It was inevitable

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Hirohiigo Togashi
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

It was inevitable

Post by Hirohiigo Togashi »

Sony took Nintendo's motion sensitivity idea, and is calling it their own idea. I always knew it was gonna happen, but I had at least a little hope that Sony would have a little dignity.

Blah. Makes me proud to be a Nintendo fanboy.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Re: It was inevitable

Post by Werefrog »

Hirohiigo Togashi wrote:Sony took Nintendo's motion sensitivity idea, and is calling it their own idea. I always knew it was gonna happen, but I had at least a little hope that Sony would have a little dignity.

Is there an article about it?

Hirohiigo Togashi
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Hirohiigo Togashi »

Oh yeah, an article. Forgot the article in my angstiness. >_>

<a href="http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/08/the-real-playstation-3-controller-revealed/">Here ya go.</a>

Katze
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Katze »

I watched the PS3 press conference. It sucked, and the part about the controller didn't help at all.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Yep... that does indeed appear to suck. They won't be able to copy Nintendo's games. I can't wait to play Twilight Princess with the Wii controller (There was an article about it in time magazine).

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

That's ridiculous. I see why Nintendo waited to reveal the controller now. And 500 f'in bucks for the system is too much. 400 for the Xbox360 was ridiculous, but 500 for the 20GB system is too much for a gaming system. 600 if you want the 60GB system. Should be interesting to see what the Wii will launch at. If they can pull a 300 or less, it'll be the only launch system I'll even consider. 300+ for a console is too much. I don't care who you are.

Oh, and launch title Dragon Quest for the Wii? Kiss your dominance of the Japanese console market goodbye Sony.
-G1

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I don't think it's all bad. I mean, if they're taking Nintendo's ideas, they might actually be good.

... though as someone pointed out in the comments on that page, it appears that the PS3 controller will be limited to only a few directions.

I'm glad they didn't mess up the basic design, though. It does work well, even if it's not really ingenius or innovative or... right. ^^;;;
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

I don't really see this controller having much impact on the Wii, seeing as it doesn't really match the functionality of the Wii's controller (e.g. it's still two handed).

I'm not sure the Wii Dragon Quest title will necessarily impact the PS3 all that much since it's my understanding that it's a spinoff and not part of the main series.

The price for the PS3 just seems incredibly ridiculous to me. It's certainly more than I'm willing to pay for a console, and I'm hardly the only person to think that way. Advanced technology or not, this is reminiscent of the 3DO.
Last edited by Imperial Knight on Tue May 09, 2006 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Re: It was inevitable

Post by phyco126 »

Hirohiigo Togashi wrote:Sony took Nintendo's motion sensitivity idea, and is calling it their own idea. I always knew it was gonna happen, but I had at least a little hope that Sony would have a little dignity.

Eh, that's nothing new. Might as well as say that Nintendo took Sony's Playstation discs and copied it and called it their own so they could have their own disk gamesystem. *shrug*

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Eh, that's nothing new. Might as well as say that Nintendo took Sony's Playstation discs and copied it and called it their own so they could have their own disk gamesystem. *shrug*

Oh, you mean discs that the Sega CD, Saturn, Turbo Grafx CD, Phillips CDi, Neo Geo CD, and 3D0 all used before the Playstation? And that's the ones I can think of off my head. No offense, but acting as if Sony "invented" the console based CD system is ridiculous. There's a big difference in the technology. I personally don't see it as a big deal that Sony tried to implement it (even if it is a blatant rip-off), and honestly expected it, but your comparison is way off.

For that matter, the Playstation was originally thought to be a CD-based add-on for the Super Nintendo that was a joint-project between Nintendo and Sony. It's not like CD-based systems were invented by Sony. Far from it.

And my problem with the PS3 is still the price point. I don't care how much these Blue-Ray things are going to cost. $500 for a game system is too much. So is $400. $300 is even pushing it IMO.
-G1

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Additional article:
http://www.gamesarefun.com/userblog.php?id=394

It's Rich (drumlord)'s views on this, and I think I pretty much whole-heartily agree. The biggest problem I still have is 600 bucks for a "real" PS3. This may be the first console generation that I don't bother even considering multiple systems.
-G1

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

I think everyone is blowing this way out of proportion.

Take everything everyone has said...and...

Who cares?

So the PS3 current price is high. So? Don't buy it.

Personally, I wasn't going to buy a PS3 at launch because launch libraries always suck butt, and I don't feel like going through a year of just having a pretty paper weight in front of my TV. In the end, it will be the first next gen console I buy, because the past shows that Sony puts out a better library of games. Granted, in this new era, things will be cross platform, but there will probably still be more RPGs on the PS3 than the 360 or Wiiiiiiiiii, and I go where the RPGs are. Always have, always will.

In the end, Sony will take a nice hit in their profit margin due to the mistake of over pricing. They'll correct it, or distributers will by the second launch wave, and that's when I, and probably others who wanted to wait, will make their purchases and be pleased as punch.

And so you don't like Sony or their business practices? Don't support them. No one is telling you that you have to buy a PS3 or a 360.

But come on, let's curb the fanboy/fangirl rants and act like adults here. Let's not get all rabidy fanboy or fangirl and get all frothy because "The Evil Empire" of Sony is doing this, or the "sneaky monopolizing" Microsoft is doing to the innocent "innovative" Nintendo who only wants to please their fanbase (yeah I know that's a shot at Nintendo, but that's my only one...I swear :wink:).

It's big business, and everything is fair game, because these people are out to make money. If you were that high up in their corporate food chain, where you were making these decisions, you'd do the exact same thing to try and make the best profit you can.
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

Roas Atrades wrote:I think everyone is blowing this way out of proportion.

Some people are blowing this out of proportion but I hardly think it's everyone. In fact, I'd say most of the people who have posted in this topic have been pretty reasonable.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Imperial Knight wrote:Some people are blowing this out of proportion but I hardly think it's everyone. In fact, I'd say most of the people who have posted in this topic have been pretty reasonable.

I was being general. By everyone, I was not containing that to just this board. We all know ppl are complaining all over the net's forums.
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Roas Atrades wrote:
Imperial Knight wrote:Some people are blowing this out of proportion but I hardly think it's everyone. In fact, I'd say most of the people who have posted in this topic have been pretty reasonable.

I was being general. By everyone, I was not containing that to just this board. We all know ppl are complaining all over the net's forums.

Regardless, it seems rather silly to make a post saying that people are blowing things way out of proportion (particularly with statements like "let's behave like adults here"), on a forum where that statement applies to no one.

In any case, price is a huge factor in it, and price at launch can be a make-or-break thing for the PS3's success. Saying that you won't spend $600 for a console and so will skip the PS3 altogether is entirely reasonable; I fail to see how it's blowing things out of proportion. This is talk about how a lot of people passing on the PS3 because of its unreasonable price will force it to take a huge hit.

Moreover, a high launch price can skew the perception folks have of the system at launch of it being overpriced and overrated. That can kill it later on, even if they do drop the price down to a more reasonable $300 (or $200, in my case). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I'm pretty sure we all really know what game Sony's playing here. It's the same thing they did with the the Playstation 2 and the original Playstation. They're releasing an over-blown Playstation 3 with a massive price tag on it, and in a couple years they're going to release a slim PS3 at a cheaper price.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

G1, I know all about the history or the playstation, as well as having the knowledge of CD consoles who have come before it. I was just trying to make a point. So what if Sony decides to say "Wow, they have motion sensors in Wii's controllers, we should probably try to match their technology to beat out their system." It's marketing and competition, I don't know a company who wouldn't do that. It's not like Sony sent in someone to work at Nintendo just to steal a prototype controller for the technology. Or did they? Dun dun dun....

As for the price tag, $600 is way to much. I'm sorry, but I'll stick to buying computers. If I ever get back on my feet financally, the newest PS2 and PSP will be the last systems I'll be getting for a while (as it is, the Xbox is the last system I bought over 2 years ago.)

Ilovemyguitar, I understand the point you are trying to make, but the official market price of the PS2 wasn't anywhere near $600, nor was the old school PS. Also, the slimer PS and PS2 came about only after the next generation of consoles came out and technology improved to make the systems smaller.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Ilovemyguitar, I understand the point you are trying to make, but the official market price of the PS2 wasn't anywhere near $600, nor was the old school PS. Also, the slimer PS and PS2 came about only after the next generation of consoles came out and technology improved to make the systems smaller.

Phyco's right. The original PS2 was $300 at launch. I got one, though I wish I had waited. I might not have had to buy a second one later due to launch hardware issues.

And Roas, I have to agree with Kiz. In addition, complaints of the price certainly are worthwhile. Many Sony fans are being left in the cold because of it. It's not some Nintendo "fanboy" complaint. Your comment of "Who cares?" doesn't hold much merit, because obviously a LOT of people care, considering the complaints going around. It's legit, and something Sony better hope doesn't really make them stumble and loose their dominance. It has little to do with them "stealing" Nintendo's new idea. I think everyone figured it would happen sooner rather than later anyways. It's the price point that's the problem here. I will be interested to see what Nintendo's price point is at their conference today.

I think Ilovemyguitar is right though. They will likely make a new model 2-3 years later for cheaper, but that's way after the console wars were won or lost in the last two generations. Kiz's point that it'll likely be too late after launch is quite valid.
-G1

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

GhaleonOne wrote:300+ for a console is too much. I don't care who you are.

Sheeeeze. That's going to be ridiculous in Canada, especially since they usually jack the price up a bit anyway.

Although, I don't really care about them 'ripping off' the wii. It makes sense to me, they're simply using innovative technology that they feel will help their business. Perhaps I'm missing the point, but I don't see the problem with that.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Either way, both systems have a very cool innovative feature. I'm more concerned with how developers use the motion sensor. When the NDS came out there was a lot of talk that it was a gimmick and would go the way of the Visualboy. Games like Trauma Center, Feel the Magic, Warioware Touched, and Kirby's Canvas Curse give it a huge advantage over the competition (in this case the PSP) because games like that just aren't possible without the system's features. It's not like the 90's when most third party titles were released for SNES and Genesis. I would imagine that innovative features on a system would make it more appealing to developers becasuse there's more potential to create something new and exciting (innovative!) After seeing what the NDS can do to their product in the handheld market, I'm sure Sony wants to make sure their new console can do whatever the Wii can. The best thing the PSP can do that the NDS can't is play media. I own a GBA movie player that lets me do everthing a PSP can do on either my GBA or NDS, and it only cost $30. At the end of the day, I'm just glad that the next gen won't be just a more powerful version of the current.

...and while I'm here, after the "Ultra 64" and the "Dolphin" is it just me, or is this the first time Nintendo's second working title is worse than the first?