I'm getting an ocarina

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

I'm getting an ocarina

Post by Kizyr »

Now all I have to do is figure out which one do I buy.

After looking around, I'm sort of settled on a 12-hole "sweet potato" style ocarina, since that has about the range I'm looking for (close to two octaves, alto or soprano). My budget is about $100, but it has to be something worth the expense and meant for playing, not merely as decoration.

My only problem is, I don't have any experience spotting quality with an ocarina, and I'd like some help before making a $50 to $100 purchase. I found some links here:
http://www.songbirdocarina.com/sweet-po ... gory_id=12
http://www.stlocarina.com/ocarina-by-type-12-hole.html

and those look like what I want, but I don't know if they're good enough quality...

Does anyone have any experience in the non-reed woodwind department? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Re: I'm getting an ocarina

Post by Werefrog »

Get one that allows you to make it rain.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

I'm not an expert, but I would recommend going with an ocarina from Songbird. My younger brother bought his Ocarina of Time replica from them. Not only was it wonderfully crafted, but it plays beautifully as well. He has had it for over a year now. It's in perfect condition and still sounds lovely. My brother picked up playing on it rather quickly too. One day he surprised me by playing Alex's little ocarina solo at the Burg springs. :lol:
Just thought I'd throw in my two cents, since we've had past experience with Songbird. They're reliable and offer quality ocarinas.
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Hehe, I enjoyed that last link...

Anyway, yeah, my main thing is I'm trying to determine if Songbird is really good, or just kind of window dressing. I'm leaning more towards the former (I also appreciate that they recognize the added popularity of the ocarina thanks to video games).

This is the one I'm leaning towards now:
http://www.songbirdocarina.com/sweet-po ... gory_id=12

It has an alto range, which is the range I'm most comfortable with from playing alto sax for years (meaning, also, I have an easier time distinguishing tones and intervals in this range). Also it's tuned in the key of C, making it easier to play with other instruments for me (though I'm getting better at transposing).

There's also this one:
http://www.stlocarina.com/wiraalocwifr.html

The benefit of this one is there's a sale that includes songbooks and a case. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

Why spend a hundred bucks when you could do THIS?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GabHGlGm14

...On second thought, go ahead and buy one.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon wrote:Why spend a hundred bucks when you could do THIS?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GabHGlGm14

...On second thought, go ahead and buy one.
Oh my goodness, that man is my HERO!
And perfect for the holidays too! :lol:
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Ewwwwww.... brocolli. Buy one, seriously.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

I've also heard that Songbird Ocarinas are of pretty good quality, but I don't have any experience with them.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Everywhere I've looked, folks really have a lot of praise for Songbird Ocarinas. There are also some more expensive ones I've found (Hind ocarinas, e.g.) that, if I really get good at this, I'll probably look into (that is, $200-$400 ones made of wood or metal, instead of $60 ones made of ceramics). I haven't heard much comments on STL, however.

I've settled on the Songbird Ocarina I mentioned earlier. I'm gonna send an email later today though with a couple questions on stuff I'd like to clear up (the material, how durable it is, if they'd do a custom paint job to make it look like Alex's ocarina, etc.). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Kizyr wrote:I'm gonna send an email later today though with a couple questions on stuff I'd like to clear up (the material, how durable it is, if they'd do a custom paint job to make it look like Alex's ocarina, etc.). KF
Oooh! If you decide to get one and if they do the custom paint job, post pictures for us! :D
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

Yeah, post some pics if it comes out nice.

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

If they DO do the custom paint job, I will totally buy it. Tell them in the e-mail that others are also interested in the custom setup, maybe it will act as an incentive for them to consider it.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

You've gone from suck to blow! :mrgreen: I'd go with a wooden ocarina to be more faithful to the source material, but obviously buy what you can afford.

Now someone needs a harp to play Alex's harp theme in reference. Alun said she'd give it a try if/when she got a harp.

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

lol, at the Spaceballs reference.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

My ocarina arrived today. That was fast!

It's harder than I expected... which is good, actually, since that means it'll be a fun little challenge to master.

I'm working now on getting a good, clear, consistent sound out of it, and on training my fingers to move swiftly again. I sort of got out of practice with that last bit. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

OMG, now I want to buy one! Kizyr (this is probably a dumb question) have you ever played the flute? I've never played on ocarina but I would assume some of the skills with air direction would still apply... I don't know though just a guess.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I'm doing a lot better at breath control. Some of my skills from playing alto sax for years are helping with that. (Actually, I think the sax is much easier to play by comparison.) Basically with the version I got, I need more breath pressure on the higher notes, less on the lower notes.

The number-one challenge right now is, well, "aim". My fingers aren't very precise, so I'm having trouble making sure all the holes are covered, particularly when I'm playing faster, and particularly for my right ring/little fingers (for the C and D notes). After I get that settled, I should be able to get better much more quickly.

I've been practicing the ocarina more than I've been playing SSH lately, too... KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

That makes sense Kizyr I actually think the sax is the easiest woodwind to play. I was going to go on and describe my thoughts until I realized my descriptions where full of puns that do not need to be said on L-net... I can hear the jokes now.

As for your aim I’m sure you will figure that out quickly. Even though it's boring it really helps to practice your fingerings slow to build accurate muscle memory.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Huh, all these years and I didn't know Kiz played an instrument. If you're used to playing pretty much any wind instrument other than recorder, clarinet, or open-hole flute, it's probably going to take some practice to get the feel of where your fingers need to be to cover the holes, since you don't need to be as precise where to put your fingers. It took me a long time to get my right ring finger to cover the hole of its key when I got my first open-hole flute. It definitely made sax (and clarinet, to a point) seem easier.