Wii Dangers

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Wii Dangers

Post by phyco126 »

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/In ... x?GT1=8886

I thought it was silly at first, having saw a comic on Apple Geeks about the Wii remote breaking TVs, then seeing a similiar comic on Penny Arcade. Finally even MSN picked up on the story. I find it funny. Thoughts?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I just...

It seems like if things are breaking like that, then people are overexcitedly using it! But I haven't used one, I've only watched others using it.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Bah, the wrist strap is there for a reason, and the games I've played (which I admit have been limited to Wii Bowling and Zelda) are clear about using the strap. My mom did lose her grip on the remote when we were playing bowling (which, with one controller, means that you're passing it around and people get lazy about putting on the strap), but that was probably more because she'd collided with a cup of coffee and knocked it off the table. The house is a bit... crowded.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

It's been horribly blown out of proportion. I've yet to even come close to loosing my grip on the thing, and really, Wii Sports is the only game I've seen where you can get out of control with it. Playing Zelda really doesn't require swinging around like a wildman.

As a precaution, I've require anyone playing it to use the wrist strap or they don't play. I have no desire to have some hyper-active person throw a controller through my new TV. I've also heard of people having the wrist strap break, but I can't imagine how hard they're probably swinging. Even if the strap were to break, the chances of both loosing your grip on the controller and breaking the strap at once are pretty slim. Plus, didn't Nintendo comment that they were looking into it? At least they're willing to do that. If it was Sony, they'd blame the consumer without even considering that it might be faulty.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Alunissage wrote:Bah, the wrist strap is there for a reason...
http://www.applegeeks.com/lite/index.ph ... 2006-12-01

hehehehehehe

Anyway, yeah, I can't even think of how it can happen. If I broke something, I would blame myself, not the company. I mean, it's kinda common sense: If there is a strap, use it. If you don't use it and something breaks, your fault.

Like my old digital camera, I use the straps if I'm going to be holding it, especially over concrete. I've slacked, but when I do I make an effort to ensure my grib is firm. If I dropped the camera, I would have blamed my laziness and not Kodak.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

When I was 7 I put a small crack in our TV by throwing the NES remote at the screen. I entirely blame Nintendo for making their games too hard. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

A friend of mine told me that the majority of the controllers have survived. It's clearly not Nintendo's fault for making the TVs out of weak glass :D .

Maybe they'll start making TVs out of what's used for windshields...

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

One of the EBC haiku contest submissions was this:

GRAVITY BOMB Twice.
Controllers smash through window
It's all Borgan's fault.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

lol, lovely haiku.

Though I still can't fathom breaking a TV with a remote. It'll have to be thrown pretty hard I would think. I've had my share of abuseing the 'ol tube and it's all be hard thick glass that I can't break.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Alunissage wrote:One of the EBC haiku contest submissions was this:

GRAVITY BOMB Twice.
It's all Borgan's fault.
Heh... I have a friend who spent most of trig coming up with haiku about school.

Anyway.... when my friends come over to play Wii, we're first going <a href=http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com> here </a> .

Edit: Colons generally work better for URLs than semi-colons. :oops:

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

Alunissage wrote:One of the EBC haiku contest submissions was this:

GRAVITY BOMB Twice.
It's all Borgan's fault.
Cute.
Kizyr wrote:When I was 7 I put a small crack in our TV by throwing the NES remote at the screen. I entirely blame Nintendo for making their games too hard. KF
I know, I know. Once I dropped a glass cheese dish on the floor. It broke. What shoddy, shoddy workmanship...

wildthehero
Lostest Boy

Post by wildthehero »

Lol. This is about the most ludicrous complaint I've ever heard. When was the last time someone threw a squash or tennis racket, or a bat; a golf club, or a sword across the field/room on accident. I think someone should take their Wii's away and fine them for being stupid. =P j/k, but come on. I'd feel too embarassed to write in a complaint about that.
Who says you cant have your cake and eat it too!?!

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

That's okay, over at SWG people are complaining that they had seizures and demanded restribution from SOE, after they admitted that they know there is a warning not to play if you have epilipsy. Now THAT kind of complaint takes the cake.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

wildthehero wrote:Lol. This is about the most ludicrous complaint I've ever heard. When was the last time someone threw a squash or tennis racket, or a bat; a golf club, or a sword across the field/room on accident.
Heh... when was the last time you went to a little league game? It happens.