Game Soundtracks

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
PurifyWeirdSoul
Lostest Boy
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Game Soundtracks

Post by PurifyWeirdSoul »

I know someone living overseas who can get a hold of some games, game/anime soundtracks. Can anyone recommend some import merchandise?

Here's what I have so far:

-Guilty Gear X2#Reload Japanese soundtrack
-Guilty Gear X2#Reload Korean Soundtrack
-Valkyrie Profile Original Soundtrack
-Valkyrie Profile Arrange Soundtrack
-Noir Original Soundtrack 1
-Noir Original Soundtrack 2
-Noir blanc dans Noir
-R.O.D TV Original Soundtrack
-Ah! Megami Sama Movie Soundtrack

Here's what I want:

-Einhander Soundtrack
-Valkyrie Profile Voice Mix Arrange
-Ridge Racer Type 4 Soundtrack
-Star Ocean soundtracks
-Akumajo Dracula X Soundtrack

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It would help a little to know what sort of thing you like. I mean, I have a bunch of game soundtracks and some of them get a lot of use, but that's usually (though not always) games I've actually played. So I'd expect you to favor soundtracks to things you're familiar with as well. Also, are we talking new/current only, or used/out of print as well? Most of my favorites are out of print and pretty expensive now.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Not to mention, out-of-print soundtracks are very hard to find, unless they're for exceedingly popular games (Chrono Trigger, FF, DW, and Tales--even Tales might be hard to find). Soundtracks also are less likely to drop greatly in price when they're used. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

BraveKing
Lostest Boy

Post by BraveKing »

link removed due to legal.....stuff

here ya go
Last edited by BraveKing on Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Good grief, that site sounds hypocritical. The Legal Info part talks about just making game media available, but they have mp3s from actual published soundtracks, not just in-game music, and what looks to be complete scanned artbooks. Bad. And I seem to recall Square did ask them to remove content (which is why there are no FF tracks on a site named for an FF location), so the legal notice needs updating too.

Actually, the link should probably be removed thereby. And don't you get the idea that some people prefer to own legal original copies of things rather than just scans and mp3s?

BraveKing
Lostest Boy

Post by BraveKing »

ummmmmmmmmmm.....sorry then...I guess

PurifyWeirdSoul
Lostest Boy

Alunissage wrote:It would help a little to know what sort of thing you like. I mean, I have a bunch of game soundtracks and some of them get a lot of use, but that's usually (though not always) games I've actually played. So I'd expect you to favor soundtracks to things you're familiar with as well. Also, are we talking new/current only, or used/out of print as well? Most of my favorites are out of print and pretty expensive now.

I don't have a preference really to what genre of game music or music really. Good music is good music. The only thing I can't stand is Rap. I'm always looking for out-of print and used stuff and while the prices can be steep, I'm willing to shell out some coin when it comes to hard to find games/music.

What would be your top ten most favoirte soundtracks? Or if it's too difficult to decide, top 3. I'm just looking for some recommendations. Other than ebay, I don't have many chances to buy import music. And of course buying from online retailers are ridiculously expensive.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Well, I just have a hard time being objective, I guess. It's easy for me to like stuff because I like things associated with it, and most music I start liking a lot if I play it a lot.

Here's what I listen to most which is likely to be accessible to someone who hasn't played the games:

Arranged
Symphony Ys '95 (not to be confused with Symphony Ys, which is quite inferior to it)
Very Best of Ys
Final Fantasy Potion
Zelda Sound and Drama
Hyrule Symphony
Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec (several duplicates with Potion and the game OST, though)
Mario and Zelda Big Band Concert (if you like this sort of thing)

OSTs
The Legaia
Arc The Lad I+II Complete Soundtrack
Arc the Lad Seirei no Tasogare OST
Zelda The Music - still current, so if you want a sampling of Zelda go here

There are lots more I have and enjoy -- Chrono Trigger OST, Alundra OST, etc. -- but I was trying to keep it short. (I can give you a full list if you really want it.) I will now entirely contradict that by pasting a lengthy post I made in another forum, which was more about individual tracks.

I wrote:Off the top of my head...these are all from CDs I own (as opposed to music I've only heard in-game)

Favorite overall in-game music: Lunar TSS, hands down. Runner-up: Legend of Zelda.

Individual in-game tracks:
Arc IV battle and event battle (tracks 3 and 5 on the OST) and what's probably the final dungeon (3rd track from the end)
Lunar EB Star Dragon theme & Caldor Isle (?)
Several in DKC 1-3 whose names I don't recall
Super Metroid Brinstar, credits
Ocarina of Time Deku Tree, Spirit Temple, Ganondorf's pipe organ, and final battle
Arc II credits
FF8 some dungeon theme (track 6 on OST disc 1, bought the whole thing for this)
Chrono Trigger Frog's Theme, Middle Ages overworld, probably others
Lunar TSS temple theme
Lunar SSSC Dark Goddess (fortress raising)

Vocal song I like most: Ys Endless History (The Morning Grow)
Vocal song that makes me want to rip my own ears off: Eyes on Me

Best Engrish: Arc III Way to the Earth
Worst Engrish: Eyes on Me (why I want to rip my ears off)

Soundtrack CDs I play the most often while driving:
The Legaia
Zelda Sound & Drama disc 1
Ys Symphony '95
Very Best of Ys
Arc IV
Arc II

Favorite arranged tracks:
Hyrule Symphony - Goron City & Gerudo Fortress, ocarina medley, game theme medley
Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec - some overworld theme
Zelda Sound & Drama - dungeon
FF Potion - Aeris's theme, Terra's theme, Dear Friends
Very Best of Ys - tracks 1 and 11
all of Ys Symphony '95 (*not* Ys Symphony)
I'd have more Ys tracks listed here if I could remember which of the other six or seven Ys discs around here they're on.

Games I most wish I had soundtracks for: all GB Zeldas. Why are these overlooked??? Runner-up: Four Swords Adventures. A handful of tracks on the Zelda The Music CD is insufficient.

Soundtrack I most want to find but keep forgetting to look for: Albert Odyssey
OST I've listened to the most without ever playing the game at all: FF Tactics

PurifyWeirdSoul
Lostest Boy

Thanks for the reply. I'll be looking around the web for those tracks (if I can find any). Of course I plan on buying whatever I happen to like. I'd just like to sample some stuff before I take a plunge into buying something.