Nodame Cantabile

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Nodame Cantabile

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I just watched a 23 episode anime called Nodame Cantabile.

I'm in love.

I know I'm a little late to this party, as it's a 2007 anime, but this is hands down the best anime I've watched in years. Not because it has the best artwork or animation or what have you, but just made me feel so good watching it. I loved the characters, the pacing, the music, everything! This is the first time in a long time I've watched an anime that just made me want to marathon it, and then want to do it all over again. All I can say is bravo!!

Has anyone else here watched this particular show?

I'm in no condition to type a synopsis that'd do the show any justice (I'm too giddy at the moment), so I'm going to blatantly steal from Wikipedia for the moment.
Wikipedia wrote:Megumi Noda, or "Nodame" is a piano student at Momogaoka College of Music. An extremely talented pianist who wants to be a preschool teacher, she prefers playing by ear rather than reading the music score. She is messy and disorganized, takes baths several days apart and loves to eat, sometimes stealing her friend's lunchbox when it is filled with delicacies.

Shinichi Chiaki is Momogaoka's top student. Born into a musical family, he is talented in piano and violin and has secret ambitions to become a conductor. An arrogant multi-lingual perfectionist who once lived abroad in the music capitals of the world as a young boy (namely Prague), he is trapped in Japan because of his childhood phobia of airplanes and the ocean.

They meet by accident. Nodame quickly falls in love, but it takes much longer for Chiaki to even begin to appreciate Nodame's unusual qualities. Their relationship causes them both to develop and grow. Along the way, they meet some crazy people (like Masumi, Mine, and Stresemann) and make lasting friendships. Because of Nodame, Chiaki gets the opportunity to lead a student orchestra and begins to have a broader appreciation of people's musical abilities. Because of Chiaki, Nodame faces her fears and enters a piano competition. Opportunities open up as both begin taking risks, stretching themselves far more than they ever thought possible.
I love this show! If you have a chance to watch it, I HIGHLY recommend it! ^_^
-Nobi

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Re: Nodame Cantabile

Post by Shiva Indis »

I watched it pretty recently too, after knowing for years how highly regarded it was and not getting around to it. ^_^ My patience for shoujo manga's obsession with romance has worn thin, but Nodame doesn't focus on that. It focuses on things that make it unique instead.
「まあいいけど。」

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Completely agree! I love how this show NEVER got too heavy. Whenever things started to get a little too dramatic, something funny or lighthearted would happen to fix the mood. ^_^

I just got my older sister hooked on this as well. It's awesome! :D
-Nobi

lnrSaxon
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lnrSaxon »

been meaning to watch the j-drama version! i heard that one is great also. i need more time in my days. >_<

Mog Dragonheart
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Mog Dragonheart »

lnrSaxon wrote:been meaning to watch the j-drama version! i heard that one is great also. i need more time in my days. >_<
Didn't see the Anime but saw the dorama version and thought it was some over-the-top fun. I highly recommend. It also made me want to experience the glory of the kotatsu! lmao.