Dragon Quest VIII

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Dragonlord911
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Dragon Quest VIII

Post by Dragonlord911 »

Dragon Quest VIII is a awesome RPG. 8) I haven't beat it yet, but it still rules. It is a mixture of Final Fantasy X battle scenarios, Dragon Ball Z graphics, and Lunar gameplay. :twisted: I think it is a must own, rent, or borrow from you game friend. :lol: Whatever.

( p.s. for anyone who has fought Dhoulmagus the very first battle encounter and won. What level were you when you fought him.)

Please help if you can.
"I'll fight when needed, revel when there's occasion, mourn when there is grief, and die if my time comes... but I won't let anyone use me against my will."
Eragon

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Moved to General Gaming. You had it in the wrong board.
-G1

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

I played the Dragon Quest VIII demo and came away with mixed feelings about the game.

On the one hand, I really liked the way the developers handled the world map. Because it was done to scale and was largely open ended (i.e. it did not constrain the player to a largely linear path) the sense of exploration and immersion in the game's world was generally fantastic. I found this to work much better than a traditional RPG overworld.

On the other hand, the rest of the game seemed determined to undermine all of this through its insistence on using the same boring gameplay mechanics that the series (and far too many other RPGs) has used for years and years now. The first big problem is the inclusion of random battles. I'm not a fan of random battles in general, but it's especially problematic in DQVIII. Here you have this wonderful, expansive world to explore and then all of a sudden you take a step and you're dragged off to this separate screen to fight. It completely breaks the immersion. Speaking of the battles, they're really uninteresting. I've grown tired of the basic turn based battle system, particularily since I've played so many RPGs with better battle systems by now. Simply put, the system isn't strategically interesting enough to keep me entertained.

In the end, I found that, for me, the bad in the demo outweighed the good, particularily considering that I've never been much of a fan of the Dragon Quest series. As a result, I decided against purchasing the game.

Asmodean
Legendary Hero

Re: Dragon Quest VIII

Post by Asmodean »

Dragonlord911 wrote:( p.s. for anyone who has fought Dhoulmagus the very first battle encounter and won. What level were you when you fought him.)

Are you talkin' about when you encounter him in that Shrine to the Dark God? And if so, are you talkin' about the various forms and what not?

Cause I did. He was uber-easy. Although the thing of it is, I don't really remember what level I was on, I can that my Jessica's Stave points was in the Eighties. Which allowed her to regenerate her magic points and what saved my butt. I also know that I acquired MultiHeal AFTER that battle for Angelo... which would have done me a world of good FOR that battle.

I love this game by the way. British Accents all around!!

:: swoons ::
ImageImageImage

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I beat it at level 30, so Angelo had Multi-Heal. I also had Omni-heal with the hero. I had trouble at first but by level 30 it's pretty easy.

Edit: Meant Dhoulmagus. Beat the whole game at 39.

Jyd3n
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jyd3n »

I love this game, the monster arena by itself is adddicting as hell. I just wish the main character, you, talked...it's weird when the king talks to him and pretends he says something.

Dragonlord911
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonlord911 »

Whenever you fight him when he is healing in that heart-shaped waterball thing. He starts out by splitting into 3 of them. I am fighting him at 28 on everyone. No wonder I can't beat him. I don't even have Omni-heal. Thx alot.
"I'll fight when needed, revel when there's occasion, mourn when there is grief, and die if my time comes... but I won't let anyone use me against my will."
Eragon

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Dragonlord911 wrote:Whenever you fight him when he is healing in that heart-shaped waterball thing. He starts out by splitting into 3 of them. I am fighting him at 28 on everyone. No wonder I can't beat him. I don't even have Omni-heal. Thx alot.

Well, you don't really need Omni-Heal. It helps, but you should be fine with Angelo's Mid-Heal which he learns at 30. I actually learned Omni-Heal first though because I mostly put poing into Courage.

Dragonlord911
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonlord911 »

Do you mean Multi-Heal. Angelo learns Mid-Heal waaayyyyy before level 30. Any way, thanks alot for the help. I need to go level up ALOT. Any tips on where to level up.

Oh, when I went to Neos, Merchello was there. Then he was at the Lord High Priest's house. I have no idea what is happening. Ahhhhhh, it is sooooo confusing.
Eragon

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Dragonlord911 wrote:Do you mean Multi-Heal. Angelo learns Mid-Heal waaayyyyy before level 30. Any way, thanks alot for the help. I need to go level up ALOT. Any tips on where to level up.

Yes, I meant Multi-heal... I said it right in my first post.

But anyway, you don't need to level up that much. I finished the game at level 40ish.

And then I (sorta spoiler ahead)

beat the epilogue sans the Dragovian Trial at the same levels. If any mod would like to turn that into a spoiler tag, I'd be much obliged. I kinda forget at the moment. :oops:

Asmodean
Legendary Hero

Post by Asmodean »

Dragonlord911 wrote:Whenever you fight him when he is healing in that heart-shaped waterball thing. He starts out by splitting into 3 of them. I am fighting him at 28 on everyone. No wonder I can't beat him. I don't even have Omni-heal. Thx alot.

Actually considerin' Angelo acquired Multi-heal AFTER that battle for me, then I was around 28/29. So you should really have ANY problem at all. Just remember to boost your defense and speed. Have Asmodean ( Main Character ) Use his sword skills, Yangus use his Helm Splitter, Jessica cast KaFrizzle? The one person fire spell, and heal every other turn. Then have your main character heal when necessary. And make sure to always focus on ONE enemy at a time, except when he summons the shadow guys. Leave one on each side of him and they won't regenerate.
ImageImageImage

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

I love those spells!
Kafrizzle :lol:
Fashizzle :lol:
Hizzle my nizzle, yall. :lol:
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

Asmodean
Legendary Hero

Post by Asmodean »

NextGenerationLunarFan wrote:I love those spells!
Kafrizzle :lol:
Fashizzle :lol:
Hizzle my nizzle, yall. :lol:

:: cringes at the very sight of this post ::
...can't... stand... Snoop...
ImageImageImage

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Asmodean wrote::: cringes at the very sight of this post ::

In our DnD group, we've decided that Fharlnagn (god of travel) is played by Snoop Dogg. So whenever I cast a teleport spell, the chant is: "Yo Fharlizzle, fo shizzle, you knowin' where I'm goin', and I knowin' you down wit' that. So hook me up dawg." KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Dunkleheit
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dunkleheit »

I should beat over the head with a quarterstaff for that... but I don't have one.

Asmodean
Legendary Hero

Post by Asmodean »

Kizyr wrote:
Asmodean wrote::: cringes at the very sight of this post ::

In our DnD group, we've decided that Fharlnagn (god of travel) is played by Snoop Dogg. So whenever I cast a teleport spell, the chant is: "Yo Fharlizzle, fo shizzle, you knowin' where I'm goin', and I knowin' you down wit' that. So hook me up dawg." KF

:: can not believe he read that entire post ::

must... kill... self...

X.x
ImageImageImage

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

:lol: I will try to comit that to memory and use it in Warhammer 40,000. :lol:
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

Dragonlord911
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonlord911 »

So will I. Kasizzle.
Eragon

Asmodean
Legendary Hero

Post by Asmodean »

I dislike all of you more and more.... SO ABOUT THAT GAME?!

I like the accents... they make me happy.
ImageImageImage

Dragonlord911
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonlord911 »

British all the way. I love it. Cheerio.
Eragon