Total votes: 56

Silentcrisis
BANNED
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Silentcrisis »

lunar 1 all the way

i bought sssc first then ebc

and i thought that lunar 1 was better
because the story seemed to throw a few more curves in lunar 2 it gave it all away in the first 20 mins you pretty much knew that zophar would be the final boss and that lucias one of the good guys for me there was no suprise

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

If you'd played the Sega CD version of Lunar 1, you probably would have enjoyed Lunar 2 a lot more. That version doesn't tell you that Althena decided to remain a human when she was born as Luna, so it's a big shock when you find this in Lunar 2.

Blue_Sycro
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Blue_Sycro »

I've though about this over and over...and while origianlly I liked Lunar 1 better, now I don't think I could ever really make a decision like this *is briefly reminded of Ghaleon's DMaster talk with Alex*.

While L1 admittedly had a tad too much of a cliche story (boy loves girl, girl get in trouble, boy saves girl), it was told really, really well. It was about more than just saving Luna, the fate of the whole world hung in the balance. Ghaleon's talk about "love or duty" in SSSC was sort of foreshadowing what the end of the game would be like... In L2, I thought watching Lucia's emotional development into a human was brilliant.

The games sort of...complete each other. Lame, yes. Sure, they're different stories and everything, but I felt like L2 was a complimentary sequel. Like, it just fit or something. [/i]

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Silentcrisis wrote:because the story seemed to throw a few more curves in lunar 2 it gave it all away in the first 20 mins you pretty much knew that zophar would be the final boss and that lucias one of the good guys for me there was no suprise

So? That was never intended to be a surprise. The plot twists are about the Four Heroes and Althena, and to a lesser extent Ghaleon's nature. And Lucia's departure, after the battle with Zophar.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

and i thought that lunar 1 was better
because the story seemed to throw a few more curves in lunar 2 it gave it all away in the first 20 mins you pretty much knew that zophar would be the final boss and that lucias one of the good guys for me there was no suprise

Yeah, but Lunar 2 was still no different in giving out the plot. In SSSC you got the general idea that Luna was the Goddess, and in SSSC you know Ghaleon is the main boss from the first time you see him. Naturally, I go for SSSC, but your reasoning, although making sense, kind of lacks with SSSC.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

... phyco, I did not know that Ghaleon would turn on me until... well, he turned on me. Luna being the Goddess, well... I guessed that by the time she was kidnapped. Of course, I wasn't yet attuned to RPG plot twists yet, so I couldn't have guessed them.

Of course, a big obvious thing from the beginning is that, somehow, in some way, Alex is going to become a Dragonmaster.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Seriously, you didn't know he would turn on you? Eh, each to their own I suppose. :D Though yes, I do have to say that I did indeed know that Alex was going to be the hero of the story, end up with Luna, and have a happy ending the first second I started playing the game :D. Thus, we need to pull a FFVII but with the main character instead!

Main Character: Hey, who's that?
*impaled*
Main Character: Uber...
*dies*

The End

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I didn't know in TSS really. I suspected a bit, but until it happened, I didn't know. But then, Ghaleon didn't have quite such a menacing style introduction sequence in the original TSS like he did in SSS.
-G1

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

GhaleonOne wrote:I didn't know in TSS really. I suspected a bit, but until it happened, I didn't know. But then, Ghaleon didn't have quite such a menacing style introduction sequence in the original TSS like he did in SSS.

That's true... in TSS, Ghaleon seemed to have just a "bored with meeting yet another Dragonmaster wannabe" attitude when he appears in TSS. It's not really menancing at all, especially if you think he probably has to deal with tons of Vane brats who want to be the next Dragonmaster in his role in the Magic Guild.
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

In TSS it took me forever to realize that Ghaleon and the Magic Emperor were the same person. (It's actually not blatently spelled out until near the end of the game. I initially thought Ghaleon and the Magic Emperor were on the same side, not the same person.) Ghaleon did surprise me when I first met him in Vane, because I realized he was "that guy" from the intro animation clenching his fist, but I knew he was one of the Four Heroes mentioned even earlier in the game and people thought well thought of, so I didn't see him and immediately think he was going to be the last boss. I think I might have thought he was a stooge for the last boss though, but not the last boss himself. ^^;
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I think I actually missed Ghaleon's introduction in TSS the first time I played it, because it was with my housemate and he played that part without me. He said he expected Ghaleon to be the bad guy because he was the only one with a spoken introduction instead of just a scene. It might have been more subtle in that game if Mel and Lemia had had spoken introductions too.

I know it was also quite a while before I noticed that only Dyne, Lemia, and Mel are shown in the intro in those sepia-toned ovals. Though I might not have realized that was Dyne and just thought they were showing the other important characters in general, rather than the three "good" heroes.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Dragonmaster Lou wrote:That's true... in TSS, Ghaleon seemed to have just a "bored with meeting yet another Dragonmaster wannabe" attitude when he appears in TSS. It's not really menancing at all, especially if you think he probably has to deal with tons of Vane brats who want to be the next Dragonmaster in his role in the Magic Guild.

Definitely unsurprising, since in the novels it's Nash, Alex, Mia, Kyle, and Jessica who want to be the next Dragonmaster. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

In SSSC, though, Ghaleon gets all sinister cause he KNOWS Alex already passed a trial. Which makes Alex a little more dangerous. Well. As dangerous a level 20 could ever be to a level 99.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.