Studio Ghibli

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Ηiro
Lostest Boy
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Studio Ghibli

Post by Ηiro »

I'd rather hear this from the community if possible rather than checking Google first (much more impersonal of a response from a search engine..)

But what's going to happen now that Miyazaki has left Studio Ghibli? Is there anything in the works?... :(

brit
White Dragon Knight

Re: Studio Ghibli

Post by brit »

Are you talking more about the actual Studio or what Miyazaki plans to do? From what I have seen I believe other directors will still continue to make films under the company name.

I know that Goro Miyazaki, Hayao’s son, did do a feature film back in 2011 (From Up on Poppy Hill) but I remember reading mixed reviews on it – though I personally enjoyed it. I think it was mostly just people focusing on his other film Tales From Earth Sea (which I think is considered oneo f the worst in the studio – though I personally liked it since it was a fantasy film). FUoPH though is a slice-of-life about a school newspaper and kids looking for truth about their family if I remember right.

Then in 2013 the company came out with The Tale of the Princess Kaguya which was directed by Isao Takahata. It is one I highly recommend just because the art is incredible and the story is very close to the original folktale (which helps a little if you’ve already read it - there are some parts I don’t quite remember in full).

Then the newest one is When Marnie Was There directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi. Which I’ve heard good things on, but haven’t actually seen myself.

Even after Hayao Miyazaki retires, Studio Ghibli will still produce films, I mean I'd personally be really surprised if they just stopped making anything after making their name so well known. Whether or not the new stories are a hit or miss though I think depends on the directors and the team behind them.

If you are looking for newer Ghibli films in stores I’ve noticed that the DVD company producing the English adoptions is no longer Disney. Instead they are under the label GK Kids which can be found on the sides and back of the DVD cases.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **