Revolution's controller unveiled

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Revolution's controller unveiled

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Well, they finally unveiled the elusive Revolution controller at the Tokyo Game Show opening. At the other boards I visit, there've been positive and negative reactions, but it at least seems semi-cool to me. I'll need to see how it's ultimately implemented. Anyway, decide for yourselves:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651275p1.html

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=5546
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

It's too hard to judge without trying it from the looks of it. It looks like it would be akward at first, but really, I remember playing Super Mario Bros. my very first time when I was like 7 or 8. It took a bit of getting used to. In fact, it reminds me of the weird Intellivision controllers from years ago. Except super advantaced.

I think developers are going to have a field day with it. Or at least, they should. It looks like it may be a Revolution after all, but not in terms of graphics or sound or some virtual reality gimmicky crap. I think the whole revolution will be in terms of gameplay and control. It's a new style, but I think it's a style that could revolutionize how a game is played. Considering that graphics aren't going to improve near as much this generation as they did in previous generations. Should be interesting to see how this goes.

Edit - I just realized something. This thing has censors to tell where it's being moved, etc.. If the developers are crafty enough, they could design some really freakin' amazing stuff that lets you interact in an entirely new way. Imagine playing something like Zelda: Ocarana of Time, only being able to control the movements of your sword. The possibilities with this thing seem pretty damn impressive. I'm not sure people have let it sink in what can be done with this thing.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

...the functions look incredible, I will say. But, it looks like a remote, and will be interpreted as a remote. I'm sure they'll release a controller that fits into your hand more easily.

I still maintain that the original Saturn controller is the best. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Asmodean
Legendary Hero

Post by Asmodean »

It's a remote. And I don't like it. I can't help it. I just don't.

One thing I do like though. Dry Oatmeal straight from the lil' baggie!!

That's good. MMM.

Revolution Remote- No.
Dry Oatmeal- Yes.
ImageImageImage

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

The DS looked like a gimmick, was a gimmick, and proved all the people that said it's gimmick wouldn't sell wrong.

Plus, you can still plug 4 GameCube controllers into the thing.

IMO, this thing will force companies to stop rehasing the same damn thing every year, and do something innovative. At first glance, people are going to trash it. This is already being seen around the gaming public. But once people experience it, I think it's going to be something else.

It's going to force companies to catch the gameplay and control up with the graphics. And that's why I'm cool with this.
-G1

segaboy7
Red Dragon Priest

Post by segaboy7 »

argh I wish nintendo would drop consoles and just focus on handhelds, cus honestly the N64 or the GC had the majisty that the nes and snes had.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

GhaleonOne wrote:Edit - I just realized something. This thing has censors to tell where it's being moved, etc.. If the developers are crafty enough, they could design some really freakin' amazing stuff that lets you interact in an entirely new way. Imagine playing something like Zelda: Ocarana of Time, only being able to control the movements of your sword. The possibilities with this thing seem pretty damn impressive. I'm not sure people have let it sink in what can be done with this thing.

Not to mention that something as simple as conducting with the Wind Waker Baton would be much, much more enjoyable.

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

It should be noted that no matter Nintendo revealed, it would have been critisized. If they revealed that everybody who gets a Revolution gets $1000, people would still be trashing it. That's just the nature of the industry.
-Rich-

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Wow... that's something new in a console controller... ... ... I don't like the look :shock:

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

The thing I find most interesting is the expansion port at the bottom. Because of it, you could potentially plug the Revolution's controller into a custom-made controller from the game's developer. I mean, if they made a Dreamcast-esque controller, you could just slip the Revolution's controller into the area where the memory cards used to go and have a very traditional setup. I don't know how many people will be willing to invest in the creation of alternate controllers, but the idea of every game having the possibility to be different and completely streamline its format is exciting.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I like it. When I first saw it ... yes, it doesn't look traditional at all. It looks like a remote control, and it is, in the sense that it acts as a controller from a remote location. :P But really, it's a very graceful design. It's not often anyone can call a controller that. ;)

I'll reserve any more judgment on it until I try it. It depends heavily on what the game makers can do with it.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

SSSFan
Red Dragon Priest
Location: in front of my computer, above my keyboard, at the lunarnet forum, in my house etc. etc.

Post by SSSFan »

I don't like it. It looks like a remote, and I think it will function like a remote. I don't think it's easy to play with such a thing.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

SSSFan wrote:I don't like it. It looks like a remote, and I think it will function like a remote. I don't think it's easy to play with such a thing.

To play what? That's what I'm interested in seeing. The games that will come as a result of this ... of taking advantage of its tilt sensors and ability to plug up controller adaptions... it may well be easier to play the games that are made for it.

Form may ideally be adapted to function, but each form isn't always part of one single function.

And... one thing I am curious about... how will the batteries work? It'd make sense if there was a charge station by the console, but... anything definite about that?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm sure they'll figure something out for that. I don't see Nintendo not forseeing people complaining about battery life for the controllers and likely they have a solution. This is more of a mock design anyways, as far as I understood.

Thing is, people are complaining off the bat about the look and gimmick of the thing. People did the same about the DS. Went on and on about how it was going to be obliterated by the PSP. Never happened, and in fact, the DS is ahead worldwide. And the thing is, most all of the major developers have throw heavy support for the controller. Kojima/Konami had impressive statements, as have SquareEnix, UbiSoft, EA (they in fact, stated that they forsee some great uses for their sports titles. I hate EA, but their crap sells). There's a sizable list of very important developers that are happy with it. And for the developers that might not, it's not like they can't put their ports on the Revolution and just have gamers use the standard GameCube controller.

Again, this will force companies who are willing to take a new step beyond just graphically enhances and make some strides in the control and gameplay of games. I'm all for it.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I want one! I've had this hammer for ever with no chance to use it!

Well, without being able to try it, it looks awkard, retarded, stupid, and it just may work. However, I'm pretty sure it'll be alot harder to get used to using than any other controller out there (except the originally oversized Xbox controller, in which my hands couldn't fit :P)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I'm fine with it. I want to see what comes out of it, and I have confidence that we'll see some truly creative stuff. Not everything will use it well, of course, but it's interesting to see this go off in a totally different direction. And it sounds like it would be possible to adapt it into a regular controller for games/people who prefer that. Sort of how the DS is usable "plain" without the touchscreen and mic functionality, but the option is there.

That said, I worry about some of the obvious uses. I don't want to need massive coordination and control to play a Zelda game. I barely manage with my fingers; I don't need to force my arms to work and need the precision to simulate a sword slash (might be very tense, too). Although I did study conducting for a couple of years and was very good. I can certainly see potential for nongames that are more artistic, a la Electroplankton. It'd be neat to be gesturing and see colors swirl around or hear music change...add in the ability to record what you do and people could actually create and share artworks. Virtual Theremin!

Seems like this would handle the problem of playing DS games on the TV, too, by just holding a button to indicate contact and moving the thing around smoothly, as a mouse.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Regarding things like Zelda. If they do implement that, I'd hope they'd also make it an option to use the standard controller (and have the feeling they will).
-G1

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

What I'm really looking forward to is seeing how the success/failure of this console will affect the industry as a whole. If this thing takes off, and is successful, it will probably genuinely revolutionize console gaming. It'll put pressure on Sony and Microsoft (and whatever other companies decided to join the console war) to think of their own new and innovative methods of play. And then there's the question of whether the other companies will follow suit with something similar to the Revolution, or come up with something completely different that's new and revolutionary.

Ryonin
Student of Vane

Post by Ryonin »

If anything kilsl it, it'll probably be people whining about the power the system has in comparison, even though it doesn't make that big a difference, and the expectations on game companies for photorealistic graphics means the games take five hundred years to develop.

The controller seems fine to me. It might take some getting used to, and that port had better hold onto the expansions like a vice. I don't thinkt he controller itself is going to force change. Any company that's been rehashing the same things can still do so quite easily.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Here's a pretty interesting article about genre lifespans in general and the effects of innovation such as the controller:

http://www.lostgarden.com/2005/09/ninte ... ategy.html