The Hobbit greenit.

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

The Hobbit greenit.

Post by LunarRaptor »

They're expecting production to begin in Feb., and Jackson is directing. Its going to be in 3D ( :cry: oh, joy...), and its still going split into two film so that they can add in The White Council and the Necromancer.

To tell the truth, this one has me nervous. Jackson and company's obsession with making sure this is made more relevant to the "grand scheme" of Middle-earth has me worried that Bilbo will be cast aside.
EDIT: James Cameron is now on-board as a producer.

[EDIT: Fixed title. KF]
[EDIT: Fixed title again.... KF]
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: The Hobbit greelit.

Post by Ardent Fox »

...This...really doesn't need to be a two parter I think. There seem to be a lot of two parters going on these days. Harry Potter, the new Twilight whatever-the-eff. When did it become necessary to show off every last little detail to fans of the book instead of putting out an entertaining movie? Sure, I'd love to see everything in the book realized on film, but to be honest had they put the Barrow Downs or Tom Bombadil scene in the Fellowship, then it would've killed the pacing of the movie. That's the main problem of films like this are the pacing gets thrown off.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Agreed. The Hobbit is a very simple tale of self-discovery, growth as an individual, and of good old-fashioned adventure. The reason its being split into two is because Jackso and company are going to add in what Gandalf was up to when absent from Bilbo's party. In other words, they're adding in the events of The Whit Council and Sauron under the guise of the Necromancer. They're trying to tie everything into The Lord of the Rings, which is completely unnecessary.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

In regards to Harry Potter, the final book really should be two movies. IMO, they cut way too much stuff out of the last two movies. At the very least, they should have been longer. I'm totally happy with Deathly Hollows being a two part feature. There's a lot to get through.
-G1

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Good that it they didn't give up on it, but a damn shame Del Toro's not directing. I'd LOVE to see his version. But if Jackson can reproduce what made Fellowship good (and was missing from the other two,) that will be plenty good.
「まあいいけど。」

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Eh, I am disinterested. I'm not even really sure why. Maybe I've finally given up on book movies.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I was looking forward to Del Toro's interpretation as well. It could have been great.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Meh, this movie was greenlit awhile back, but then got put on hold (again). Like the Halo movie. As excited as I want to be, I'm justing going to wait until I see a trailer for it.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

It's official, The Hobbit movies are going to suck. They've added Elros, Elrond's brother, to the cast. And guess what, he has nothing to do either Bilbo or Sauron. It's like Jackson's just adding random -Dragon Diamond- that has nothing to do with the story in at this point.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I could see it working if it was in flashback, as some of the background for The Hobbit goes back pretty far in time.

Actually, let me rephrase that. He had better be in flashback, because he died in the Second Age as Numenor's first king.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

The hobbit isn't supposed to be just about the book. The other movie is supposed to fill in the gaps as well, but because they don't have the rights to the other books to do that, they have to make due with what they can.

I'm hoping it won't suck, I've waited 10 years for this!

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Bilbo finds the Ring. That's the only gap they need to fill. That Bilbo is obviously taking back seat in his own story is just pisses me off. I've waited 21 years for a Hobbit movie ever since I first read it as a wee little lad. I don't even know why they're still calling them 'Hobbit' movies at this point. They're obviously 'The White Council' movies at this point.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

We don't know that yet. Unless more info came out since I last read about the project, one movie is about Bilbo finding the ring, the battle of 5 armies, the demise of Smaug. The other is supposed to be about filling the gaps.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

phyco126 wrote:We don't know that yet. Unless more info came out since I last read about the project, one movie is about Bilbo finding the ring, the battle of 5 armies, the demise of Smaug. The other is supposed to be about filling the gaps.
If that's so, I find myself wondering what's the incentive for watching the non-Hobbit one...?
「まあいいけど。」

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I think I found the greatest thing to happen yet as a result of the Hobbit movie:

http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episo ... lijah-wood
Skip ahead to 15:40 for the entire interview, or 18:25 for the most awesome part. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Kizyr wrote:I think I found the greatest thing to happen yet as a result of the Hobbit movie:

http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episo ... lijah-wood
Skip ahead to 15:40 for the entire interview, or 18:25 for the most awesome part. KF
That was totally awesome! Thanks for sharing! ^^
-Nobi

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I'm sure everyone's seen this already, but I'm-a post it here anyway:

The Hobbit Trailer:

Or just go ahead and skip to 0:51. You know you want to. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Them being able to work the songs from the book into the movies is a plus. Still can't wait for this movie to come out!

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

I'm satisfied with how this has turned out so far. I just don't get why the special effects aren't on par with LOTR.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Welp, any thoughts now that the films are finished?

Mine: what a butchery and a waste of perfectly good material. Jackson and co should be ashamed of themselves.