Lunar Cosplay

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Lunar Cosplay

Post by phyco126 »

Alunissage wrote: On the other hand, I am so bloody fed up with the ideas that 1) people, especially males, feel they have the right to make rude, judgmental, cruel remarks about other people, especially females, who they deem to be too large for the quite narrow (so to speak) parameters of "acceptability", especially when skewed by immersion in anime, and 2) people who are fat should not be allowed to participate in activities that might involve them actually being seen. Because, you know, if they aren't "hot" then they don't deserve to play too.
Oh please, women make the same kind of judgments against guys. May not be about weight as much as looks, be believe me, women make unfair judgments against guys too.

Besides, the problem is you can see rooooollllllls. That is NASTY. PERIOD. I don't hate girls and guys like that. I am acceptable of obese people, but rolls are nasty. Period. If you are gonna be fat and have rolls, please put more than a damned bikini on. ESPECIALLY if you are a male! ARGH!

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Maru
Bromide Hunter

Post by Maru »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:
Maru wrote:
Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:Cosplay would be nice if it wasn't so chock full of fat girls trying to resemble skinny characters.
I wasn't gonna say it...

My friend and I at Otakon '04 carried around flasks and took a shot every time we saw something... unappealing. Best three days ever!
I'm surprised I've never considered how funny it'd be to troll a 'con. I wouldn't do it if it was for Star Wars, though. That fanbase is insane.
We didn't mean to "troll". It just kind of happened. We were dressed up, too, but uungh. Some people...

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

phyco126 wrote:
Alunissage wrote: On the other hand, I am so bloody fed up with the ideas that 1) people, especially males, feel they have the right to make rude, judgmental, cruel remarks about other people, especially females, who they deem to be too large for the quite narrow (so to speak) parameters of "acceptability", especially when skewed by immersion in anime, and 2) people who are fat should not be allowed to participate in activities that might involve them actually being seen. Because, you know, if they aren't "hot" then they don't deserve to play too.
Oh please, women make the same kind of judgments against guys. May not be about weight as much as looks, be believe me, women make unfair judgments against guys too.

Besides, the problem is you can see rooooollllllls. That is NASTY. PERIOD. I don't hate girls and guys like that. I am acceptable of obese people, but rolls are nasty. Period. If you are gonna be fat and have rolls, please put more than a damned bikini on. ESPECIALLY if you are a male! ARGH!
I don't know many men's costumes that emphasize showing off skin. Typically objections to men wearing scantily clad costumes are for more reasons than their showing rolls (like crossdressing, for example). So... I don't think you're wrong to point that out, phyco, but simply because of what's available, women have access to more scantily clad costumes, and given the same number of fat people in both genders, there will be fat women in scantily clad costumes more often.

If someone is wearing a costume and it's unflattering for their body shape (whether they have "rolls" or whatever), of course I'm going to react to it. I might comment on it to friends, point it out, so on. But I'm not going to turn it into a confrontation or a voiced objection to them. People don't need that crap, and they probably know exactly how much skin they're showing, so my correction won't help knock "sense" into them. And otherwise, I don't really care. It's just an image, and I deal with it. Why can't people just deal with unattractive people without objecting so loudly to them? (Does attractiveness matter that much?) It's like they're our version of the medieval leper (look it up).

So the issue here is the emphasis of attractiveness being a prime determining factor in how we deal with people, particularly between people of opposing genders. And women get the worse deal in most of media, particular body forms favored over others. (Not that men get a great deal either... just that they have more people who don't fit the handsome stereotype in prominent roles.)

(By the way, there are images that are tough to deal with, but it's not people unflatteringly scantily clad. It's a squirrel I saw a couple of weeks ago at my school. It was climbing up a tree with a bagel, but on its shoulder or side, there was a flap of skin, and... I don't know how to interpret it, it was so odd. Like an eye was growing in its shoulder, or the bone was poking through, or it was an oozy spot or something. It nearly made me sick today just thinking about it, and I'd suppressed it until then. I've never seen any cosplayer that bad.)
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Image Image

If the percentage of awesome cosplay was higher than 3%, I wouldn't complain as much. Seriously. I had to think about who the first one was supposed to be and the FAN is what gave it away. I was thinking "Mai? umm.....Oh yeah! KoF!"

What's this crap about "the right"? Rights are made up. No such thing. I just feel entitled to my opinion. Those who OBSERVE will judge regardless of if they like it or not. I just don't pull the "Well, they can't PROVE it so I'll pretend otherwise." card.

Am I directly mean? No. Nothing'll come of it. They know they're overweight and don't seem to be caring and I doubt I'd change that.

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

phyco126 wrote:Besides, the problem is you can see rooooollllllls. That is NASTY. PERIOD. I don't hate girls and guys like that. I am acceptable of obese people, but rolls are nasty. Period. If you are gonna be fat and have rolls, please put more than a damned bikini on. ESPECIALLY if you are a male! ARGH!
I remember watching a stand up performance by Drew Carey (himself a pretty "husky" guy, if you will) about this sort of thing a few years ago. He went on how people should dress appropriate to their body size, which is something that I can agree with. The fact that Drew Carey himself admitted that he wasn't exactly "male model thin" and always tried to dress appropriate to his body size during this performance adds to the legitimacy of his commentary.

I mean, admittedly, some of the standards of what's considered attractive are just too extreme and some of them even look borderline anorexec (personally, I find someone more attractive if she appears to have a reasonable, healthy weight as opposed to looking either ridiculously thin or ridiculously fat), but there are definitely a lot of people who are obviously way too heavy to be healthy out there.
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Avianna
Saith Pirate

Post by Avianna »

Wow, I didn't expect a conversation like this to come up at all from posting! XD

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Avianna wrote:Wow, I didn't expect a conversation like this to come up at all from posting! XD
Yeah... we're zanny like that. Or wierd. Take your pick.

Avianna
Saith Pirate

Post by Avianna »

Just wanted to post some of my progress. After all, fans are the best critics.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1753051/

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Nice background book (the DnD manual, that is).

I like it! When you apply the gloss, I think it will be vastly improved. You seem to have gotten the shape down fairly well. How does it move when you wear it?

I don't think I would say "It's different" unless I had the model picture up close. However, if you want me to be nitpicky, the very bottom of the vambrace on the ends seems to be pointier than its model picture, which appears to do more wrapping around than pure pointiness. It's just a mite distracting.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Avianna
Saith Pirate

Post by Avianna »

Okay, so I'm getting done with my bracers and my leg armor and I've glossed them up to look like this picture:

http://www.lunar-net.com/multimedia/artwork/sssc4.jpg

However, now I wanna move on to the 'crotch' armor. Seen here:

http://www.lunar-net.com/sssc/screens/5 ... 022.73.jpg

And I guess my question is, should I make it using fabric to have it fit in with the rest of the outfit (the bra, skirt and hat) or should I make them all armor? Or should I just make the 'crotch' armor look metallic and maybe it will look good next to the fabric skirt?

Avianna
Saith Pirate

Post by Avianna »

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1829361/

Just some progress pictures. Also, the girl that started this thread, Miru, will be accompanying me as Luccia and her sister will be wearing her Luna costume. So it should be a fun time ;)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

The gloves and wristguards look good! And it's cool you've gotten Miru and her sister. :)

As far as the crotch armor goes (re: your last post), I've been looking at the picture, and I can't decide either. I would err on the side of comfort and make the entire piece fabric. As a Roman legion reenactor, I've worn metal or other non-cloth parts against thin cloth against skin before; it's fine for a demonstration, but when it's against any body part that moves much (like close to your legs or your shoulders) you have to be careful that you won't feel it.

On the other hand, you seem to have done a pretty good job with the armor so far; it looks comfortable and pretty sleek. If you can do a similar thing with the crotch piece, and you find yourself wondering about doing detail work on fabric, armor could work.

Of course, you asked the question 3 weeks ago, so you may've already made your decision. ^^;;; Let us know what you chose!
Sonic#

Alex_Pwns_Hiro
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Alex_Pwns_Hiro »

It looks really good so far!

Avianna
Saith Pirate

Post by Avianna »

I just wanted to share this cosplay with everyone here.

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/193011/

This is one of the Lunar cosplayers I will be meeting up with at Ohayocon.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Avianna wrote:I just wanted to share this cosplay with everyone here.
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/193011/
This is one of the Lunar cosplayers I will be meeting up with at Ohayocon.
Hey, Nobi! She's got one of your costumes!
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/51939/
...that is the same one, right? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Yep! She's an awesome cosplayer! XD

She posted a couple on DeviantArt, she also did Luna once before as well. :3

When she did the Giga costume I was so flattered I welled up a bit. Biggest honor of my life it was. ^_^
-Nobi

HiroOne
Red Dragon Priest

Post by HiroOne »

So yeah.. I'm seriously considering going to Ohayocon simply because of this awesome lunar cosplay get-together.. Here's the downside. It's an 8 hour trip and I made no plans. Is there any hotel room anywhere for Hiro anywhere? Understandable if not but would be nice =]

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Lucia <3 <3 <3.

*absconds*
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Avianna
Saith Pirate

Post by Avianna »

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1879013/

4 Days till I need to have it done... I swear, the bra and hat defy gravity. Which I guess is okay for the game since its all on the moon anyway...gggrrrrr...

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

The red eyes and black lipstick are now gonna give me nightmares. ><;