Wii preorders start Friday

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Wii preorders start Friday

Post by GhaleonOne »

I know there's a few others interested. EBGames and GameStop will start taking them Friday morning. At least according to http://www.thewiire.com/news/513/1/Game ... gin_Oct_13 I called to confirm. One store didn't know, but the other confirmed Friday morning. I sure hope they have more available than the PS3 did yesterday. They only took 8 preorders at most of the stores around here and sold out in 5 minutes. I can't get off work for that, and my brother has a test from 9-10. The stores open at 10. I know people will camp out probably. I may just have to hold out and sit in line at WalMart on the release night.
-G1

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

If I walk quickly, I can get there by 10:30. There is an EB and a Gamestop at the local mall. Hopefully, one of them will have it at that time. If not, I'll just deal with one of the online bundles or try Amazon. Amazon is a good option for me because the whole no tax thing. Also, I'm pretty sure their warehouse is at most 100 miles from my house (but in another state, so I don't have to pay taxes on it). But I'll try getting one from a physical store first. Like a friend said, "If you buy online you'll have to wait for the mail which could actually kill you."

I guess I could skip English. I already know how to right good. :roll:

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Doesn't look like they're going to force bundles this time according to the Email sent out to all store managers. It's over at gamesarefun.com.

I'm a bit worried that I won't get a preorder in, due to conflicts. I wish they opened at 11 instead of 10.
-G1

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Nintendo JUST CAN'T comfort the public with a number like 4,000,000 can they?

I know i'd love to preorder, but i'm sure i'll be visiting Wal-Mart repeatedly until i get one.

Siazair
Student of Vane

Post by Siazair »

Yea...You'd think there's going to be enough for everyone with 4mil, but the Wii is a abnormality to me, it'll either be a huge sucess, or flop. I'm going to get there at 9, hopefully a friend will come with me, and I'll play Mario Kart in line...I'm such a fanboy...

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

I was hoping that DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 2 would be exclusive to Wii only. Then I would have had NO choice but to get it. Me and my roomy buy all of the DBZ fighting games and it would have killed him if he had to ask to use my system every time he wanted to play it. But alas... it's coming out on PS2 before Wii launch.

Anyways, I'm still getting the Wii and Zelda Twilight Princess.

A lot of people are getting more than 1 launch title, but I don't see the point. You'll have all your Gamecube games to replay on Wii if you finish the first game you get, and by the time you replay one or two Gamecube games, a better Wii title (one you'll actually be very interested in) will probably be released (like Smash Bros Brawl).

I'm not going to pre-order and rely on EBGames and I'll NEVER trust those Zellers dorkists. Best bet is to rush Wal-Mart when it opens and hope that they get the big shipments as promised.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Greensky wrote:I was hoping that DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 2 would be exclusive to Wii only. Then I would have had NO choice but to get it. Me and my roomy buy all of the DBZ fighting games and it would have killed him if he had to ask to use my system every time he wanted to play it. But alas... it's coming out on PS2 before Wii launch.

Anyways, I'm still getting the Wii and Zelda Twilight Princess.

A lot of people are getting more than 1 launch title, but I don't see the point. You'll have all your Gamecube games to replay on Wii if you finish the first game you get, and by the time you replay one or two Gamecube games, a better Wii title (one you'll actually be very interested in) will probably be released (like Smash Bros Brawl).

I'm not going to pre-order and rely on EBGames and I'll NEVER trust those Zellers dorkists. Best bet is to rush Wal-Mart when it opens and hope that they get the big shipments as promised.

This is why DBZ games are generally doomed to suck or at least fall VERY short of what they could be. When you dedicate yourself to getting something regardless of the quality, it tells the creators that they don't have to try hard.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Greensky wrote:A lot of people are getting more than 1 launch title, but I don't see the point. You'll have all your Gamecube games to replay on Wii if you finish the first game you get, and by the time you replay one or two Gamecube games, a better Wii title (one you'll actually be very interested in) will probably be released (like Smash Bros Brawl).

Well for one thing, not everyone has a Gamecube. The Wii is going to be my first console since the PS1, and the only console I'll have ever bought for myself that was current-generation.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Might be worth going and picking up a few of the better GameCube games when you get your Wii then. Some of the classics can be found for extremely low prices now.
-G1

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Yeah, I'm sure I'll pick up a few bargain basement Gamecube titles when I have my Wii. Anything anyone specifically reccomends?

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

ilovemyguitar wrote:Yeah, I'm sure I'll pick up a few bargain basement Gamecube titles when I have my Wii. Anything anyone specifically reccomends?

Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2

Zelda: Wind Waker

F-Zero GX

Tales of Symphonia

Ikaruga

Siazair
Student of Vane

Post by Siazair »

Also, RE 4 was really fun

Sonic's always a good choice...not heros...or whatever the gay surfboard racing game was...

and the Rogue Squadron Games are fun

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'll second Ikaruga if you can find it at a decent price.

I've never played it, but that Paper Mario game is supposed to be really good too. Super Smash Bros. Melee for sure, but if the Wii SSB is coming soon, I'd just hold off for the newest one. Oh, and Mario Kart, if you're into that. It's not the best MK, but it's still a fun game.
-G1

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Siazair wrote:Also, RE 4 was really fun

Sonic's always a good choice...not heros...or whatever the gay surfboard racing game was...

What does RE stand for?

(And I don't want to be a jerk, but "gay" isn't/shouldn't be a derogatory term...)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

ilovemyguitar wrote:
Siazair wrote:Also, RE 4 was really fun

What does RE stand for?

(And I don't want to be a jerk, but "gay" isn't/shouldn't be a derogatory term...)

Resident Evil. My friend keeps telling me I should play even though it would be my first. Also, he says Fire Emblem is good. I'm thinking about picking up Fire Emblem on the launch to prepare for the RPG drought that the Wii will suffer.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door was a lot of fun. I'd definitely recommend it. It was more sophisticated than the first Paper Mario (on N64), though the first may have had more charm.

You may also want to consider MGS: Twin Snakes if that's your thing. Or not; the big MGS fans I've talked with thought that the balance was all messed up in Twin Snakes compared to the original and liked the original voices better. But if you didn't play it on PSX and wanted to, or if you just want to compare the two, may as well check it out.

Weird for me to realize how few GC titles we have (most of the rest of ours are Zelda), but I use it more for the GB Player than anything else.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Personally I thought it was the weakest of Nintendo's four main console systems to date. Not that there wasn't a lot of good games, but there were quite a bit fewer than in the past.
-G1

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I've always had the impression that the N64 was a weaker system than the Gamecube. Of course, I can't explain why, and it might be as simple an impression as me having a GC and not having an N64.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

They're close for me, but the main Nintendo titles (Mario and Zelda) were better on the N64 to me. I actually never finished either Mario Sunshine or Zelda WW. WW was because of an erased game though. I was nearly done with it. But even then, Zelda 64 was far better for me when it came uot than Wind Waker. Mario 64 was also much more fun to me than Sunshine. I also liked Mario Kart on the 64 more than the GC. Plus, GoldenEye and Perfect Dark were on the 64.

BTW, one game I highly recommend for GameCube is Skies of Arcadia Legends if you haven't played it on DC. It's one of the best RPGs, if not the best, in the past 5 years IMO.

Edit - Damn, no preorder for me. My brother was beat there and was sent packing. F'in campers. Looks like it's Wally World or Target for me.
-G1

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

No, preorder for me either, G1. I would say that I should have skipped English, but that wouldn't have helped either. I thought the store opened at 10... turned out it was 8. They were sold out by 8:15. So, I would have needed to get up early to camp out. Too bad. I'm just going to preorder online. I'm not going to line up in front of a Target at 6:00 am in the morning. And if they offer a midnight launch I don't think I'd be comfortable walking home with a new game system for 15 minutes on the one of the town's busiest streets.

So, online is for me. Buy from Amazon. Ship to my parents' house and pick it up during Thanksgiving break.