Batman: The Animated series

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Batman: The Animated series

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

I'm on vol 2 disc 2 of Batman: The Animated Series and I must say I'm sorry I missed it way back when. It's really great. Bruce Wayne/Batman's talents, intelligence and personal conflicts are displayed often. Almost every villain is a little to very sympathetic. It's episodic, but rarely predictable. Batman still roughs up random mobsters, I'm pleasantly surprised the sensors didn't force this out. Also I love the film noir ambiance, the animation isn't overly detailed, but still looks good because of this.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Batman: The Animated series

Post by MaroonChan »

I LOVE Batman the Animated series. It probably was one of the better, animated Batman shows. I remember watching that after Toonami (or on it? I forget). Not typically something I'd go out of the way to watch, but it is one thing I grew to enjoy.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Are a lot of people right now getting back into it?

I ask since I've seen in multiple places the convo basically go like:
"Eh, I tried to get into Gotham but it's not hooking me."
"You remember how good the animated series was?"
"...no? I never watched it back when it was on."
"Oh!!! Here I have it on my Plex account, let me show you."

I didn't get hugely into it, but it was really good as I remember. That and Batman Beyond were really tight. Do they still hold up or are there elements that are "aged" about it? (Like, on a scale from the Zelda cartoon to Ducktales, how well does it age?) KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Kizyr wrote:Are a lot of people right now getting back into it?

I didn't get hugely into it, but it was really good as I remember. That and Batman Beyond were really tight. Do they still hold up or are there elements that are "aged" about it? (Like, on a scale from the Zelda cartoon to Ducktales, how well does it age?) KF
I tried watching Gotham and wasn't really into it. I've never actually seen Ducktales, but it's definitely way better than any 2D animated Zelda (80's cartoon, or even the awesomely bad CDi game cutscenes). If I had to compare it to anything that I have seen, I would say the Nolan movies but toned down a bit in a way that doesn't actively like censorship, slightly more fantastical, and more episodic. But they are both very dark and gloomy, and reference real world problems, and most characters are deep, and not simply made up of 1 trait. I heard they were inspired by the Burton films, which I still need to see. But it has aged well so far, and I just finished vol 2, and the Batman & Mr. Freeze: Subzero and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm movies. While the occasional mediocre episode is there, it's mostly really good-amazing so far. Volumes 3 and 4 are next. I'll probably try watching Batman Beyond at some point afterwards.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Kizyr wrote:Are a lot of people right now getting back into it?

I loved Batman Beyond as well! That was pretty awesome.

I can't say how well either holds up since well...haven't seen em in years. I think my brother has the animated series on dvd though.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

I finished it awhile ago, and it's amazing! It only gets better at the end cause of Ra's al-Ghul. I prefer pronouncing his name "Raahhhs" like in the Nolan movies rather than "Raayysh" in Batman: TAS but this is very minor. I loved Ra's in the Nolan movies where he basically want to end corruption/crime like Batman, but instead of being a kinda-in-the-confines-of-the-law vigilante, he just wants to destroy Gotham. Then I went back to read the Tales of the Demon comics, and was very disappointed. The back cover calls him an ecoterrorist, but he just utters some vague lines about the purity of a snowy mountain and a desert, then starts robbing banks. Back to Batman: TAS, he actually practices and preaches in more detail his ecoterrorist philosophy. Also the final few DVDs had some episodes where some of the villains try to reform, which was interesting. As a whole, Kevin Conroy was a great Batman.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Hmm I might have to the borrow my brother's dvd's. I don't think I've seen the whole thing and the villains trying to reform sounds interesting.