poem

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

poem

Post by exigence »

I have a project for english class, i'm just need to know what your guys favorite poems are and why.

mines kubla khan, because its so vivid it just rips my mind into that world.

Pluvius
Iluk Crackpot

Re: poem

Post by Pluvius »

Mine is a sexist poem I wrote, but I think it's a bit dirty for here. =/
RED! Do you know what that means? I am the most powerful trainer in the world.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Whoa! Pluvius, could you tone that signature down? It'd look nice just standing still.

I have loads of favorite poems. Kubla Khan is great... actually, I'd have to say the one that comes to mind first (because of the connection to Coleridge maybe) is Christabel. Tu-whit tu-whoo... the poem's form (four stressed syllables per line) is one I really love. There is a damsel, Christabel, housed in a decrepit old castle. When she goes out for a walk at midnight, she finds a woman that has been pursued by ravaging knights, Geraldine. She takes her back to the castle, and there are all of these lovely, subtle hints that something isn't right. (Besides it being midnight, the time of night when such things are likely to happen.) Finally, they go back to the room, and there is this ethereal, spiritual struggle (with the spirit of Christabel's mother) until it culminates in these lines:

"Beneath the lamp the lady bowed,
And slowly rolled her eyes around ;
Then drawing in her breath aloud,
Like one that shuddered, she unbound
The cincture from beneath her breast :
Her silken robe, and inner vest,
Dropt to her feet, and full in view,
Behold ! her bosom, and half her side-- --
A sight to dream of, not to tell !
O shield her ! shield sweet Christabel !"

This corruption she can't reveal to her father in the next section, because of a spell passed to her. And so Geraldine comes into the court, though the reader and Christabel both rebel against it, Christabel being unable to speak up against her shame.

It's so... wonderfully sublime, a mixture of richness and detailed, imaginative decay. "A sight to dream of, not to tell !" ... these words really leaves me speculating and thrillingly chilled at once.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

If you dont mind me using you for my project can I get your name and age.