I'm getting an ocarina

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: I'm getting an ocarina

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:Huh, all these years and I didn't know Kiz played an instrument.
I've played piano for like a decade also, so reading music's also no sweat. Usually. I could never quite get coordination of my left and right hands down very well (without tons of practice at the same song) and sort of plateaued after the fifth year or so.

Oh, we should totally do a duet like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55vtOmGS_BI
Alunissage wrote:If you're used to playing pretty much any wind instrument other than recorder, clarinet, or open-hole flute, it's probably going to take some practice to get the feel of where your fingers need to be to cover the holes, since you don't need to be as precise where to put your fingers.
Most of the clarinets I've seen have been closed rather than open-holed, I think... I can't quite remember, though (and it could be a sampling bias anyhow). But still, yeah, that's the exact thing I'm trying to work on now. I think I'm getting there, though. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Kizyr wrote:
Most of the clarinets I've seen have been closed rather than open-holed, I think... I can't quite remember, though (and it could be a sampling bias anyhow). But still, yeah, that's the exact thing I'm trying to work on now. I think I'm getting there, though. KF

I'm assuming that was a typo and you mean flute not clarinet. Clarinets are generally always open-holed. It's the beginner/intermediate flutes that are often closed.

Alun do you play harp?

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Monde Luna wrote:I'm assuming that was a typo and you mean flute not clarinet. Clarinets are generally always open-holed. It's the beginner/intermediate flutes that are often closed.
Oh that wasn't a typo. I meant clarinet. I was just apparently mistaken to begin with. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

It's all good. =)

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

I have an ocarina.... on my iPhone! OOOOOOOOOH WHAT NOW!?

Sorry, had to.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Monde Luna wrote:I was going to go on and describe my thoughts until I realized my descriptions where full of puns that do not need to be said on L-net... I can hear the jokes now.
>.> You're ruining all my fun.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Jenner I was just going to say on the sax all you have to do is finger and blow. Mod's feel free to delete this post. :oops:

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Monde Luna wrote:all you have to do is finger and blow.
This is relevant to my interests.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Monde Luna wrote:Alun do you play harp?
Yep. Or I did, anyway; after playing pedal harp in my university's orchestra I got kind of spoiled for folk harp and since I can't afford my own pedal harp I haven't played in years. :| I've also played a bit of clarinet, alto sax, recorder, violin, and cello, plus the usual piano, and sung in choirs.

I should note that I don't claim any actual skill with any of these, although I did participate in some sort of performance with all except recorder. Flute and piano are the only things I've played in the last ten or fifteen years, pretty much.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Nice, that's very diverse. I'm decent at the woodwinds but I don't really have skill with any other instruments. I <3 the harp though it's such a beautiful instrument. And the Cello is also one of my favs.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

I've got an ocarina myself. Haven't played it really. I'd like to though. I think its a 10 hole one judging by pictures. I just picked it up at the fair. Its ceramic, I think. Man, now I want to learn. Actually, I'd like to drag out my keyboard too.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

By the way, I'm still practicing very regularly on this and (I hope) getting better each day.

One of my problems is hitting high notes while still sounding good, rather than shrill. Another is just with speed and accuracy on the very low and very high notes. I'm working on the melody part to Time's Scar from Chrono Cross to help with that part.

I also have Luna's song figured out, and some of Alex/Dyne's song. I'm trying to figure out the entirety of the ocarina part to Wings / the overworld, though, and I can't quite get all of it right. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Undine
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Undine »

We need MP3s of you playing at once. No time for this "practice" of which you speak.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I'm still not used to playing in front of other folks. To date, Jenner's the only one around whom I've played the ocarina. She can vouch for me when I say that I'm still a bit inexperienced, and whether or not I'm okay or not-so-great. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

You've gone from suck to blow. Now just don't blow too hard, because it's all about breath management.