So, Chrono Trigger's coming to the DS

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

So, Chrono Trigger's coming to the DS

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ctds/

Yes, it's coming. Apparently it's an "enhanced port" similar to the FFAdvance series. Works for me, I don't think I'd want to see a 3-D remake of Chrono Trigger.

I'm game. ^^
-Nobi

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Re: So, Chrono Trigger's coming to the DS

Post by Sonic# »

That clock moves crazily.

I'm reasonably excited about this. I enjoyed the Playstation port, and the DS isn't likely to have load times, so... who knows? Hopefully it'll surpass the Chrono Resurrection project they shut down. ^_^
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

lutomboy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lutomboy »

This better not be a trick Chrono is the best game there ever was (tied with Lunar of cores ) where did you see this I must read it, and PLEASE tell me it is coming to the USA

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

There's a similar page on Square-Enix North America's site:
http://na.square-enix.com/ctds/

Supposedly it's due out here at Christmas.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm hoping the new dungeon is that area you couldn't get to in Zeal. I always wondered what was there.
-G1

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

I wish they'd 3D it like they're doing with the FF's. Then again, i probably still wouldn't play it. I hate Akira Toriyama's art style. A lot.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

The music and storyline are where it's at with CT anyways. Though I don't mind the artwork.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I certainly hope they'll keep it 2D. I am not fond of the scowling faces in some of the portraits but I like the sprite designs very much, for the most part. It's possibly the only game I've played where I think the sprites are better than the artwork from which they were derived.

I also wonder if any of it will be fleshed out. It would be nice to see players realize what a repellent, loathsome character Magus is.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

It is staying 2D. Graphically, it sounds like the only thing changing is the fact that it's going split screen for the DS, with some kind of touch-screen options. A new dungeon and some kind of wireless functionality are going to be added.
-G1

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Fangasm! I can't wait to see what they do with it (consider that the control scehem will, unfortunately, haver to be altered for the pad onthe DS). I just hope they don't mess with anything too much. I liked the original just fine as it is at this moment.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

LunarRaptor wrote:(consider that the control scehem will, unfortunately, haver to be altered for the pad onthe DS).
Why's that? The SNES had a D-pad, two-side triggers, and four buttons as do the DS.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Hmmm, since I did spend a lot of money on the DS, I suppose I should pick up more games for it. L: DS isn't going to be played, and Pokemon can only go so far. I always liked CT, never got too far with it. Should be fun to play it for the DS. :D

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I think its awesome that CT is getting "ported with enhancements". As much as it would be nice to have a portable CT, I'm not going to pick it up (maybe far in the future I will). I have a WHOLE list of games I'm worried about before I even start to think about this.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Werefrog, the motion sensor pad and the pointer is the only parts of the DS that are fully reliable. Have you ever tried primarily using the other parts of the DS to move your character around and to do combat in-game with? It sucks trying it that way because of how the danged thing is built.

Off topic: Hey, Dark-Fairy, is that image on your post supposed to be Dyne, Lemia, and Ghaleon during their "Four Heroes" days?
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

LunarRaptor wrote:Werefrog, the motion sensor pad and the pointer is the only parts of the DS that are fully reliable. Have you ever tried primarily using the other parts of the DS to move your character around and to do combat in-game with? It sucks trying it that way because of how the danged thing is built.
I've played quite a few GBA games on my DS, so yes, I have played with the pad and the buttons. It's no big deal. It shouldn't be a problem since it's 2-d. If Chrono Trigger were a true 3-d game, you might have a point.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

LunarRaptor wrote:Werefrog, the motion sensor pad and the pointer is the only parts of the DS that are fully reliable. Have you ever tried primarily using the other parts of the DS to move your character around and to do combat in-game with? It sucks trying it that way because of how the danged thing is built.
That seems an odd thing to say. I don't recall having any trouble using the DS's buttons in action games (I'm thinking GBA Metroid games here), at least on the Lite. I do recall having a bit of trouble with the original DS's d-pad, but I attributed that to my thumb rather than the d-pad itself.
Off topic: Hey, Dark-Fairy, is that image on your post supposed to be Dyne, Lemia, and Ghaleon during their "Four Heroes" days?
A little earlier; it's from the second story in the Vheen manga, which shows how Lemia met Ghaleon and Dyne and came to join them. This is before they met Mel, etc. No indication of whether Dyne had met Quark by then.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Alunissage wrote:
That seems an odd thing to say. I don't recall having any trouble using the DS's buttons in action games (I'm thinking GBA Metroid games here), at least on the Lite. I do recall having a bit of trouble with the original DS's d-pad, but I attributed that to my thumb rather than the d-pad itself.
A little earlier; it's from the second story in the Vheen manga, which shows how Lemia met Ghaleon and Dyne and came to join them. This is before they met Mel, etc. No indication of whether Dyne had met Quark by then.
Yeah, its from the manga. All I did was just color the image using photoshop and turned it into a sig type thing. ^^;

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Well, games from the Gameboy Advance are an exception. They were built for usage on a system without the motion sensory and such. But in this case, Square is taking a game, and converting over to the DS. I'm not going to hold me breath for a control scheme in which they don't force us to use the very feature that defines the DS. Square always follows the gimmick.

Thank for the answer on the image. Hmm. DId you get that image off of a site where they have the entire manga, be chance?

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

LunarRaptor wrote:Thank for the answer on the image. Hmm. DId you get that image off of a site where they have the entire manga, be chance?
I honestly don't remember where I got it. I think it was some random Geocities website. I found a handful of random scans from the Lunar mangas a few years ago while searching around. I do remember that the website only had samples like here at L-net had though.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It's still possible to buy the entire manga: I saw it listed on eBay just a couple days ago.