Attack on Titan

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
parappa
Lyton Singer
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Attack on Titan

Post by parappa »

Anybody watching Attack on Titan? Besides me, I mean.

I like it. The story moves along at a good pace, it's got good art and animation, and I've been enjoying the amped-up action element, although the violence is extreme in some parts. There's been a lot of good fantasy anime lately (Maoyu, Sword Art Online), so Attack on Titan has competition there, but it seems to be holding its own.

Definitely check out the awesome Attack on Pingu video (seriously, even if you don't read the rest of this post, just follow the YouTube link, it is so great):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC2okqCGMg4

Seems like the Attack on Titan opening music is the new variation of the Guile Theme Goes With Everything meme.

I've also been watching Flowers of Evil. I understand that a lot of people loathe the character art style, but I find the rotoscoping gives the characters a huge amount of facial expressiveness, and the show makes deliberate use of that with a lot of unspoken dialogue scenes. It bothers me when there are scenes where background characters aren't animated because that pulls me out of the moment, but otherwise I think this is a good looking show for the most part.

It's yet another grade school setting character drama, but at least it isn't yet another magical girl or paranormal investigation club type story. I find the psychological element of the show quite good, actually. There's a lot of restless, awkward youth stuff going on there. Also the main character is an interesting case in that he considers himself a good person, but is oblivious to how his actions are affecting other people. It's entertaining enough that I think I'll easily be able to watch the whole series.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Re: Attack on Titan

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I have no idea why I didn't see this topic until now. It must of been hiding from me or something. O_o

But yes, Attack on Titan has been an ABSOLUTELY amazing anime so far! It doesn't help that this season has tons of good anime, although this might arguably be the best this season. So much tension and emotion in this show!

parappa
Lyton Singer

Post by parappa »

Dark_Fairy wrote:It doesn't help that this season has tons of good anime...
Do tell, what else are you watching? I can never keep up on anything, unless it's made by Gainax, then I'll make time for it.

I'm still sticking it out with Flowers of Evil, with only 3 eps left to go. It has gotten better the more I've watched it. Clearly a lot of anime fans hate that show, but I'm diggin' it. People say that it's incompetently produced, but I think the decisions they've made are both very intentional (not neglectful oversights) and, mostly, serve the show very well. It's a very different kind of show, though.

Another anime that I tried is Kotoura-san. I made it through four eps in one sitting, but think I'm done with it already. The first ep was so great that I went back to watch it a second time, but from that point onward the show seemed to be dragging on.

I also briefly gave Henneko and Devil Survivor 2 a try. They were pretty good, but I wasn't immediately hooked, alas.

If I'm not mistaken, we're on the cusp of a new season of anime starting up. Nothing in particular on my radar yet, though. Maybe some new Gainax?

http://www.crunchyroll.ca/anime-news/20 ... adaptation

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I haven't tried Flowers of Evil. I also gave Devil Survivor 2 a try, but didn't really get hooked...which is funny, as I am a Shin Megami Tensei fan. I have just never played the Devil Survivor games though. It was good and I did like it, I just didn't like it enough to continue watching it.

The top three anime (aside from Attack on Titan) that I have really enjoyed this season are A Certain Scientific Railgun S, Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, and The Devil is a Part Timer. To really enjoy Railgun S in my opinion, you would have to watch both seasons of A Certain Magical Index and the first season of Railgun though.

Gargantia is tied with Attack on Titan on being my favorite anime this season. Gargantia is a Sci-fi anime produced by Production I.G. I normally don't watch Sci-fi anime at all, because it doesn't interest me. This anime is an exception for me.

The Devil is a Part Timer is a fantasy/comedy anime.