and realistic. And Horo/Holo is adorable. But after watching two seasons, I'm unsure of whether it'll actually go anywhere or just keep going until it becomes a stale shadow of its former self. I hate for the series to end, but I hope it does so on a high note, instead of just dragging on and on.

Audric
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Audric »

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon wrote:
WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!?! Kamina is all that is man.
Kamina is a badass, no doubt there.

And elfen lied is def worth a watch.