Wii preorders...

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Wii preorders...

Post by GhaleonOne »

Anyone know a place taking preorders? Just wanting to make sure I get mine at launch. I know lots of places aren't taking them due to lack of release date and price, but new Zelda and new Mario makes me want one. If anyone preorders one, let me know where/when. I want to get my name down before launch supplies are gone.
-G1

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I don't know of any places taking preorders yet. I think the big franchises are waiting for pricing details. I personally can't wait until the day I can preorder.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Sorry mate, I just checked Best buy, EBgames, Walmart, and Circuit City. None of them have the Wii for pre-order, so I doubt any other company would at this point either.

However, I did notice the Wii DOES have a non-remote controller, that looks like it was the offspring of a PS controller and a SNES controller. Looks nice, I guess there is hope after all. :)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

That's my understanding, is that noone seems to be taking preorders yet. Another factor, according to the EBGames guy, was that they weren't taking any until they know how many they'll be alloted. Makes sense. I'm going to throw another 200 in savings next payday to have it ready to preorder. This isn't a bad gameplan by Nintendo though. Pricewise, they don't even have to compete with Sony or Microsoft. They can basically say "Hey, you can own a Wii and another system, because we're not charging $400-600 for a system."

However, I did notice the Wii DOES have a non-remote controller, that looks like it was the offspring of a PS controller and a SNES controller. Looks nice, I guess there is hope after all. Smile

That's been known for quite some time. As far as I understand, all games will be playable using the traditional-style controller. But I'm not sure why you wouldn't at least want to try playing games like Zelda and Mario with the Wii-mote if it ends up working as well as many hope.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well a remote style controller seems awefully uncomfortable, if they are anything like regular remotes. That's why I don't like it, but my opinion can change. I didn't know of the controller though until now, as I usually don't keep up with game stuff, and no one ever mentioned it here (if they did, then I missed it.)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

I haven't heard of any place taking pre-orders for the wii yet, I guess stores are waiting for a price and a release date. Speaking of pre-orders, can you pre-order PS3 at this time? Just curious, I'm not about to shell out 600 since there won't be that many games out upon it's release. I will probably get it a year or two afterwards.

Diz
Reza Thief

Post by Diz »

My locAL gamestop takes pre-orders on games once they are announced so i assume since its a chain every gamestop should so try there

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

phyco126 wrote:However, I did notice the Wii DOES have a non-remote controller, that looks like it was the offspring of a PS controller and a SNES controller. Looks nice, I guess there is hope after all. :)

That's the classic controller meant for playing games you downloaded for previous systems.

AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AlasdairPalemoon »

Part of me is really tempted to put away some money for the system, but I'm trying to stay by my rule of not buying systems when they first come out. I have a number of reasons, including price, game list, time to see if any technical issues would arise with early models...

...but I want to play that Zelda. I know I can get it for GC, but I'm likely going to get a Wii anyway and I understand the Wii version won't work on a GC.

*taps knuckles to forehead* Think think, think think...

But no, I haven't heard of any place taking pre-orders yet.

Diz
Reza Thief

Post by Diz »

Did you check the gamestop / EB games yet?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

They don't do preorders yet because the details haven't been announced yet.

Next week it'll likely be announced at TGS, and stores like EB and GameStop will likely decide on preorder stuff soon after that.

Looks like the big press conference in the 14th (Thursday) which works out perfectly. I get paid Wednesday. Hopefully EB and GameStop announce preorder deals and such ASAP. I don't even mind a bundle as long as it comes with Zelda.
-G1

Hirohiigo Togashi
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Hirohiigo Togashi »

I hear Nintendo isn't condoning pre-orders because they "promise there will be a Wii for everyone".

Diz
Reza Thief

Post by Diz »

4million by the end of the year means they get made fast. I dont think there will be a REAL shortage but maybe an minor one but nothing compared the what the ps3 is gonna face

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Does anyone remember what Sony said about the amount of PS3s by the end of the year? I know Nintendo is expecting 4 million Wii's. And I know Sony said half a million PS3s at launch (with 400k of those coming here to NA, and the other 100k going to Japan). I think they said 2 million by years end, and I remember reading a lot of folks comments that they're completely unrealistic. But then, 4 million Wii's is a large number. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out and which company delivers on those numbers.

Edit - Assuming this news is true...

http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/?v=news&p=5020

Piss on EB Games and GameStop. Forcing customers to trade in 50 bucks worth of games and systems to preorder is a bunch of -Dung Beetle-. I know they make most of their money on used stuff, but that's just ridiculous. Or rather, it's highway robbery. Considering the concept is "Trade 3 games in for 10 bucks" still, that's 15 games you have to give up just to get 50 bucks off your PS3 or Wii preorder and be first on the list. Granted, EB Games/GameStop haven't announced this yet, but it's all over the place apparently. I've seen it at probably 5-6 other places now. If it holds out to be true, I won't be preordering at GameStop or EB. I'll be looking to Best Buy or WalMart or something.
-G1

AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AlasdairPalemoon »

GhaleonOne wrote:Piss on EB Games and GameStop. Forcing customers to trade in 50 bucks worth of games and systems to preorder is a bunch of -Dung Beetle-. I know they make most of their money on used stuff, but that's just ridiculous. Or rather, it's highway robbery. Considering the concept is "Trade 3 games in for 10 bucks" still, that's 15 games you have to give up just to get 50 bucks off your PS3 or Wii preorder and be first on the list. Granted, EB Games/GameStop haven't announced this yet, but it's all over the place apparently. I've seen it at probably 5-6 other places now. If it holds out to be true, I won't be preordering at GameStop or EB. I'll be looking to Best Buy or WalMart or something.

I think I'll just wait, myself. Not only do you have to do that, it's only a week they're taking preorders and there's no guarantee you'll get it when it first comes out? Yeesh, I'd rather just wait until the rush to get the system dies down.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Hirohiigo Togashi wrote:I hear Nintendo isn't condoning pre-orders because they "promise there will be a Wii for everyone".

Some of us live in small places and also don't have cars. Some of us simply have a Wal*Mart nearby that isn't even open 24 hours and isn't a supercenter. This particular someone is me.

If i anticipate a serious rush i'll be there before opening and i'll also buy a can of Raid to spray in the faces of those who may want to be violent idiots like some of the people who went after people who bought X-Box 360's. That isn't just a nasty taste...that's a call to Poison Control.

GhaleonOne wrote:Does anyone remember what Sony said about the amount of PS3s by the end of the year? I know Nintendo is expecting 4 million Wii's. And I know Sony said half a million PS3s at launch (with 400k of those coming here to NA, and the other 100k going to Japan). I think they said 2 million by years end, and I remember reading a lot of folks comments that they're completely unrealistic. But then, 4 million Wii's is a large number. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out and which company delivers on those numbers.

Edit - Assuming this news is true...

Piss on EB Games and GameStop. Forcing customers to trade in 50 bucks worth of games and systems to preorder is a bunch of -Dung Beetle-. I know they make most of their money on used stuff, but that's just ridiculous. Or rather, it's highway robbery. Considering the concept is "Trade 3 games in for 10 bucks" still, that's 15 games you have to give up just to get 50 bucks off your PS3 or Wii preorder and be first on the list. Granted, EB Games/GameStop haven't announced this yet, but it's all over the place apparently. I've seen it at probably 5-6 other places now. If it holds out to be true, I won't be preordering at GameStop or EB. I'll be looking to Best Buy or WalMart or something.

Agreed! They're like the Deku Scrubs! "Want to buy a deku stick? It's only a kajillion rupees!"

Hirohiigo Togashi
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Hirohiigo Togashi »

GhaleonOne wrote:Edit - Assuming this news is true...

http://gonintendo.com/?p=5689

The Gamestop/EBGames limitations are only affecting Hawaii and Guam, as a test to see if that pre-order system will work. It won't affect the rest of the States.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, I saw that on RPGFan's similiar thread just a few minutes ago. That's a relief. I really don't feel like standing in line at WalMart or Best Buy for four hours to get a system. Hopefully they announce full preorders soon.
-G1

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

If there's a good bundle announced online on one of the websites, I'll just say screw it and let the console come to me. I know part of the fun is picking it up on the first day, but I think I'm getting a bit too old for that. I loved picking up my GC at launch when I was a freshman in high school, but I don't know. Waiting in line for a Wal-Mart to open has kinda lost its lustre now that a few years have passed.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

They're 24 hour around here, so it would just be waiting a few hours until midnight. But still, I kind of agree. I can wait a few days.
-G1