Lunar: Eternal Sapphire [Some New News]

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Zophar »

Alunissage wrote:Please, call your game something other than Lunar 3. All we need is that post turning up in some websearch...

If you had watched the trailer you would know what its official name is. But since you haven't I will tell you. The official name is Lunar: The Eternal Sapphire.

Eternal Sapphire is not a game, it is going to be a movie. I don't have the knowledge in Action Script to make a RPG in Flash. Even if I did, if I were to make the series of episodes into one game the file size would be huge.

Rune Lai wrote:Humans being the unimaginative creatures that we are... tend to name things after how they look or after people (when it comes to real world place names). I think Winddale works. It's a dale, it's windy. After a while people might start calling the place Winddale. Or if you like the language to evolve, it might become Windale because humans are inherently lazy and tend to slur things together when given half the chance. (The double "d" sound would get reduced to a single "d.")

The problem with Kokoro is that it could have pulled the player out of the game. Someone could be enjoying a nice European-based fantasy setting and then wonder what a Japanese name is doing there. Lunar pulls its heritage from medieval European fantasy, so the majority of names should fit the setting. They don't have to be real-world European, but they should feel like they could be.

Yeah it seems that everyone likes Winddale over Kokoro.

When I complete the first episode I am going to edit my first post and put the link there, just thought I would let everyone know ahead of time.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Out of curiosity, just how many episodes do you plan on this movie being?

And just to nitpick a bit, maybe this thread would fit in better in the "Arts" section of the site? It's certainly an artistic venture...

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

ilovemyguitar wrote:Out of curiosity, just how many episodes do you plan on this movie being?

And just to nitpick a bit, maybe this thread would fit in better in the "Arts" section of the site? It's certainly an artistic venture...

At this point I am not entirely sure. My guess would be anywhere from 15-20 episodes. Maybe even more.

I don't know if a thread about this movie series would belong in the "Arts" section. Well if the Mods think that it does belong in there they will move it.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Zophar wrote:I don't know if a thread about this movie series would belong in the "Arts" section. Well if the Mods think that it does belong in there they will move it.

I'm fairly sure that movies fall under the category of "the arts."

But whatever, it's just a silly nitpick. I'll definately watch it, whatever thread it appears in. :D

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Rune Lai wrote:Lunar pulls its heritage from medieval European fantasy, so the majority of names should fit the setting. They don't have to be real-world European, but they should feel like they could be.

Well, Lunar pulls its heritage mostly from Greco-Roman roots, though a few locales do pull from other sources. Horam and the martial arts schools obviously pull from East Asia, for instance, and Alun has a good point about the Blue Star's temple looking Assyrian. The Gypsy Caravan also is Eastern European. And me, well, I like to think that pre-TSS Frontier had more of an Ancient Egyptian flavor to it.

Point is, the places are either separate, or have a believable reason for their difference. I mean, Horam is way to the West, apart from the mainland. The Blue Spire is a world away from Lunar. And for my ideas about the Frontier, that's separated by mountains and solidified by the banishment of rebels. So, while it's fine to cull from different sources for names and themes, the problem with mixing is more so when it comes off as random. That's why a Japanese town in the middle of Katarina wouldn't make sense, but Lunn's Dojo in the middle of Meribia does--we know Lunn studied martial arts (and later find that it was from Horam), so introducing the dojo in the city had a purpose.

By the way, this has been moved to The Arts. Point taken about it being more fitting there. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Being the lover of Flash, and Lunar that I am, this looked like a very intriguing thread. Unfortunately because I live in an area without DSL, (and can't afford a cable modem & pay my bills) I'm stuck with a crappy dial-up connection and couldn't view your movie. (Using Flash Player 8)

It would be a good idea to add a pre-loader to your Flash movie so we slo-pokes can see it. Otherwise you end up alienating part of your potential fanbase, and that's no good for anyone. I'm not sure how much Actionscript you know, so if you want help in making a preloader, or just want me to send you one, PM me, and I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Otherwise it's really cool to see someone making a Lunar Flash movie! I'm working on a map navigation ap in Flash, but have been too sidetracked with other projects to finish it. It'll happen eventually.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

A side note on the Arts/Movies, Music and Books board topics: I guess this post could work in both locations, but I do think it fits the Arts better, as it's the artistic creation of one of the members here. The movies, music and books board is predominately meant to be commercial products, rather than a fan creation. I think the creative outlet of things like this lends itself better to the Arts board.
-G1

Bravo 29
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Bravo 29 »

BLAH! I tried the link, and it's broken. It says there's no such user as "zophar" listed on the site. Is there another addy for the video, because it sounds like it's very good. I'd definitely like to see it.

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

Bravo 29 wrote:BLAH! I tried the link, and it's broken. It says there's no such user as "zophar" listed on the site. Is there another addy for the video, because it sounds like it's very good. I'd definitely like to see it.

I updated my first post in this topic with a different link, you can find it in the link section.

Speaking of which I have finally completed episode I, you can also find the link in the link section (of my first post). Or just go here instead of going all the way back to my first post: Episode I

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Episode one was pretty good. I like the sprites and it definitely has the look of Lunar so far. I only had a few problems with it. One, pressing the button to continue. You said you were using flash right? So you could just set it so that the text would move on automatically... I think that would give it more of a movie feel. Also, I think you may want to work on your transitions... maybe have things fade in and out because some of the scenes changed abruptly kind of messing with the flow. One last thing is the script, it's not bad, so please don't get me wrong, but I think you may want to make sure you don't use the same kind of phrase too closely together, such as "Sure thing"... unless that's how everyone talks. What I mean, is for your main character to have a unique "voice" compared to other minor characters. I guess there isn't much you can do being that Jack only talks to two people, but maybe it something to think about for future episodes. Again, I don't think it's bad at all, so I hope I'm not giving that impression.

Anyhow, I'll be looking forward to the next episode! :)

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

PrettyGirlJean wrote:Episode one was pretty good. I like the sprites and it definitely has the look of Lunar so far. I only had a few problems with it. One, pressing the button to continue. You said you were using flash right? So you could just set it so that the text would move on automatically... I think that would give it more of a movie feel. Also, I think you may want to work on your transitions... maybe have things fade in and out because some of the scenes changed abruptly kind of messing with the flow. One last thing is the script, it's not bad, so please don't get me wrong, but I think you may want to make sure you don't use the same kind of phrase too closely together, such as "Sure thing"... unless that's how everyone talks. What I mean, is for your main character to have a unique "voice" compared to other minor characters. I guess there isn't much you can do being that Jack only talks to two people, but maybe it something to think about for future episodes. Again, I don't think it's bad at all, so I hope I'm not giving that impression.

Anyhow, I'll be looking forward to the next episode! :)

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. :) The reason I have buttons for the dialog is because everyone has a different readings speed, some are faster than others and this way gives everyone a chance to take as long as they need to finish reading the text so they don't miss anything.

I am currently trying to figure out how to make a movie move forward by pressing a key instead of clicking the button.

I would like to make scenes in flash fade in or out but the only problem is that I don't know how to do that. And I will work on how characters talk, it's the first time I have ever done anything like this.

So to wrap it all up in a nutshell I still have a lot to learn in flash.

Bravo 29
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Bravo 29 »

Finally saw the movie, and it was pretty neat. The dialogue is a little iffy, but nothing a little fine-tuning couldn't fix. I especially loved Jack's comment "THIS is why I hate going into the forest." That was funny. At least he didn't run into the main villain so early like Hiro did. He should thank his lucky stars. I can hardly wait for the next episode. Keep it up. :D

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

So to wrap it all up in a nutshell I still have a lot to learn in flash.

Heh. We all do. It's never enough. Like when you ask a musician how're they're coming along and they always say, "better than ever, but not where I want to be."

As for using the keystrokes to move the movie along, this code should do the trick:

stop();
if(Key.getCode()==114){
play();
}

It checks to see if the enter key (114 in ascii values cuz Flash doesn't speak Engish I guess) is pressed, then moves the playhead along. Be careful about using it on consecutive frames though, otherwise if someone presses Enter, and it's still pressed in the next frame, it'll fly through your movie. Flash has something called "listeners" that might help in this situation. If you create a listener for the situation, it'll wait for something to happen (in this case the ket being pressed) and do someting (like play) but you can customize it for more control.

Again, good luck.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Zophar wrote:
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. :) The reason I have buttons for the dialog is because everyone has a different readings speed, some are faster than others and this way gives everyone a chance to take as long as they need to finish reading the text so they don't miss anything.

I would like to make scenes in flash fade in or out but the only problem is that I don't know how to do that. And I will work on how characters talk, it's the first time I have ever done anything like this.

Actually, fading in and out is pretty easy. I'll email or PM you as soon as I can with how-to :) I understand you don't want it to go too fast, but it's a good assumption that if you've read it two or three times over that the audience has read it at least once. But if you want to keep the buttons that's kewl too, but maybe change the button to something more Lunar-esque? Like a moon or a starlight? :)

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

Bravo 29 wrote:Finally saw the movie, and it was pretty neat. The dialogue is a little iffy, but nothing a little fine-tuning couldn't fix. I especially loved Jack's comment "THIS is why I hate going into the forest." That was funny. At least he didn't run into the main villain so early like Hiro did. He should thank his lucky stars. I can hardly wait for the next episode. Keep it up. :D

Thank you :), it's going to be for a while before the main villian is introduced.

localflick wrote:Heh. We all do. It's never enough. Like when you ask a musician how're they're coming along and they always say, "better than ever, but not where I want to be."

As for using the keystrokes to move the movie along, this code should do the trick:

stop();
if(Key.getCode()==114){
play();
}

It checks to see if the enter key (114 in ascii values cuz Flash doesn't speak Engish I guess) is pressed, then moves the playhead along. Be careful about using it on consecutive frames though, otherwise if someone presses Enter, and it's still pressed in the next frame, it'll fly through your movie. Flash has something called "listeners" that might help in this situation. If you create a listener for the situation, it'll wait for something to happen (in this case the ket being pressed) and do someting (like play) but you can customize it for more control.

Again, good luck.

Thanks for the action script command! :D

PrettyGirlJean wrote:Actually, fading in and out is pretty easy. I'll email or PM you as soon as I can with how-to I understand you don't want it to go too fast, but it's a good assumption that if you've read it two or three times over that the audience has read it at least once. But if you want to keep the buttons that's kewl too, but maybe change the button to something more Lunar-esque? Like a moon or a starlight?

Thanks, I might still use the buttons for things in the movie but I am not sure at this point.

Also there is something I would like to say about the next episode. It's going to have Extras at the end talking about various things like the origins of Winddale village.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Pushing a button to advance dialogue would make it feel more RPG-like. So I guess the question is do you want it to feel like a movie, or an RPG?

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I like it so far. I'm interested in how other fans envision post-restoration Lunar. I have some storytelling criticism and suggestions for you - hopefully my questions will help you define your characters.

One complaint I have is that I feel like I'm playing a very old RPG as I read through it. As PrettyGirlJean pointed out there is a lack of individuality in the way the characters speak, and the characters don't have strong reactions to the events going on around them. I think the exchange where Jack's mother tells him he's not her real child illustrates this issue well.

- First of all, Jack's mom doesn't seem very bothered by the fact that her kid wants to leave town. Did she know that he would want to leave on a journey of self-discovery? Or has Jack, like Alex, dreamed of adventure for so long that she knows she can't change his mind? If so, she doesn't say so.

- Jack doesn't have much to say about the revelation that his parents are adoptive parents. Has he never quite felt like he fits in? Or is he just an introverted sort? Or is it something else entirely?

- Mom's "Don't come back" line stood out as being un-motherly. I can't imagine a supportive mother telling her child this except under unusual circumstances. Is Winddale that bad a place? Or does she think Jack has a lot of potential and doesn't want him to come back until he realizes it? If so, you should make it clear.

Other things: Jack's father is mentioned - where is he? Did something happen to him? Does Jack have any friends in the village that would miss him if he suddenly went away?

Suggestions: If Jack had a prophetic dream (perhaps seeing a vision of the person he hears later) the night before he collapses in the woods, it would reinforce the fact that strange forces are trying to contact him. Also, it is typical for Lunar games to begin with a monologue of the hero talking about his dreams and goals. If Jack did something like that, it would strengthen his character. Maybe you could work that into chapter 2. :)
「まあいいけど。」

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

Here is the link to episode II: Click here

You can also find it on my first post in this topic. Let me know what you think.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

It's all my fault episode 2 took so long ^^; Blame me! I wasn't able to get the rest of the artwork done until today ;_;

It was a lot of fun drawing up the characters... I'll be looking forward to the next character and the cutscenes! xD

Anyhow, it's so late now... I am starting to act weird so I'll go get some sleep! ^^

I hope everyone will the like the addition of my art. I know it's not Kubooka, but I hope you won't mind too much! :)

Take care all!

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

PrettyGirlJean wrote:It's all my fault episode 2 took so long ^^; Blame me! I wasn't able to get the rest of the artwork done until today ;_;

It was a lot of fun drawing up the characters... I'll be looking forward to the next character and the cutscenes! xD

Anyhow, it's so late now... I am starting to act weird so I'll go get some sleep! ^^

I hope everyone will the like the addition of my art. I know it's not Kubooka, but I hope you won't mind too much! :)

Take care all!

Hey, it's like I said before. Don't worry about it. The addition of your artwork has made the series more lunar-ish.

Yeah I had to stay up a little later than I usually do to in order to add in the artwork, and now I am having trouble keeping my eyes open. Need... sleep...

Anyway, good night everybody.