Review of Richard III

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
Pisces
Threadkiller
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Review of Richard III

Post by Pisces »

Ok, I know I haven't posted in what seems like ages, and many of you have no idea who I am, but most of the regulars know me and know my exploits in acting...anyway, this is the largest, most demanding role I've ever played, and our review came out and I'm just kinda gushing, so here's the link:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090905/E ... /709059931
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

-Tim Rice, from the song "Anthem" in the musical Chess

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Review of Richard III

Post by Kizyr »

That Salonis and Ashley Spessard, as Anne, pull off this scene is testament to both their acting abilities and to the staging and direction of Cathy Kurz.
A compliment, a compliment, my kingdom for a compliment!

Not quite iambic, but what can you do? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Well done sir! Kinda makes me think of the reviews we got when our theater group did a production of The Producers on stage. We were bouncing around from wall to wall for days.

Jolly good show!

Undine
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Undine »

Congratulations!

How far did you guys go with Richard's deformities? Did you have your back all padded up?

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Undine wrote:Congratulations!

How far did you guys go with Richard's deformities? Did you have your back all padded up?
They just accounted for Richard's deformities by having him be homosexual and named Eric. It was really hard role to play.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

(ignores Jenner)

Becca, yes, there was a hunch padded into my costume, and I basically stood a certain way and walked with a gait - there is a brace on my leg that looks like uncomfortable metal (it's actually leather) so I basically turn that leg out (opposite side of my body than the hunch) and sway my body a certain way like my shoulder is trying to meet that leg, kind of. And I have an arm that I can't use much, it's drawn against my body most of the time, with a gloved hand.
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Pisces wrote:(ignores Jenner)

Becca, yes, there was a hunch padded into my costume, and I basically stood a certain way and walked with a gait - there is a brace on my leg that looks like uncomfortable metal (it's actually leather) so I basically turn that leg out (opposite side of my body than the hunch) and sway my body a certain way like my shoulder is trying to meet that leg, kind of. And I have an arm that I can't use much, it's drawn against my body most of the time, with a gloved hand.
Is that your E Harmony Profile? Because I want to date you.

Also, did anyone you tube it? I want pics.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Al Pacino's portrayal of Richard III in Looking for Richard was what completely turned around my opinion of Shakespeare in general--in other words, it was the first clear picture I had of a Shakespeare play acted well.

Did you look to anything for inspiration, draw on your own style, combination of the two, or what? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Undine
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Undine »

Pisces wrote: Becca, yes, there was a hunch padded into my costume, and I basically stood a certain way and walked with a gait - there is a brace on my leg that looks like uncomfortable metal (it's actually leather) so I basically turn that leg out (opposite side of my body than the hunch) and sway my body a certain way like my shoulder is trying to meet that leg, kind of. And I have an arm that I can't use much, it's drawn against my body most of the time, with a gloved hand.
That's hot.

PottleElf
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by PottleElf »

Jenner wrote:They just accounted for Richard's deformities by having him be homosexual and named Eric. It was really hard role to play.
Tut, tut, thou art all ice, thy kindness freezeth.

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

Honestly, I just sort of started from scratch for my approach. I had seen the movie version with Ian McKellan (which had a majorly butchered script in my opinion), but only used that as a frame of reference for understanding a basis of the character, really. But I drew my own characterization mainly from the text and from myself and my director's input.

I had many people tell me I had a very new take on the character that they really liked.

PottleElf
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by PottleElf »

I looked to Lawrence Fishburne for inspiration when I played Othello in college.

They didn't let me wear the Morpheus sunglasses.

Jerks.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

PottleElf wrote:I looked to Lawrence Fishburne for inspiration when I played Othello in college.

They didn't let me wear the Morpheus sunglasses.

Jerks.
I cried when they took your katana away on stage.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.