Scott Pilgrim

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Scott Pilgrim

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

I just got back from the midnight showing. But first, some cred. I started reading the books around two years ago, right before the fifth volume came out. I can't count how many times I've reread them. What follows contain minor spoilers that only really make sense if you've read the books in the first place.

So the flaws. It's not so much that it deviated the comic, it's that the movie mutated the comic. There would be scenes that would be the same except one of the characters is different. For example, most of the elements of Romona vs. Envy are now in Romona vs. Roxy. Or scenes that are the same except they're not quite in the same chronological order, like Romona vs. Knives. And of course, there were things left out for time, including Honest Ed's, which was one of the most delightfully surreal parts of the comic. And there were other things that were just overly simplified, like Kyle and Ken Katayanagi.

And now the good parts. EVERYTHING. Oh. Em. Gee. Best comic adaptation I've ever seen. Just amazingly awesome. They just nailed most of the characters. Michael Cera makes a much better Scott Pilgrim than I thought he would. Wallace Wells and Kim Pine and Knives Chau and Ramona Flowers and Gideon Graves and Todd Ingram were absolutely perfect. Steven Stills, not so much. Too goofy. But still awesome. The soundtrack was kickass, and the visuals were clever as hell.

It boils down to, are you alive? Then go see the movie.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Scott Pilgrim

Post by Kizyr »

The main thing that keeps me from seeing this is Michael Cera. I get so irritated with his identical characterization of everything he's in that he brings any movie I see him in down now. I mean, if it weren't for him, whoever's playing Ramona is cute enough to get me to see the movie for that. Actually if he weren't the main character, I might be able to overlook him enough to watch it.

Anyway, I still gotta think about it. I might just not have the time anyway even if I wanted to. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Kizyr wrote:The main thing that keeps me from seeing this is Michael Cera.
This and if there hadn't been so much hype. Hype for a film usually turns me off, no matter how good it actually is. Someday I'll see it, maybe, but until then, I could care less.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

The only movie with Michael Cera that I want to see is the Arrested Development movie.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

All right. This is only going to happen once in your lives.

I'm wrong.

Totally wrong.

This movie was actually very amazing and Micheal Cera actually brings something to the table here.

Go see this film.

Do it now.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

When I saw the very first trailer I had knew deep down inside that I need to go see this movie. Sub-sequential trailers only make me lust for it more. Here's to hoping I get to see it when it is still in theaters! I never read the comic, didn't even know it was one until I did a little wiki-digging. Still, I must see this movie. Everything about it screams that I will love this movie. Well, I like most movies, but this one speaks to me.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."