Anime Conventions

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Anime Conventions

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Okay, so for the first time ever I'm going to an anime convention! Last year, a group of my friends and myself wanted to go to Animal Central. Unfortunately, we planned WAY too close to the convention and couldn't go. This year, however, we have already booked our hotel rooms. That means we are definitely going this year! Yes, Acen isn't until May, but I'm still excited about it!

I basically just wanted to ask what to expect from Acen (or Anime Conventions in general). What are your guys experiences at anime conventions? What should I bring? How should I prepare? I know a lot of people here go to conventions, so I just wanted a little advise. ^_^

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: Anime Conventions

Post by Ardent Fox »

Be prepared for loud obnoxious people as well as drunks and people you don't even know to talk to you about irrelevant stuff.

Bring deoderant and lots of hand sanitizer as well as plenty of money and very VERY comfortable shoes.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Bring lots of food and water! It's so easy to get caught up in the excitement of a con and forget to properly sustain yourself. Always take time to rest, eat, rehydrate and sleep. And since you'll be caught in a fancy hotel all weekend, pack a cooler and bring your own snacks. Otherwise, you'll have to face the expensive food and drink prices of the hotel. (Especially pack a cooler at Acen, because the nearest place to find cheap food is several miles away.) I find bringing a plastic water bottle and refilling it all weekend helps a lot.
Be prepared to wait for an elevator for a LONG time too. X_x
And to wait in lines as well... There's lots of waiting at big cons like Acen. If you're going to a panel, be sure you know where you're going ahead of time so you don't get lost along the way and so you can jump in line early. Also, bring something to entertain yourself while waiting in line.
Anime Central was my first con too back in '03. I've been going for a long time, I'm sure you'll have a blast. :3
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Thanks for the advise. :D

Actually, I had no idea Acen was one of the bigger cons. I guess that shows you how much I know about conventions, lol. I had made out a schedule for us last year, before we figured out it was way to close to the convention. I'm going to make a schedule this year as well, so we at least know what we're doing (since I'm in change of planning this).

We're going to be using my friend's Chevy Jimmy, since it can hold a lot of stuff. She always has TONS of water bottles at her house, so we got that covered already. XD

I know last year when I was making out the schedule, there was a Lunar panel. I totally wanted to go to that! I hope it's there this year too. ^^;

Oh, do you think it would be better to stay in one group? Or split of into two groups? I tried to make sure I got things everyone in my group would want to do, but I'm sure there's things that some of us are going to want to do while something else is going on.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Make sure you look at the schedule and split off with whoever wants to do what. It's fine to go in a separate group. You could have times where you all meet up and do something together or if you really want you can go off and do something by yourself. I've done that plenty of times when I've gone with my group, I split off and do whatever. We always meet back up though at a place where we all know to go, be it a room or a location in the convention center itself.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Okay, thanks! That pretty much answers my question. :D

I wouldn't mind going off by myself, but knowing me I WILL get lost. I'm horrible with directions, so I usually like to stick with groups when I'm in an unfamiliar place, lol.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

The cons usually have a map they hand out just in case of such an emergency. It's always handy to have especially when trying to find a particular room where an event is taking place. It's always a good idea for everyone to have at least one in their possession.

lunasinger13
Pao Hunter

Post by lunasinger13 »

I've been to Acen three times (two of which I went as Luna), and it's a fabulous time! It's almost guaranteed that you'll spend a ton of money in the vendor room, but it's totally worth it!

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Ardent Fox wrote:The cons usually have a map they hand out just in case of such an emergency. It's always handy to have especially when trying to find a particular room where an event is taking place. It's always a good idea for everyone to have at least one in their possession.
Okay, good. Then I shouldn't get too lost. XD
lunasinger13 wrote:I've been to Acen three times (two of which I went as Luna), and it's a fabulous time! It's almost guaranteed that you'll spend a ton of money in the vendor room, but it's totally worth it!
Good to hear that it's awesome! Knowing me, Acen will blow a huge hole in my pocket. ^^;

Drathial
Reza Thief

Post by Drathial »

Dark_Fairy wrote: I basically just wanted to ask what to expect from Acen (or Anime Conventions in general). What are your guys experiences at anime conventions? What should I bring? How should I prepare? I know a lot of people here go to conventions, so I just wanted a little advise. ^_^
I'm about to go to my third A-kon trip and I have to say the most important things are:

5. Water/Food. Depending on the time of year, area, and how much walking/cosplaying you do decides how much energy you go through.
4. Make sure to stay clean and make sure your cosplay is functional. You'll build more fatigue by not being clean and comfortable.
3. Rest when you can and when you rest, be comfortable!! Its awful to wake up early and not have slept well.
2. Make sure you bring as little as possible with you to the actual event. Thieves are everywhere and this will also keep you going longer if you don't have to worry about a bunch of junk.
1. Keep a good attitude. Nothing worse than having that person in your group get bummed out cause they didn't follow one of the other four things I mentioned. I think the worst thing for any event like this is just having a bad attitude about something.

Also, here's A-Kon's list of what to know:
The Survival tips!

Hope it helps XD

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

I see mention of Acen and A-Kon. Who is going this year?

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Shooting for Acen.
「まあいいけど。」

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

I was actually thinking about going to Acen next year. I haven't attended it in a few years, and being it was my first con, I miss it. :cry:
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest

Post by CatsWithMatches »

I'll be at ACEN too!

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Anyone going to Anime Boston, other than me (I'm on staff).
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Kitdra
Student of Vane

Post by Kitdra »

Otakon here! XD and most likly be around the Larp more then offen XD

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I'm still super excited about ACEN! I'm just waiting for my badge to come in the mail and May 20th can't come fast enough! X3

The only problem we might have is waiting for my sister to check us in the hotel (who won't be going until later in the day on the first day), since I think you have to have someone over 21 to do it. I understand why they do it, many young people being irresponsible and stuff, but everyone in my group are all 20 and responsible, that should be close enough. :roll:

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

I'm going to Animazement come May. No one else probably knows what that is or is going. Sad face.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Well, Acen is in 2 days. I'm excited. X3

I think we FINALLY have everything worked out. Hopefully we don't get lost trying to find the convention, lol. It's a a shame that there's so much to do, but you can't do it all. :(

Anyone else going? Thought I'd ask again since it's time for convention now.

CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest

Post by CatsWithMatches »

Me too! Acen is always the highlight of the year for me.