Websites of Love

For any and all webpolls.

Would you use a website to find friends and/or love if...

It was between $30 and $50 a month
No votes
It was between $19 and $29 a month
No votes
It was free and communication was free
31%
Never persue love or friendship through a website
38%
Don't know, I might, I might not.
31%

Total votes: 13

phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Websites of Love

Post by phyco126 »

So, what's your position on websites like True.com, Match.com, and eharmany.com? I use them, I like them, but they are worthless if you have no money to spend. You can see other people, but you can't talk to them. So, what do you think?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I've used a free service or two before (like MySpace). Mainly it's good for keeping in contact with current friends, but if I happen to see someone really cool, I'll contact them as well. That's actually how I re-met a person I knew in Kindergarten.

As for the pay sites... it depends. I believe that, as far as a real relationship goes, what matters can only be found by spending time with each other. They're a good way to meet people, maybe, but I can do so easily without paying so much. ^_~
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Hehe, I just have to chuckle at the person who chose the "I would never persue love or friendship through a website" just because L-net is a website in which friendships are made. Fair enough though. However, I need more votes and feedback, if there is any.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Well, there's a difference between using a website to find love and happening to find it on a site/board that has nothing to do with it. With your later post you're considering social boards such as LNet's to apply to that fourth poll option, so by that interpretation I can't select that one, since I met my fiance at the WDMB - but I haven't and wouldn't use a site dedicated to matchmaking.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

True, I never took into account the differences in seeking out unity and then just finding it. So, yeah, the poll is for match making websites soley, not useing them like places such as L-net is.

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

Hey, I met my b/f on okcupid.com ....
It's the peeps from TheSpark.com (before they got bought out) - It's mainly a free quiz site and it matches you up based on questions you answer w/peeps in your area.

FREEEEEEE!!!!!!
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Hey, I met my b/f on okcupid.com ....

Wow, and he hasn't turned out to be a psychopath yet!
::runs::

Anyway, eHarmony uses a Bayesian algorithm to match up its clients, and ends up with the highest success rate and lowest rate of crazy people. Bayesian algorithms basically use certain stats (in this case, qualitative answers to the questions you get) to come up with a probability of matching with someone else; a high probability means you'll get an email saying you have a match on there. The better spam filters do the same thing with predicting the probability that a certain email is spam, based on the frequency of certain words contained inside.

Ok, boring rant aside. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Now if only eHarmony was free, then we would be set :D

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I was having a discussion on this the other day... The fee can do a lot to discourage just anyone and everyone from signing up, which drops how many crazy folks you might get on there. Then again, you'll have some folks who are just desperate enough to not care about how much they pay. I think the fee does more good than harm, though. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)