Lunar on the Revolution?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by phyco126 »

I'm sure that the sales of each would have ended up a bit higher if WD did pull them from the shelf. I remember my mom was going to get me SSSC for christmas, but she couldn't find it. Come to find out the games where no longer sold like, 2 weeks before she went to get it (bad timing huh?) So imagine all the sales that they might have gotten if they waited even a couple of months.

As for EBC, I bought it like, the third day it hit the shelves. I still have the reciept for it too :D

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

Except in rare cases, games do the vast majority of their sales in the first few months. I don't have access to any of the monthly data for SSSC, so I can't say for sure whether it fit into that pattern, but assuming G1's statement about the preorders is correct, I'd say it probably did.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Huh? Sales ceased on Jan 1, 2000. I have the ad in front of me.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Seriously Alunissage? I thought they where ceased a month or two before that... huh... maybe Walmart just stopped carrying them when my mom went to get it...

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, really. Actually, that was the very first thing I saw on WD's site (which I think was only the third I'd ever visited at that point): the front-page announcement "Say Goodbye to Lunar..." It was announced before then, of course. But it was still in stores for a while; they just didn't get new stock.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, I think I know what happened. See I didn't have the internet at that point, so when I finally saw it online was when I got back online either at school or the libary. So by that time, it was probably after the new year. So when I read it, I figured the sales probably stopped before the new year, not after it. So yeah, I probably just assumed a date it was on (I do that sometimes.)

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

GhaleonOne wrote:http://www.the-magicbox.com/Chart-USPlatinum.shtml

SSSC - 223k
EBC - 170k

For as much as SSSC, EBC deserves a great deal of credit. Sequels rarely outsell the first game, and considering it was released much later in the PSOne's life, that's a good figure. Both held their own quite well.

Better marketing for EBC. The really dark ads with glowing eyes = win!
-Rich-

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

The best marketing was still for the Sega CD EB. Or rather, the best ads. I know a lot of people first saw those ads and had no clue there was a second Lunar, and flipped out. The artwork in the ads was what I loved. (This one) It still remained kind of dark and mysterious like the artwork in TSS did. And almost told a story in it. Plus, the tag line has been used over and over in Lunar fandom:

In the Darkest Hour,
Hope Springs Eternal

Just too bad EB lost WD money, but that's the fault of the death of the Sega CD.
-G1

Katze
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Katze »

Oh, I hope that I'll be able to play the first two Lunar games on the Revolution...I've always wanted to, but I don't own a Sega CD and I don't want to use...illegal means of obtaining them (I don't even know how anyway).

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I think most folks here would be fine helping you to emulate the system itself. Occasionally, the original CDs will show up on eBay as well; I'd suggest getting them if at all possible. TSS works fine via emulation, but I haven't tried my EB disc (Mega CD or Sega CD) yet. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

EB works on an emulator. That's how I took screens of it for the site. I think at one time it glitched on the first Sega CD emulator, but that's long since been fixed.

And TSS and EB show up on Ebay quite often still.
-G1