Your favorite Artists.

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Your favorite Artists.

Post by DeathBeforeDenial »

All media accepted: painting, drawing, sculpture, prints, ceramic, architecture, photography, fiber, video etc. There will be no artistic hierarchy here!

I think, my all time favorite painter is Rene Magritte. The man had such a brilliant mind when it came to his compositions. I mean look at "The Human Condition" and "Golconda". Simple, yet elegant and always playing with your perceptions. He also produced I think my favorite painting of all time, "The Treachery of Images". It just reeks of delightfully clever antagonism, and a desire to redefine the artform.

My favorite sculptor would most likely be Rodin, for his role as arguably the man who saved sculpture in the late 19th and 20th centuries. Had he not taken a revolutionary role to the portrayal of his subjects sculpture may have become a lost art in the early 20th century. The "The Burghers of Calais" is a perfect example of his brilliance. Of course, everyone is likely already aware of his most famous work "The Thinker"

More to come, as at present, I grow weary. Though I will leave for the time being with the dazzling video art of Bill Viola. "The Reflecting Pool"
They said that on Saturday evening Arsenius used to turn his back to the setting sun and stretch out his hands towards heaven and pray until, at dawn on Sunday, the rising sun lit up his face, and then he sat down again.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: Your favorite Artists.

Post by Aaron »

I don't have a favorite artist. But I really really enjoy ancient sculptures, tools, weapons, and architecture.

I did take an Asian Art History class...did you know there are ruins from Alexander the Great's conquest of the world in Kashmir?! (Area between Pakistan and India)

And to top it off it looks like the Greeks were there too!

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Banksy. He's a British graffiti artist. He made the piece in my sig.

http://banksy.co.uk/

Hirox
Student of Vane

Post by Hirox »

I am quite fond of Jason Chan

http://www.jasonchanart.com/gallery/200 ... ground.jpg
This is my favorite of his works. I have a 28 x 36 of this on my wall above my bed.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Escher. I also really like Sandro del Prete.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

We're only talking visual arts, here, not literary or musical, right?

I don't have any favorite visual artists in particular, although a few do sort of stand out.

Banksy - I'm with ilmg on this one. My favorites are the murals he did on the West Bank wall, although the Gitmo prisoner at the Disney ride is a close second.

Hokusai - classical Edo-era Japanese artist, famous for ukiyo-e

Haji Noor (full name Haji Noor Deen Mi Guang Jiang) - modern Arabic, Chinese, and Arabic/Chinese fusion calligraphy (http://www.hajinoordeen.com/)

That's about all I can think of at the moment. I tend to just like specific works of art rather than artists overall (e.g., Thomas Cole--The Voyage of Life is on display at the National Gallery of Art in DC, and it's one of my favorites there, but I don't really care much for Cole otherwise). I also tend to like art that has some historic significance, like court painters during Mughal-era India or sculptors in Ancient Greece. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

You said photographers so these are probably my favorites:

Ansel Adams - greatest and most respected nature photographer of all time
Michael Anderson - Probably my favorite photographer ever.
Jack Brauer - I nearly went to Croatia to shoot the Plitvice lakes and waterfalls just based on his photos.
Kah Kit Yoong and Winnie Ho - Not just landscape photography, but there's a lot of great architectural stuff here.
-G1

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I like Escher as well, Alunissage. Especially his tasteful geometric designs, his tessellations... I like some of the artificial life art created recently that goes along these veins. Like this guy... http://www.karlsims.com/harmonograph/index.html. (It's a link to his harmonograph, which creates cool designs.)

I've always liked Seurat for his pinprick of color art style. Color and light! Though Sondheim's musical might have something to do with that.

Then there's Mary Cassatt. Try looking up Woman in Black at the Opera. I love the pose of that one, the way she caught her leaning forward and looking through her glasses. In other paintings, like Lydia Leaning on Her Arms, I love the colors that she picks out.

I like Waterhouse for his beautiful, beautiful women.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

ILMG and I were mentioning Banksy earlier, so I thought this would be relevant:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 238896.stm

Basically, a local council in East London started painting over a Banksy mural "by mistake". This is despite the fact that it was a privately-owned building, the owner of the building wanted the mural there (as did many of the other residents of the area), and the owner of the building actually consented to have Banksy paint it in the first place. The council alleges that they tried to contact her, but all they did was send mail to an address she lived at 25 years ago.

Cllr Alan Laing said: "The council's position is not to make a judgement call on whether graffiti is art."
Yeah, but is the council's position at least to respect someone's property? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Kizyr wrote:ILMG and I were mentioning Banksy earlier, so I thought this would be relevant:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 238896.stm

Basically, a local council in East London started painting over a Banksy mural "by mistake". This is despite the fact that it was a privately-owned building, the owner of the building wanted the mural there (as did many of the other residents of the area), and the owner of the building actually consented to have Banksy paint it in the first place. The council alleges that they tried to contact her, but all they did was send mail to an address she lived at 25 years ago.

Cllr Alan Laing said: "The council's position is not to make a judgement call on whether graffiti is art."
Yeah, but is the council's position at least to respect someone's property? KF

Man, I don't know what else I have to add, other than "that really sucks." The bit in the article about how the owner was literally in tears begging workmen to stop while they laughed was particularly tragic. Fatal hopping Philistines.