Dragon Quest VIII

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by AlasdairPalemoon »

I actually put something like 120 hours on the game -.- I usually plow through RPGs, but I wanted to take my time with this one, explore every nook and cranny, talk to everyone, buy everything, etc., etc. I enjoyed the game a lot, despite how plain it was in many regards, but by the end I just got sick of playing it.

Double edged sword, I guess.

Dragonlord911
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonlord911 »

Okay... I have another problem. That Black Dog has gotten hold of the staff and just killed Marta the Healer and grew wings and flew to the East. I sailed East and came to the Savella Cathedral where the Lord High Priest lives... Bad part is that nothing is happening. They keep talking about a dark shadow they had seen the night of the New Moon. I don't know what I need to do now. I am sooo confused. Please help if you can. P.S. I got bored of waiting for somthing to happen so I got this Illuminated Sea Chart and went to the Godbird's island.
"I'll fight when needed, revel when there's occasion, mourn when there is grief, and die if my time comes... but I won't let anyone use me against my will."
Eragon

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

This part had me confused too. Honestly, it doesn't make much sense at all since it's obvious who he going after next. But anyway, you have to fly to some far off town (you can find the exact location from GameFAQs). Next you complete a small segment there which gives you an item you need before you can continue. And don't worry about going to the Godbird Island, you were supposed to do that first.

Dragonlord911
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonlord911 »

Thx alot. I have been pulling out my hair trying to figure this out. I have to go clean up. *Starts to pick up clumps of hair off of the floor.*
"I'll fight when needed, revel when there's occasion, mourn when there is grief, and die if my time comes... but I won't let anyone use me against my will."
Eragon

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

I <3 DQVIII. I'm about to go into the final stretch now; Spoiler, Highlight to Read*: I'm hunting for the Orbs. >_> I have to sit and stare at the Zoom list for 5 minutes at a time trying to remember where each of the Sages' heirs died. XD This has to be the most fun I've had with a game in a really long time.

I hate the accents, though. I mean some are okay, but nearly everyone having a british accent is giving me a bit of culture shock. I'm not british, so ALL of it being that way is a bit annoying.

I mean, I still haven't got a clue what Cor Blimey even means. . .

The only VAs I really like are Trode, Marcello and Yangus. (Minus the Cor Blimey, simply 'cause I don't know what he's saying. :P) Jessica's voice REALLY annoys me for some reason, and the rest are bareable I guess. Just bad acting in general, I think. Every other line I'm going "Hey, you put the emphases on the wrong part of the sentence, VA! >_<" I wish you could turn the voices off. I don't see why they even went through the trouble for the NA version - Voice Acting in DQ feels so weird. >__>

*Do we have spoiler tags here? Or at least a color that might work better? xP
- Mike

Dragonlord911
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonlord911 »

You have to admit the Cor Blimey pose that Yangus does is really funny. Anyway, he gets tired of it towards the end of the game. I am also trying to find the Orbs for the Staff that I got from the Godbird.
Eragon

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

I finally got in to DQ VIII.

As for how I'm playing...

Well, let's just say article 17 of the Trodian strategy guide says I'm way overleveled. What else is new? Heh heh.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

Ah yes Dragon Quest VIII. That was an awesome game. I especially liked how this game had an somewhat alternate ending. Not many RPGs do that. (Minus Star Ocean 3 which had a lot of endings.) And no I am not going to reveal what happens, you will just have to find out for yourself.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I really wasn't very impressed by the alternate ending. I loved the game, but I think the alternate ending should have been the real ending.[/i]

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

It was. The real ending requires the Argon Ring. It's also kinda nifty if you have the Hero in full Dragovian Gear for the final sequence. Ya know. Just for the whole 'embracing his heritage' thing.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Angelalex242 wrote:It was. The real ending requires the Argon Ring. It's also kinda nifty if you have the Hero in full Dragovian Gear for the final sequence. Ya know. Just for the whole 'embracing his heritage' thing.

Yeah, my point was that getting the ring should've been required for beating the game. It was stupid to watch one ending and then watch a second that was about 80% the same. It would be different if one ending were radically different from the other.

Texcap
Meribian Merchant

Post by Texcap »

Glad to see so many DQ fans -- Dragon Quest VIII, specifically, is easily one of my all-time favorite RPG's. 100+ hours in I actually have a boatload of stuff still left to do after beating the game initially. With all the additional content that was offered thereafter I've had to take a break in order to focus on some other games I'd like to complete before delving back into it (DQVIII is entertaining enough that I'd like to be able to take an unusually extended amount of time to experience the game).

On a related note, anyone else excited about the announcement of Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors for the Nintendo Wii, and for Dragon Quest Monsters -- Joker?

And to push my luck a little, Level-5 (the developers of DQVIII) release Rogue Galaxy in October and that looks fantastic, especially if you were impressed with their visuals in DQ...the U.S. even get's additional content to boot!

Fortiter -- Per Mare Per Terras!