Working Designs Translations

For any and all webpolls.

Do you love or hate Working Designs's Lunar translations?

Love
91%
Hate
9%

Total votes: 22

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Working Designs Translations

Post by Ardekh »

I was browsing some topic, and someone said you either love or hate the Working Designs translations of Lunar. So I'd like to see how many love, and how many hate. No middle option!

For me, it's definately a love. When it comes to that, the Lunar series is my number one rated. I'd probably consider Xenogears my favorite game, but they say "most probably" in that. :D Lunar just has amazing translation to me. I like the fact that it's not completely perfectly translated. That way, you don't get any foolish errors, and you get a lot of humor.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Bwa hahahaha! I love the current numbers XD

Personally, I really don't know any japanese, so I can't compare the translation to the original, but I loved the game just the same, so phhhhbbbtt.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I vote for love. The only way I would hate it is if it didn't make any sense, was ungrammatical, etc. There are a couple instances of slight errors I remember, but those can be readily forgiven.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, I kind of think this won't be the best place for a range of opinions, since Lunar was popularized in the US by them. I'm abstaining from this myself because I don't like expressing anything that strongly and while I think positively of the writing for the most part there are things I really don't care for much.

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

It was popularized in the US by them, but I mean in relation to other RPGs you've played or so, not in relation to the original words.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

As far as someone who can compare the translation to the original dialogue, yes, Working Designs does generally do an excellent job. They have good people translating, and good people editing to get to a final product.

The only real misgivings are the occasional 'additions'. It's almost always useless NPC dialogue being replaced, and by useless I mean meaningless or repeated dialogue. The only time I don't like it is when there's something inappropriate inserted, like silly sexual innuendos, or immature bits. Alun I know knows just what I mean. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Which I still say that those "inappropraite" inserts where still hilliarus, and made Lunar fun for me :P I mean, would you have someone refer to the Magic Emporer as Micky Mouse?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I do believe that's happened here a time or two. ;)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I know :P That's where I got my idea from ;)

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

You're telling me you could do away with stuff like this?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yes, absolutely. :evil: That is definitely one of my most disliked "jokes" in the game.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

... I didn't get it until I reread it a couple of times. Wow.

I wonder what else I would find if I was paying more attention for it. >_<
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

I really don't think it detracts from the game play...and the NPC stuff is what makes Lunar so different for me.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I have to say that the silly stuff like that is part of what drew me in when I first played Lunar all those years ago. I remember being completely floored (in a good way) by the Jessica's comment in the town of Lann in TSS about every RPG having a useless drunk in it.

And one question to those who understand both languages. Do the Japanese versions of TSS and SSSC have the reference to the Dragon Diamond actually being Dragon droppings?

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Hmmm, I love that statement though. Then again, it could just be a male thing...

Oh, someone should do this poll on a final fantasy fan site, I bet the opposite is scores will occur :P

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

phyco126 wrote:Oh, someone should do this poll on a final fantasy fan site, I bet the opposite is scores will occur :P

Alright. YOU travel to those no-man's-lands first. I'll follow. I promise.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Just don't leave a trail back please. :P
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I don't speak the language, but I'm pretty sure Kiz would have mentioned if the Japanese TSS didn't. And since Legend's ridiculously literalminded translation had Quark referring to them as his turds, I rather think it's in the original. Myght's B.O. was a WD addition, another one I think was unnecessarily vulgar.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Oh no, not me. I won't have a new shipment of Friendship rings in for several months, and I'm sure as heck ain't going to waste them on those people. Someone else can do it. *nudges G1*

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

ilovemyguitar wrote:And one question to those who understand both languages. Do the Japanese versions of TSS and SSSC have the reference to the Dragon Diamond actually being Dragon droppings?

They do. I distinctly remember that from at least Lunar: Legend and Lunar: TSS. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)