Lunar: Dragon Song
No votes

Total votes: 16

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

What's your favorite Lunar game?

Post by AlexHiro4 »

I know some of these are remakes, but I still wanted to include all versions in this poll. My personal favorite is Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. It was the first game I played in the Lunar series, so I guess it has sentimental value to me.
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: What's your favorite Lunar game?

Post by Kizyr »

It's a toss-up between Eternal Blue and the remake. I really enjoyed both, and there are a handful of things in one version or the other that I really like. I ended up choosing the remake, since I think the characterization is a bit more fleshed out, and there are more really great scenes than what was removed (e.g., the flashbacks between Ronfar and Mauri).

Also, the extra dungeons in the Epilogue, particularly in the Playstation version, were a whole lot of fun. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by AlexHiro4 »

Kizyr wrote:Also, the extra dungeons in the Epilogue, particularly in the Playstation version, were a whole lot of fun. KF
I've never played the Sega CD version of Eternal Blue. Did it not have an epilogue?
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I went with EBC. It was my first Lunar and I still think its the greatest one too. :mrgreen:

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

AlexHiro4 wrote:
Kizyr wrote:Also, the extra dungeons in the Epilogue, particularly in the Playstation version, were a whole lot of fun. KF
I've never played the Sega CD version of Eternal Blue. Did it not have an epilogue?
The Sega CD version has an Epilogue, but it doesn't have as many optional dungeons. It only has Dragon's Nest and Lion Head, and you didn't even have to wait until the Epilogue to access them (though there is better gear in both of them in the Epilogue if you raid them during the main game first).

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

The Sega CD version has an Epilogue, but it doesn't have as many optional dungeons. It only has Dragon's Nest and Lion Head, and you didn't even have to wait until the Epilogue to access them (though there is better gear in both of them in the Epilogue if you raid them during the main game first).
Though it does have the dungeon near the White Dragon Cave that isn't in the remake. I was always disappointed in that dungeon's removal. The Sunken Tower. I always thought that was a prime location for the Dark Scimitar back in the day. With all those "Secret Room" area's.
-G1

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

GhaleonOne wrote:Though it does have the dungeon near the White Dragon Cave that isn't in the remake. I was always disappointed in that dungeon's removal. The Sunken Tower. I always thought that was a prime location for the Dark Scimitar back in the day. With all those "Secret Room" area's.
I think it's because the Iron Scimitar was in that same dungeon, so a lot of people got confused.

Now, if you left that same chest unopened, then returned to open it after defeating the Star Sentry on the bottom floor, it would contain the Dark Scimitar. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Well, I just always thought the fact that you could walk through some of the walls made me think the Dark Scimitar would be held in something like that.
-G1

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

I love TSS, but i hate the "back then" problems. I can't remember which, but i was in a dungeon wandering around for nearly an hour before i accidentally walked through the wall at the bottom of the screen. There was nothing to give me the slightest inclination that i'd be able to do that.

Hirox
Student of Vane

Post by Hirox »

I went SSSC because it was my first real rpg. I got it in 6th grade and fell in love...I borrowed it from a friend because he was on the 2nd disc and within two days I was like can I borrow the 2nd disc. I was hooked. I ended up buying it from him and then bought a new copy later on.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:I love TSS, but i hate the "back then" problems. I can't remember which, but i was in a dungeon wandering around for nearly an hour before i accidentally walked through the wall at the bottom of the screen. There was nothing to give me the slightest inclination that i'd be able to do that.
Zoc's Cave on Lann Island.

It gets everybody... KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Well, there is a doorway there. You just can't see it until the stuff below it has scrolled onscreen, which is usually after you've gone through it. But I think you can see bits of the passages below before then, suggesting that there has to be a way to get there. It's not like, say, walking through walls in Zelda 1's second quest.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

TSS had a lot of weird stuff like that. It would take me days to get past the Weird Woods because I couldn't trigger the right event by attempting to sell the diamond. There's lots of "trigger events" in TSS that can be fairly annoying if you don't remember them.
-G1

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

We need a nice combination of TSS and SSSC. Mix the soundtracks appropriately (which would leave us wondering which Meribia to use...i'm leaning TSS) and use the better sprites.

Some things in TSS were just plain better. The way you become a dragonmaster, for instance. the size of the game. although, without random battles, the overworld might as well be small. and i loved SSSC not having randoms.

One thing that always bugged me is the sprites hair not matching the anime pics. seriously, are people retarded? how is that hard to not get or at least very close?

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by AlexHiro4 »

You know, you guys speaking so highly about TSS and EB makes me want to blow more money on a Sega CD and copies of both of those games. I'm already working on Zelda Twilight Princess, Final Fantasy 6 Advance, Lunar DS, and I'm about to start Magical School Lunar. What are a couple more games? Lol. Seriously though, are the Sega CD versions different enough from the "Complete" versions that it would be worth my time and money to buy them?

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I've just started Lunar TSS (I'm in the White Dragon Cave), and I have to say, I've already noticed quite a few differences. Finally what Alunissage said about the temple styles being different makes sense. The overworld reminds me most of Phantasy Star, though I'm unsure why.

And as for getting a Sega CD, you don't have to do that unless you simply must play it on a TV with a genesis controller. The emulator I'm using works fine (Gens) runs fine, and I can play it off of the CD.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

AlexHiro4 wrote:You know, you guys speaking so highly about TSS and EB makes me want to blow more money on a Sega CD and copies of both of those games. I'm already working on Zelda Twilight Princess, Final Fantasy 6 Advance, Lunar DS, and I'm about to start Magical School Lunar. What are a couple more games? Lol. Seriously though, are the Sega CD versions different enough from the "Complete" versions that it would be worth my time and money to buy them?
The games are worth it, definitely.

But, the Sega CD itself isn't a necessity. I recommend using Gens+ (Gens-Plus). I even have a working Sega CD, but the thing is so bulky that I don't bother connecting it, and the emulator works juts as smoothly (and it has a turbo button, and it lets you take screenshots). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Dumb question Kizyr... where's the turbo button? I love going fast through tedious moments. ^^;;;
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Sonic# wrote:Dumb question Kizyr... where's the turbo button? I love going fast through tedious moments. ^^;;;
There's not a quick turbo button on Gens, but only in Gens-Plus (which I really recommend).

The Gens-Plus hotkey for turbo is Backspace. (And for screenshots, it's Shift+Backspace.)

Though, I use E-Speaking to issue voice commands to hit those keys, so I don't have to reach up to the keyboard to screenshot or use turbo. But, that's optional. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Actually, is there a Sega CD emulator that takes video yet? I thought there was, but wasn't sure. I might do a replay of the SCD games over the summer to get video's from the games for the site if I can find a way to pull it off.
-G1