Jean and Lemina sketches

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
Zoriana
Meribian Merchant
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Jean and Lemina sketches

Post by Zoriana »

I hope you like this 2 sketches.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I think Lemina's sketch looked lovely, though albeit a bit like Alice from Alice in Wonderland. Still, bravo. Jean looks alright, but something about her face, or maybe her eyes... *shrugs* Dunno, they are both good, i's just that Jean is missing something to me.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Zoriana
Meribian Merchant

Post by Zoriana »

well, Jeans eyes are a BIT (cough...very) off. Maybe because I was thinking in the scene in which the rest of the team discovers that she is not only a mere dancer; i know that Jean is sweeter than that. I will fix that for you :wink: , and thanks for the critics, they do help to improve.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

I agree they are nice. Is there any way to darken the pencil a bit though? I'd really like to get a better look :)

Are you going to color these by any chance? I especially like Lemina, the way you drew her eyes make her look exceptionally pretty. :)

Thanks for sharing!

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Kind of Disney style it seems. Which i think is fine. I'd love to see the entire casts of TSS and EB drawn in several popular styles.

Image the possibilities! South Park style, Family Guy style, Simpsons style..the hilarity and awesomness is almost unfathomable.

Haru
Pao Hunter

Post by Haru »

I don't see the disney style here, but proportions & anatomy are awful /sry

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Haru wrote:I don't see the disney style here, but proportions & anatomy are awful /sry

We aren't all super-talented yaoi artists :lol:

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

What's that got to do with anything? Anatomy and proportion are important to any artist, regardless of subject matter or style. You don't get excused by saying that you're drawing someone else's character or in an anime style or anything.

Heh, actually, I had a conversation with a friend (and serious art student) last night about that...

[23:37] <saber> and I'll tell you the only thing that's more annoying than people using style as an excuse
[23:37] <saber> it's when other people say "I like the style you're using" about someone else's art
[23:38] <saber> when it's clearly the most inept thing ever

Just to be clear, I don't mean to direct any of this specifically at Zoriana or her (?) art, just responding to B_G's comment and going off on a bit of a tangent. Saber and I have this sort of conversation fairly often, since he encounters a lot of people in putatively art-oriented forums who equate art with anime.

Zoriana, if you really want critique I can try to give you some, but I should warn you that I don't sugarcoat negatives; I mention this because we've had at least one episode here before with someone saying repeatedly that she wanted real critique and not pats on the head and then when she got it she had a tantrum. I'd just as soon not repeat that.

Zoriana
Meribian Merchant

Post by Zoriana »

Alunissage wrote:

Zoriana, if you really want critique I can try to give you some, but I should warn you that I don't sugarcoat negatives; I mention this because we've had at least one episode here before with someone saying repeatedly that she wanted real critique and not pats on the head and then when she got it she had a tantrum. I'd just as soon not repeat that.

Thanks Alunissage, I really appreciate your comments. A real art critique is an specific, not a general statement just like "Your anatomy is off"(even if it is accurate it doesn't help to improve). Being a former architectural drafting student, I am used to NOT having "sugarcoated" comments about my work. Public critics are not privative of art, I assure you.
So go ahead Alunissage, I am happy to see someone actually cares enough about those 2 pieces as to be willing to offer more extensive guidance. ::wink::

PD. Again, pardon my English.
PD. I am not even an art student, but I sure want to improve the skill.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Sure, I'll give you some comments, then. Do you suppose you could scan it darker, though? It's kind of hard to see unless I tilt my laptop screen way back.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Alunissage, i was making a reference to the thread he made called "Lunar Yaoi".

Maiku
Student of Vane

Post by Maiku »

I believe you really are a talented artist if you can sketch like that without the use of a picture. I can't exactly sketch off the top of my head, but when I have picture of something and I want to draw it... I'll draw it. I never trace though. Either way, I approve of these two pieces and I can't wait to see you finish them up with more details. :D

Zoriana
Meribian Merchant

Post by Zoriana »

Sorry, the image has the same tracing than the original. Here are the bigger versions. :(

http://www.geocities.com/asthermaiden/images/lemina_sketch1.gif

http://www.geocities.com/asthermaiden/images/jean_sketch1.gif

Rimmie
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Rimmie »

[23:37] <saber> and I'll tell you the only thing that's more annoying than people using style as an excuse
[23:37] <saber> it's when other people say "I like the style you're using" about someone else's art
[23:38] <saber> when it's clearly the most inept thing ever

Bull -Dragon Diamond-; everyone has their own personal style, and it takes effort for other people to notice. However,

The number one reason fan pictures look like crap is because they're using their own devices to make the picture, not mimicking the original artist.

Not to say Zoriana's look like crap; actually I wasn't saying anything about her(?) originally.
Pickle? I thought you said baseball card!

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

You're missing the point, or perhaps there wasn't enough context there. Having a personal style is one thing. Claiming to be drawing in a particular style to try to cover up or excuse incompetence -- for example, deciding your style is to omit noses because you don't know how to draw them or where to place them -- is stupid. Learn how to draw real people with accurate proportions before you start adapting that into a style... and don't learn how to draw from manga and anime or other sources of established styles, because you'll just end up limiting yourself. The number-one reason fanart looks bad isn't the materials used (if that's what you mean by devices), it's not having a clue about how actual people are put together and therefore being unable to draw original poses convincingly. The professionals have this underpinning of knowledge, that's why even the most stylized stuff has internal consistency. Trying to shortcut this by hiding behind a style will bite you sooner or later.

Rimmie
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Rimmie »

I meant they're drawing the picture how they draw everything else; using their own eyes and face frames and what. It won't look right if you don't study how it's really done.
Pickle? I thought you said baseball card!

Zoriana
Meribian Merchant

Post by Zoriana »

Sorry guys for not sending you the corrected versions so far...I been very bussy with finals, and moving...

PD. I will post them around Xmas :D