Lord of the Rings: Online?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lord of the Rings: Online?

Post by AlasdairPalemoon »

So, um...does anyone else in the world play this game? It seems like whenever I bring it up to folks, they always say they haven't. It's the first MMO I've actually caved in and bought, and I don't seem to get much play out of it, either, though I have enjoyed it the times I do, so it's odd like that.
"The wisest mind has yet something to learn." - George Santayana

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

When I first heard of it a couple of years ago (this was while it was in development) I did have some interest in it. But after awhile I lost interest and forgot about it. Then next thing you know it shoots back up this year and is released. Though I probably won't get it since I generally don't play games on my computer.

AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest

Zophar wrote:When I first heard of it a couple of years ago (this was while it was in development) I did have some interest in it. But after awhile I lost interest and forgot about it. Then next thing you know it shoots back up this year and is released. Though I probably won't get it since I generally don't play games on my computer.
Heh, that's okay, I was in the same boat for a long time. But a friend kept buying me PC games and stuff, practically forcing me to get on computer gaming, yeesh. Then, he convinced me to play LotR. I actually started a trial run of City of Heroes yesterday and kinda like that a little more. Superhero-y goodness.

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

Post by DeathBeforeDenial »

Bought it two days ago, it's pretty good thus far. Far more opportunities to solo things, or Fellowship them at a lower level, provides choice which is nice.

It doesn't have the same skill grinding as Star Wars Galaxies which some people liked, instead it operates on a level/experience scale where you learn traits and abilities based on level and actions within the game.

Apparently there will be 3 or 4 expansion packs introducing more areas of Middle Earth (so far you character is confined to Eriador) as well as enemies and perhaps class abilities.

If your sick of WoW this may be a worthwhile game to check out.

The one downfall is that the number of RPers out there are far less than I would have hoped, if you really want to enjoy a cool Middle-Earth RP vibe you need to join a Kinship (Guild).
They said that on Saturday evening Arsenius used to turn his back to the setting sun and stretch out his hands towards heaven and pray until, at dawn on Sunday, the rising sun lit up his face, and then he sat down again.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

DeathBeforeDenial wrote:Bought it two days ago, it's pretty good thus far. Far more opportunities to solo things, or Fellowship them at a lower level, provides choice which is nice.

It doesn't have the same skill grinding as Star Wars Galaxies which some people liked, instead it operates on a level/experience scale where you learn traits and abilities based on level and actions within the game.

Apparently there will be 3 or 4 expansion packs introducing more areas of Middle Earth (so far you character is confined to Eriador) as well as enemies and perhaps class abilities.

The one downfall is that the number of RPers out there are far less than I would have hoped, if you really want to enjoy a cool Middle-Earth RP vibe you need to join a Kinship (Guild).
Star Wars Galaxies... *cry*

Anyway, I should make a Hobbit and carry around a ring saying that I am the new emperor of Middle-Earth. :D

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest

DeathBeforeDenial wrote:Bought it two days ago, it's pretty good thus far. Far more opportunities to solo things, or Fellowship them at a lower level, provides choice which is nice.

Yeah, there's supposed to be a lot of free content coming around. RP can be hard to find (like it seems to be with all MMOs, from what I've seen) but I understand that the server I mainly play on, Landroval, is the unofficial RP server. I mostly RP with my friend who plays there, but I understand there are ways to encourage it like staying in a town, walk instead of run, initiate it, etc.

We're all for more players, so let either of us know if anyone wants a referral (allows someone a guest key for 10 days). Hehe, I won't hold back info that it helps us, too, as every successful referral that leads to a purchase of the retail key gives us free game time, as well. So nothin' to lose there, really.

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

Post by DeathBeforeDenial »

Yea, I heard Landroval was the Unofficial RP server so I took my character there too. I spend a good amount of time /ignoring people or turning the OOC Channel off because they just ruin the atmosphere.

So far, level 12 Dwarf Champion.
They said that on Saturday evening Arsenius used to turn his back to the setting sun and stretch out his hands towards heaven and pray until, at dawn on Sunday, the rising sun lit up his face, and then he sat down again.