Battleship!

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Battleship!

Post by phyco126 »

I watched the trailer, then looked at the budget that they were given. I find myself asking, is Hollywood *TRYING* to break the record for greatest loss in the box office?

Take one part transformers, several ships, and stick it all in the ocean. Voila!

I'll watch it, but I cannot possibly see this being any good. We'll see.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Re: Battleship!

Post by Shiva Indis »

Very disappointed that no one said the line in the trailer. You know what line I'm talking about.

I'm not sure I've heard of a movie based on a more elusive premise. At least that means it can be about whatever they staff wants...
「まあいいけど。」

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

more elusive premise
How about the 2006 movie Checkers? Of course, I'd never heard of it, but it at least seems to incorporate the game into the movie. I guess if Checkers were adapted like Battleship, then it would take place in a scarred landscape, lava broiling from the previous wars, and the recovering remnants of humanity would have to gather under an ingenious but young officer as it tries to combat aliens. The officer would of course be male, and there would be some sort of competition for a woman, either between father and boyfriend or between two guys, where one of them dies in the engagement. Whoever dies makes the other one promise to take care of her. The final engagement would involve trying to outmaneuver the alien craft through FTL jump maneuvers, and would end with the lieutenant-turned-general crowned king.

Wow, sorry, don't know where that came from.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Battleship's premise has long eluded me. I thought I found it once. But I guessed B5. It was a miss.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

There are a few parts that kill me. Liam Neesen makes his lines sound awesome. XD But I digress. The scene where it shows three destroyers lined up in a arrow formation directly across from the aliens, who are in the same exact formation. That killed me. It was painful to watch. The line I hate the most though, is...

Admiral: "Prepare to fire!"
Random Officer: "Sire, which weapons?"
Admiral: "All of them."

Then there is the sappy love crap, in a scene specifically reminiscent of every love scene ever in a Michael Bay movie.

Hapless Hero with Good lucks, muscles, skills, leadership, etc: "You're daughter is the best thing to happen to me in my entire life....."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I thought that this was one of those joke/mock-up trailers, like the Minesweeper movie... KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

With all due respect to the Minesweeper trailer, it looks like it would be a better movie. Though I agree, it does look like a high budget mock-up-trailer.

I showed the trailer to a friend of mine who had been in the navy for 10 years. He thought it was funny.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

At least they have Liam Neeson?

But yeah, that looks terribad.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

ilovemyguitar wrote:At least they have Liam Neeson?
That is all this movie has going for it, as of right now. I want to see a little more, perhaps a second trailer? I've decided I will watch it. Who knows, maybe the trailer just doesn't do it justice?

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

board game to movie done right:

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Now, I can't wait for this one to come out!

=P

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Shin Otaku III wrote:board game to movie done right:

Put Tim Curry in anything and it automatically becomes "right". :P
And why would Liam Neeson want to take part in such a film? I guess even he needs a paycheck...
Or maybe he's just a really big Battleship fan. :lol:
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

^ I started playing co-op Red Alert 3 with a friend tonight, and I have to agree. Anything with Tim Curry is made more enjoyable.

~Sonic#, who didn't say "better."
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Sonic# wrote:^ I started playing co-op Red Alert 3 with a friend tonight, and I have to agree. Anything with Tim Curry is made more enjoyable.

~Sonic#, who didn't say "better."
Wait, Tim Curry lent is acting talents in Red Alert 3? Guess I'm going to have to re install the game and actually play it.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

He speaks in a funny Russian accent. Also, George Takei is in it, and G.K. Simmons. The introductory movie really sets the tone.
Sonic#

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

The game just has some really ridiculous plot points, and bears? Riiiiiight. RA2 was my favorite RA :D