Pink Bunnies
11%

Total votes: 19

Etherest
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

What can lead People?

Post by Etherest »

Hey, I'm surprized this has'nt been asked...
Okay, Hacker, listen up. I am tired of your fake assumptions! What is your problem?! Do you just like to mess with 14 year olds, who KNOW they don't lie to people at a site they consider HOME?!! PM ME NOW!

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Power. More specifically, my power.

Muahahah.

Now to get back to playing Civ3. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Scorpioeyez
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Scorpioeyez »

I can't answer because your question is too vague. Lead people to what?

I can see myself doing lots of things because of or for power but then again I can see myself doing many other things because of or for my faith.

punkabof1
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by punkabof1 »

I would say faith because faith is a choice for most ppl. Faith is what they really believe in and they hope in.

Erroneous
Legendary Hero

Post by Erroneous »

Scorpioeyez wrote:I can't answer because your question is too vague. Lead people to what?

Sounds pretty much like "What motivates you?"

I'd say, happyniess which is not there btw. lame
---
LunarNET Discord: https://discord.gg/yzXgsSa

Etherest
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Etherest »

Actually, I was refering to the " Eternal Theme " of Lunar, stated in one of the articles in a forum about Lunar DS. Kind of like...
Ghaleon vs. Althena = Power vs. Faith.....or the pink bunnies if you'd like.
......I know, I confuse myself sometimes....ah, and not to lead people to do something, but to...lead them...uh...just think Lunar.
"What can lead people; Power or Faith?"...but I added some other stuff too....btw, punkabof, that's the sort of answer I was looking for.
Okay, Hacker, listen up. I am tired of your fake assumptions! What is your problem?! Do you just like to mess with 14 year olds, who KNOW they don't lie to people at a site they consider HOME?!! PM ME NOW!

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

John Truitt! :D Kidding, actually I think faith leads people. Without faith, people would have nothing to believe in and would be hopeless.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Power. Faith rarely leads people unless it's the case in which faith achieves power. :P
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Kyon
Meribian Merchant

Post by Kyon »

Pink bunnies. xD [rolls] Hahaha.
*(^-^)* Kyon Neko

AbsoluteAlex
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AbsoluteAlex »

Interesting question. And I believe answers to it can range becuase everyone follows different things. I would say in general people dont follow others with just power. A leader has to have other qualities as well. People will follow examples. Someone who has a good character with strong morals, a strong will, someone who takes care of those under them, someone who shows competence in what they are doing. Charisma also helps that. In general, I have seen that people will follow someone with charisma. Power is derived from all of these qualities. Faith is something that is important, but can be dangerous if followed blindly. (Which so many people do in this world) I have seen first hand how powerful and misguided faith can be right from my time in Israel and Egypt to the slums in areas of China. I have also seen first hand how a cult starts up. People will follow faith blindly, but in the end they usually are disappointed if they follow that alone.
I wasn't born to fit in, I was born to stand out

Post by Guest »

I said power because if people won't follow you can always make them follow you.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

That's not leadership, that's coercion. Controlling bodies is not the same as controlling minds and hearts. That one Discworld motto notwithstanding...I never can remember exactly how it goes in Latatian anyway.

Etherest
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Etherest »

And I believe answers to it can range becuase everyone follows different things. I would say in general people dont follow others with just power. A leader has to have other qualities as well.

I know that already. I was just asking the question of the so-called Eternal Theme...
I'd have to go with faith...those who follow others with power, who use it for wrong reasons, and who make people follow them should be exiled or something.
Last edited by Etherest on Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mog Dragonheart
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Mog Dragonheart »

I say people put their faith into someone with power.

AbsoluteAlex
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AbsoluteAlex »

I would say Mog and Etherest both have valid points. Some of the greatest dictatorships and monarchies of the world were build on power and fell becasue of that power. People who put their faith into someone with power are easially decieved. Take for example the rise of the Nazi party. When Germany was at a tremendous depression the German people put their faith into someone with power who promised them many things. In the end it almost came to the ruin of our world. That is the danger of blindly putting your faith into something. Even take the example of Althena's Cult from EB. There were probably many people who thought they were serving a just goddess who loved them and her people. In the end though they were helping a bloodthristy god to destroy their world.
I wasn't born to fit in, I was born to stand out

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Personally, I don't see it as a simple division between faith and power. I also am still not understanding exactly the nuance you're trying to convey in lead. Do you mean, what we allow ourselves to be drawn forward by?

If so, then the answer's going to be different for each of us. I actually tend toward the answer of happiness. Power... that to me represents the ability to accomplish a goal, especially involving the use of other people. Faith... is approximately a belief, a loyalty, a trust in something, an allegiance, even. Is the question, then, whether the act of believing (faith) or the belief in acting (power) acts more to lead us (guide us) in life?

On the one hand, hope is useless if you do nothing to cultivate that hope in a reality, but then, acting without any ideal at all has the same chance of yielding that ideal as any random action. People will choose, and I daresay, sometimes they'll choose wrongly (like Althena's Cult and various dictators mentioned above).

That's why balances need to be made, so there's not too much power in just one place, but enough of it together that decisions can still be made. An example would be the Presidency. He's only the leader of one branch in three (four, if you include the bureaucracy). Surprisingly, however, we place most of our trust/faith/whatever (or choose not to place it) in this man, and often look to him to do things, pass laws and all, when that's the function of Congress, or the courts, or another organization.

What am I trying to say? (I ask myself this a lot. >_<) That people choose what leads them... and that the choices are many, and complicated... whether it's in a government, a literary character, a historical figure, god(/s/ess/esses), in themselves, in any and all combinations of them and even more... I try to avoid using the term faith exclusively, because it holds a religious connotation for me (and, indeed, is often defined that way), and there's a much greater range than even that.

And, now I must go back to practicing Civ 3. I will defeat Kiz! Or, at least survive as a minor empire, the last vestiges of a grand civilization, that will quietly take over its neighbors with its overpowering culture. The Greeks will rise again!
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Mog Dragonheart
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Mog Dragonheart »

Eh.. what the hell did you just say Sonic? I dont care much for individuality.
Generally speaking, "A PERSON is smart, but PEOPLE are stupid."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Sonic# wrote:And, now I must go back to practicing Civ 3. I will defeat Kiz! Or, at least survive as a minor empire, the last vestiges of a grand civilization, that will quietly take over its neighbors with its overpowering culture. The Greeks will rise again!

Funny how culture still can't beat out those 60 Modern Armor units at my disposal. Even then, culture can take 30-40 turns to take over a city; power does it in only 1 or 2.

Power: 1
Culture: 0

Muahahahah. I'm playing on the Regent level now and it's a whole new game (no more Chieftan for me). I wonder if I can ever step it up to Monarch level or higher... KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Etherest
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Etherest »

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Quark79/03.jpg
Okay, there. Yes it's old, but please, if you don't understand what I mean by 'lead', then...well, I can't be sure what it means either.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Mog Dragonheart wrote:Eh.. what the hell did you just say Sonic? I dont care much for individuality.
Generally speaking, "A PERSON is smart, but PEOPLE are stupid."

Or maybe it's just that one person's mistakes don't often affect people on a grand scale, while if everyone makes that mistake, we're all in for a massive hangover. The effect's greater because you're looking at more people, and there're more dumb ones... and more smart ones... and more that fall in between.

Kiz wrote:Funny how culture still can't beat out those 60 Modern Armor units at my disposal. Even then, culture can take 30-40 turns to take over a city; power does it in only 1 or 2.

Power: 1
Culture: 0

Muahahahah. I'm playing on the Regent level now and it's a whole new game (no more Chieftan for me). I wonder if I can ever step it up to Monarch level or higher... KF

Aye, aye. That's why I haven't done too well on that level... I don't ever build up enough of a defensive military force, because I love my universities... and outthinking people doesn't do any good when they've got Armors. >_<

I do wish to point out though that it takes many turns to build up an army that large, and many turns to build up manufacturing to be able to effectively create/support it. By the time you've used up all those resources... oooh, look, another couple of wonders built. Bwahahahaha. Of course, I can't really defend them, except by moving my hoplites (what? Still have hoplites? Noooo!) into better positions.

I need to learn how to build an army better.