Inception

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Undine
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Inception

Post by Undine »

I just wanted to say that I loved it and that you should see it if you can. On a big screen too. I went to a little indie place in my town, and it didn't do it justice, so I'll probably see it on a big fat corporate screen this Friday.

It's true that there are some times in the film where you're just like "wait... do what now?", ie the logical gaps or inconsistencies are noticeable, BUT I would argue that they can make sense in some interpretations and it doesn't detract from the pure visual spectacle and beauty of the film.

Also, I want to be Marion Cotillard.

Also, that kid from Third Rock from the Sun is hot now. When did that happen?

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Inception

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Eh, I thought it was pretty good, but not great. They gave away too much in the first half of the movie, because I saw the rest coming. Including the ending with the top.

All in all, I thought Paprika was a better movie.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

That's sorta how I feel about it, Vyse.

I thought the movie went downhill once they entered the dream and suddenly they were being gunned down. I'm not the biggest fan of action movies, so honestly, it makes sense why I didn't like it past that point.

Also, the insane level of analysis that some people are putting forth is pretty funny.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Werefrog wrote:Also, the insane level of analysis that some people are putting forth is pretty funny.
My analysis: Things happen exactly how they said they did in the movie.

Seriously, if you count it up, there's more evidence to support that conclusion than any of the other prevailing theories on what occurred. Inconsistencies, yes, but again, fewer inconsistencies than any of the other prevailing theories. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Werefrog wrote:I thought the movie went downhill once they entered the dream and suddenly they were being gunned down. I'm not the biggest fan of action movies, so honestly, it makes sense why I didn't like it past that point.
I very much agree. I would have liked the movie much more if it didn't turn into a predictable action flick at that point. There was no need for it, and it detracted from the experience. I got the feeling they got halfway through making the movie and then thought, "oh, crap, we're out of ideas. Let's throw in some guns and explosions."

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I didn't like the movie much for the first 15 minutes, but I was inclined to be unimpressed by hype. After that, probably about the time that they got the new architect (Ellen Page), I really got to liking it. Little inconsistencies, bah, I wasn't bothered by them. I enjoyed when the mission started. The action was delightful, especially when I've been bored by most other action movies in the past five years. I liked the fancy of the dream worlds, the conceit of architecture... it's been my favorite movie this year. And the 3rd Rock from the Sun guy was fantastic too. :D
They gave away too much in the first half of the movie, because I saw the rest coming. Including the ending with the top.
I find claims like this to be rather arrogant, as if figuring it out establishes a position of superiority over a movie. I just found it well-done, even when predictable. And I certainly didn't predict every twist. As Undine said, "it doesn't detract from the pure visual spectacle and beauty of the film." At least for me.
My analysis: Things happen exactly how they said they did in the movie.
People are trying to analyze the movie like that? Really? I thought, while reading the movie, that this movie might produce some fun interpretations if someone had once read Freud and thought themselves an expert on dream analysis. But no, what happened was what happened. I thought that was clear.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Undine wrote:Also, that kid from Third Rock from the Sun is hot now. When did that happen?
I always thought he was hot. :oops:
(At least, as a kid watching 3rd Rock, I thought he was pretty cute. <3)
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

That movie was fatal hopping brilliant. I'm going to amend this post with the full extent of what I thought about it, but right now I'm just going to say that I thought that was a fabulously dense, thought-provoking movie. Wow.

Edit: Okay. I think it was all a dream, but Mal, the wife, was real. I think she sent herself into Cobb's dream on a mission to convince him to wake up, her own attempt at a sort of Inception. But he refuses to believe that she's real, and keeps her in a prison of deeper memories. Ariadne encourages Cobb to think of her as a villain and is generally hostile towards her, and eventually outright kills her, because Ariadne is a projection and Mal is an intruder in Cobb's dream. The irony is that when Cobb goes to Old-Man-Saito after he's been in limbo for years, he's doing exactly what Mal tried to do with him; convince him to honor an agreement and wake up. (Hence that scene having so much weight in the movie's narrative.)

Am I right? Who the hell knows. But it's a thought-provoking movie and I'm going to have to watch it again to try to pick it apart some more.
Last edited by ilovemyguitar on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

It was certainly a good movie. I was surprised by Joseph Gordon-Levitt's performance. I really like him, and he's actually not a bad actor.

I think Cobb was dreaming the whole time.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

This is not a movie to see while extremely tired. There's just so much to keep your mind around, and I found myself just wanting it to end in the last 30 minutes. Not because the movie wasn't good (it was great) but I didn't have the mental capacity left to keep track of what was going on.
-G1

lunasinger13
Pao Hunter

Post by lunasinger13 »

I reeeally wanted to see it while it was in theaters, but I never made it! It sounds like I'll definitely have to rent it though!