Emergency Crit needed

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Emergency Crit needed

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Okay, I'm working on a piece for the Sega Sonic Fanart contest (this one http://www.sega.com/sonicblackknight/contest/us/ ) that ends this Friday, and I'm in need of an emergency critique.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
-Nobi

CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest

Re: Emergency Crit needed

Post by CatsWithMatches »

The shading on sonic is great. Nice and deep.

If that's supposed to be water below the buildings in the background, it doesn't quite look like it.

Otherwise, it rocks. What's the medium?

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

Great work so far! Awesome, I love that you are going line-less :D I dig your angle, it's dynamic seeing Sonic run at you. It'd be cool if you could add more buildings in the foreground, or you could cheat by doing mist or something, because it seems like they are running in front of a giant backdrop from the Lateshow.

Also you should establish visual hierarchy- everything right now has the same weight, so Sonic doesn't pop as well as he could be. Right now the sky is as saturated as Sonic, making them feel like they are on the same plane. Try looking up some reference on what you want to say.

This is kind of an example, it has a city in the background that really drops out to give an amazing sense of space:
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/3794/madhaven7ts.jpg
Atmospheric perspective will help a lot =]

Edit: Also, maybe dropping the cityscape horizon line way lower in the picture could make them seem really high up- right now they seem to be 5 feet above the water. The negative space will really help the area around them breathe, too. Plus you can paint a sky of wicked clouds then :D
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Awesome! Good game to draw from for the contest, too...

It looks really cool. The only thing that struck me about it was the buildings... they look like a cardboard cut-out. No depth. Which, admittedly, you might be on time restraints, but... following LuciaOne's advice seems like it would help that some.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Sadrin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sadrin »

Other than what LuciaOne already said, it looks Spiffy!
Depend On You Changed My Life.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

TaoTeCheese wrote:The shading on sonic is great. Nice and deep.

If that's supposed to be water below the buildings in the background, it doesn't quite look like it.

Otherwise, it rocks. What's the medium?
Yeah, depending on the changes, I may just omit the water all together.

Using openCanvas 4.06
LuciaOne wrote:Also you should establish visual hierarchy- everything right now has the same weight, so Sonic doesn't pop as well as he could be. Right now the sky is as saturated as Sonic, making them feel like they are on the same plane. Try looking up some reference on what you want to say.

This is kind of an example, it has a city in the background that really drops out to give an amazing sense of space:
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/3794/madhaven7ts.jpg
Atmospheric perspective will help a lot =]
Wow, that's amazing. I can give it the old college try, but realistically I've 2 more days to work on this, which considering I work 8-5 Mon-Fri means about 8-10 maximum >>;;
LuciaOne wrote:Edit: Also, maybe dropping the cityscape horizon line way lower in the picture could make them seem really high up- right now they seem to be 5 feet above the water. The negative space will really help the area around them breathe, too. Plus you can paint a sky of wicked clouds then
My only concern is do you think lowering the buildings/horizon would mess up the perspective on Sonic and the track? Would I need to paint the tops of the buildings and paint more buildings behind them to make it look right?
-Nobi

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

I'd make the background black as night for more contrast and maybe to keep it like sonic you could emulate the starlight zone.

http://retroperspective.files.wordpress ... ight12.png

Very impressive work though, regardless.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Reworked taking criticism into account. Please advise, tomorrow is the last night I can work on it.
-Nobi

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Wow, I like that a lot more. Not much else that I can say. Art was never my forte.

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

This picture reminds exactly of the stardust speedway future. I think you fight that metal sonic as well in that level. If you go to 3:40 into the video, the lightning strikes and it looks very similar to what you have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L265paLc ... re=related

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

That's exactly the scene I'm illustrating. The contest is to draw your favorite scene from any Sonic game.

Sonic CD forever! ^_^
-Nobi

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

WOOOOT AWESOME!! Sonic CD is the shiznit. My only little thing now is don't make the clouds parallel to the picture plane, it makes them really boring. Having them go at an angle with some sweet lighting will really make this kick arse. Maybe something like this?
http://are.berkeley.edu/~perloff/PHOTO/VIEW/clouds3.jpg
Don't be afraid to use the most saturated crazy colors to shade clouds, that's the best way to make them look realistic (I'm sure you know but never, ever, ever use white!!).
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Nobiyuki77 wrote:That's exactly the scene I'm illustrating. The contest is to draw your favorite scene from any Sonic game.

Sonic CD forever! ^_^
Yeah, that's my favorite scene of all-time, too!

Man, that change in the background seriously improved things. Now it gives a sense of angle and perspective that was missing beforehand. I'd take what Lucia just said about the clouds and try to work with that. I don't think she's gonna link her own art, so I'll do it; check out:
http://www.alayna.net/original/ninja.html
&
http://www.alayna.net/original/skyway.html

to perhaps give an idea of what direction you might want to go. But, I think that's the last thing to really clear up, particularly given the time you have. It's looking great so far, and I think other folks are gonna be just as impressed if not more so. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Well, I"ve done what I can do. I've run outta time. Sucks, but thems the breaks. Thank you all for your help with this piece, I couldn't have done it without your help and advise. ^_^

-Nobi

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I think you got it. I can almost hear the Stardust Speedway song in my mind when I see that image. Looks awesome. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Sonic FOR THE WIN!

I was looking at your almost finished picture and wanted you to improve Metal Sonic's eyes and I'm so glad to see that you did in the final rendition. I surely hope you win. What's the prize?

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Badass!

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Thanks. I'm really hoping I end up as one of the winners. :D
Silver Phoenix wrote:What's the prize?
A special gallery in Sonic and the Black Knight will feature the 20 winning pieces, and the winners get a free copy of the game.
-Nobi

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I'm sure you'll land in there, it really looks great. Now hopefully Sonic and the Black Knight doesn't suck like the current crop of Sonic titles.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Let us know if you win.

Also, let us know if the new Sonic game is any good.