Halloween

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
Alunissage
Goddess
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Alunissage »

phyco126 wrote:Wait, I thought halloween (Hallows Eve) was to celebrate the dead and to ward off bad spirits?
Right -- which part do you suppose the people in costume are playing, the people warding off bad spirits, or the bad spirits themselves? What about the ever-popular witch and ghost costumes, and the devils and monsters? And as far as I know (I haven't looked it up recently), All Hallows Eve wasn't about celebrating the dead... that was All Saints Day, Nov 1.
AnimeJei wrote:maybe they thought I was a maniac and could snap any moment.. maybe they were right..mwahahah!
This, of course, demonstrates the related concept of crazy=cool, as something to humorously claim with pride for being Different.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

sometimes a joke is simply a joke.

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

Alunissage wrote:
phyco126 wrote:Wait, I thought halloween (Hallows Eve) was to celebrate the dead and to ward off bad spirits?
Right -- which part do you suppose the people in costume are playing, the people warding off bad spirits, or the bad spirits themselves? What about the ever-popular witch and ghost costumes, and the devils and monsters? And as far as I know (I haven't looked it up recently), All Hallows Eve wasn't about celebrating the dead... that was All Saints Day, Nov 1.
AnimeJei wrote:maybe they thought I was a maniac and could snap any moment.. maybe they were right..mwahahah!
This, of course, demonstrates the related concept of crazy=cool, as something to humorously claim with pride for being Different.
Try looking up sarcasm... :roll: and yes, I do find pride in being different, you should too..
Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:sometimes a joke is simply a joke.
Exactly..
Image"Sample my goods!!"

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:sometimes a joke is simply a joke.
To quote Seinfeld (to the best of my ability), "Remember that joke I told about the terminally-ill patient who went to Bavaria for treatment, but when he got there he decided to just get pie? There was no truth in that joke."

Actually, I disagree with your claim. This is coming from someone who has been up on stage for open-mike nights a few times (which really counts for nothing :D... just saying ). Every joke that is written (by adults) has reflected some attitude. Even my most nonsensical, deadpan jokes, reflect some other meaning. This meaning may not even be apparent to me at the time of writing, but it's there. Heck, even little kids' jokes are more than simple jokes and reflect the way that they see the world.

Also, AnimeJel, I think sarcasm means something a bit different than you think it does. Sarcasm implies humor that is biting or caustic-- not simply stating the opposite of what is intended (verbal irony). Stephen Colbert is sarcastic; your statement was not. Sorry, this is just a pet peeve of mine.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Again, I have no problem with being different; I've been notably different since I was an infant. But making a big point of "OMG I'm so unique" in the same way everyone else does rather misses the point. One sees rather a lot of jokes about being crazy, especially in things like the introduction threads, and you know, it gets boring. Pretending to be insane is becomes just inane.

Perhaps it's a phase. There's probably some pithy quote about a certain age range being about loudly asserting individuality by doing what everyone around them is, when what one is really trying to assert is separation from one's parents, not one's peers. I don't have time to look it up or synthesize it right now, though.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I'm not unique, 5.6 million americans copied me and gave themselves Bi-polar. Those freaks.

=P

Halloween, well, I watched a history channel on it and how it evolved, much like how easter evolved, christmas has evolved, and Valentines day has evolved. It was slow, not instant, and finally in the end it became commercialized.

Still, a kid isn't going to go "I'm gonna be a demon, because it evil, and that makes me cool." Then puts on a pair of shades, lights up a smoke, and gets a girl preggy. =P 1950s dramma FTW! *ahem* Anyway, kids do it because they just like the costume, or yes think it's cool, but they have no real concept of "evil." Plus, I've seen an equal amount of costumes these days, actually more of, that relate to nothing evil at all. Winnie the Pooh, Star Wars, dressing up as a women, etc.

Wait, I guess those are evil. *cries* HOLD ME!

;) =P

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

But not all participants in Halloween are kids. Maybe it's more of a children's holiday where you are, but it sure isn't here.

I now have three cats, one of which is all black and the other two are mostly black with some white. I've been advised repeatedly to make sure that I keep them indoors on Halloween. It's not eight-year-olds I'm concerned about getting hold of them.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I definately agree with the exasperation with an "evil=cool" mentality, but those crazies who would do stuff to a black cat on Halloween are very much in the minority of people who celebrate the holiday. The vast majority of adults who celebrate Halloween do it either by putting on a silly costume and going to a party or by staying at home and giving candy to trick or treaters.

It's still a good idea to keep your cats inside on Halloween, though. Those crazies may not be common at all, but it only takes one for something terrible to happen.

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

I guess I missed the part where I said/typed that I pretend to be insane......nope *shock* it's not there... just said they might have thought some thing...never was cool installed into that post *shrugs* You really should be in media/reporting because you can make something WAY more than it is. I personally think the "I'm so deep and don't have any sense of humor makes me more cool" is played out too, right? :roll: I'm am not looking for a pat on the back for being different.. again, putting words into others mouths :P
Image"Sample my goods!!"

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

You know... this thread is a really good indicator of why I like L-Net so much. No, it's not because of the hentai in the first post (I was pretty shocked by that since I was just expecting a thread about everyone's Halloween plans). I like Lunar-Net so much because we can have a fairly intelligent thread discussing important issues.

Maybe to you Alun looks too deeply into what you wrote and what you drew. But here's the deal, that's what it means to analyze art. If we were just analyzing the aesthetic value, we wouldn't have much to say about your art. Also, whether you feel this is just or not, your art is a reflection of your attitudes. And if you can't handle people analyzing your art (and by extension you), you probably shouldn't post on an art forum. When I published a satiric "essay" here, I didn't have the reaction I wanted. Granted my discussion didn't grow so large. However, I took it in stride. Yes, I was kinda upset, but I don't think I reached the level of sniping that you have.

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

Oh no, I have no problem with people and their opinions and views. And anyone has a right to say and think as they wish but I have just a right to debate it, no? I am use to this for many, many years. But I have my opinions too, and I don't label people solely on a work or post. I could easily say with any walkthroughs on any games that that person "has too much time on their hands" But to me that isn't right. I don't mind being labeled what other perceive, most the time I laugh it off, especially if it's here online but I have a right to debate it, I mean who just sits down for it? Like I said, many, many, MANY time.. it's all in good fun from my pov and yes it's good to have these dicussions. As for the thread going on, I am not the only one reviving it so please point that in other directions too, thanks ^^ and as I said before, I respect all opinions but I can't say the same for others. As for the reaction on any of my artwork I am always satisfied but I do have the right to say "No this isn't the reason I drew this piece" as any person should. And it's great to agree to disagree. For all anyone knows, I could be a female masquerading as a male and then would what would be said about previous artwork.. I bet it would change..maybe just a little. :)

I or anyone could have easily concluded from her post that she thought anime was a lesser form of art and labeled it as that but I asked if that is what she thought, she gave her reply and that was that. But it's the opposite coming this way. And if some people are find with juding a book by it's cover or artwork that's cool with me. There is nothing wrong with a little friendly debate, it makes for a more interesting day. 8)
Image"Sample my goods!!"

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

AnimeJei wrote:I guess I missed the part where I said/typed that I pretend to be insane......nope *shock* it's not there... just said they might have thought some thing...never was cool installed into that post *shrugs*
I've used the plural enough to indicate that I'm speaking in generalities rather than solely about you. But the comment of yours that prompted my more general one (which I've felt for years) was "maybe they thought I was a maniac and could snap any moment.. maybe they were right..mwahahah!" Which I stated when I first said it. Do I need to break it down word by word?

While we're speaking of generalities prompted by specific instances, I'd class drawing anime-style and signing it in katakana as an attempt to be cool too... though not as bad as randomly putting Japanimese words into one's post. That particular peeve is Kizyr's area rather than mine, though. :P
AnimeJei wrote: You really should be in media/reporting because you can make something WAY more than it is. I personally think the "I'm so deep and don't have any sense of humor makes me more cool" is played out too, right? :roll: I'm am not looking for a pat on the back for being different.. again, putting words into others mouths :P
I don't know if you intended that last phrase to describe the previous sentence. I don't discuss things to be cool or deep, I discuss things because I think they need to be discussed and/or I find them interesting. If you're not up to participating in serious conversation, that's fine; there are other people here who are. My sense of humor has other outlets and does not lend itself well to this setting, so why should I force it?
AnimeJei wrote: I have just a right to debate it
The above is debate? The first comment sounded more like a brush-off to me, rather than serious consideration, analysis, and refutation.
AnimeJei wrote:As for the thread going on, I am not the only one reviving it so please point that in other directions too, thanks ^^ and as I said before, I respect all opinions but I can't say the same for others.
Why are you talking as if you think everything in this thread is about and directed at you? You may have created it, but you don't own it. It should be pretty obvious that side conversations and discussions are occurring without your participation already. And your flippant dismissal of criticism as "you're just wrong" hardly registers as respect.

(Mind, I'm not claiming to respect all opinions myself. Sometimes people are just wrong.)

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

For myself I can say no (writing katakana), that is not why I do it, maybe some do. And I am not treating like everything is directed at me, just referring to where I have been quoted and going from there. If something sounds like a brush-off then take it as you will.
Image"Sample my goods!!"

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

AnimeJei wrote:For myself I can say no (writing katakana), that is not why I do it, maybe some do.
You know, I didn't even notice that 'til now...

Honestly, the handwriting on that sig isn't that good, now that I'm seeing it.

I actually like the artwork you posted in the first page (since the beginning, and I still do). The katakana sig detracts from it, albeit very slightly. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Boy, whatever happened to the good old days when the worst thing someone would do to a cat would be to shot it and end it's life quick, or to just tie little bags of sand to their feet?

By the way, scotch tape works well on the bottom of their feet and it's funny to watch them walk with it sticking to the floor, also don't put any on a hamster, they'll kill themselves trying to get it off.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

phyco126 wrote:By the way, scotch tape works well on the bottom of their feet and it's funny to watch them walk with it sticking to the floor, also don't put any on a hamster, they'll kill themselves trying to get it off.
Right. Because tormenting an animal is hilarious.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

What, you never used a cat for kick ball when you couldn't find a ball? :(

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

cf. Gary Larson's "Tethercat" cartoon, which did not go over well.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I remember that! I can see where there would be complaints, and it wasn't nearly his funniest, but I was okay with it. Perhaps because Larsen did it, so I'd know that it's him going off in the deep end. And I didn't see it when it was originally printed.
For all anyone knows, I could be a female masquerading as a male and then would what would be said about previous artwork.. I bet it would change..maybe just a little.
I'd have said the same thing.

There's been an interesting discussion going on in the school newspaper. It started with an anti-feminist column, and then there was a feminist response which said, "... women cannot be sexist. I do recognize that men are given societal expectations and requirements that seem to be a result of sexism, but you should keep in mind that the people who make sexism exist in the first place are men and you can’t actually oppress yourself. Women don’t oppress men. Men oppress women and men."

Now, I think that elsewhere she made some pretty good points. But there's been a reckoning with this statement, I think rightly so. She places blame for sexism too exclusively on men. Women can produce art that is considered sexist. They can certainly uphold the status quo. They can, as any of us can, "oppress."

Anyway, both authors have been receiving her reckoning, one for being sexist, the other for denying that she can be sexist.

But yes. If you, as a hypothetical woman, had drawn them, I would still observe how fun it looks, as compared to how uncomfortable it would be. I would still allow for some speculation about your artistic motive, and so on. It'd be the same, or at least very similar.

My return question to you, because I find it highly interesting, is why you think we should respond differently if a woman produces material that we find objectionable to her gender, as opposed to a man?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Sonic# wrote:There's been an interesting discussion going on in the school newspaper. It started with an anti-feminist column, and then there was a feminist response which said, "... women cannot be sexist. I do recognize that men are given societal expectations and requirements that seem to be a result of sexism, but you should keep in mind that the people who make sexism exist in the first place are men and you can’t actually oppress yourself. Women don’t oppress men. Men oppress women and men."

Now, I think that elsewhere she made some pretty good points. But there's been a reckoning with this statement, I think rightly so. She places blame for sexism too exclusively on men. Women can produce art that is considered sexist. They can certainly uphold the status quo. They can, as any of us can, "oppress."
It's also faulty logic. Ann Coulter, for instance, is extremely misogynistic.

You can oppress the same group that you're a part of. Anyone who's convinced that's impossible must have a severely limited experience with 'oppression'. Although it is a valid point she's hitting at with regards to the fact that sexism is nearly always misogynistic, and very rarely mison... the equivalent term that'd be applied to men. I could toss 'reverse racism' in the same line, but then that'd get this discussion on a whole 'nother tangent... KF
~Kizyr (they|them)