Worst RPG

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Worst RPG

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Angelalex242 wrote:The worst RPG period is Quest 64. Boring as hell. I never finished it. And from me, that's saying something. I NEVER leave games unfinished.

I beat it and actually had fun because I didn't expect a lot of it and enjoyed the music. I'd replay Quest 64 before I'd pick Dragon Song back up.

cj iwakura
Student of Vane

Post by cj iwakura »

The worst I've ever played is Magna Carta. Good story, beautiful design, terrible gameplay.

swordandshield
Lyton Singer

Post by swordandshield »

Shiva Indis wrote:I don't hate FFVII, I'm just really ambivalent towards it. Everyone loves it, so I won't. :wink:

But to stay on topic, Legend of Dragoon is probably my personal worst. I bet there are people here who remember it fondly, but for me it straddled the line between being laughably bad and just plain awful. Pretty cutscenes though.
Are you kidding? Please tell me that's sarcasm. Legend of the Dragoon was one of the best RPGs ever. What is there not to like about it? I've never heard anything negative about the game until now so I'm pretty astonished.

...I guess there's a first time for everything.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

swordandshield wrote:
Shiva Indis wrote:I don't hate FFVII, I'm just really ambivalent towards it. Everyone loves it, so I won't. :wink:

But to stay on topic, Legend of Dragoon is probably my personal worst. I bet there are people here who remember it fondly, but for me it straddled the line between being laughably bad and just plain awful. Pretty cutscenes though.
Are you kidding? Please tell me that's sarcasm. Legend of the Dragoon was one of the best RPGs ever. What is there not to like about it? I've never heard anything negative about the game until now so I'm pretty astonished.

I've never played the game, but to defend [her, apologies!] a bit, I've heard lots about the game, both good and bad. Some love it, some like it but acknowledge that the pacing could be better, and some loathe it. So... I'm sorry you're astonished. I like some games that are often considered bad, like Legend of Mana. :)
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Sonic# wrote:but to defend him a bit
Assuming you're speaking of Shiva, that him should be a her. :P
-G1

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

For me, hands down the worst RPG I have EVER played is Beyond the Beyond for the PS1.... *shudder* Thankfully it's a DISTANT bad memory....

I saw that someone listed 7th Saga... It's true that's it not a bad game, it's just INSANELY hard... which puts a lot of people off. The difficulty reminds me of Ghost and Goblins for NES... OMG, are there any stages OTHER than 1? I certainly don't know because I've never been skilled enough to make it XD lol ... I take that back, I think I got two feet onto the 2nd stage and promptly died.... and that's without any cheat codes.... sooooo epically hard though.

As for KH... I thought the art/graphics was great and the voice acting was really nice too... but yeah, I just couldn't get into it enough to play through to the end. Same for KH2 and I really like Disney movies, but it didn't help :\

FF7... another game I got about halfway through and I was like, this game just feels too long.... It wasn't terrible or anything, but for a while I was completely clueless as to why it was SO popular. Then I kept hearing about what it did for RPGs not so much the story itself and that made more sense to me.

I'm also currently playing Eternal Sonata, I think, at least so far, that it's a cute RPG. I haven't seen anything annoying about it... but perhaps I just haven't gotten far enough in the game yet. I like the option of playing with subs vs dubbing though because I tried to listen in english but the voices got on my nerves ^^;;

swordandshield
Lyton Singer

Post by swordandshield »

Sonic# wrote:
swordandshield wrote:

I've never played the game, but to defend [her, apologies!] a bit, I've heard lots about the game, both good and bad. Some love it, some like it but acknowledge that the pacing could be better, and some loathe it. So... I'm sorry you're astonished. I like some games that are often considered bad, like Legend of Mana. :)
Secret of Mana has high popularity or atleast it wasn't considered as bad. I've never heard any negativity pointed towards it. By far, it's probably one of the best RPGs in the gaming industry.

Are you by any chance referring to Seiken Densetsu 3? Because that wasn't as popular and wasn't as liked as SoM.

It's personal preference but in my opinion Legend of the Dragoon was a staple game for the PS1 and probably one of the best RPGs for it. I think it blows FF7 out of the water. It was way more innovative and just overall a bigger and better game. It had it's flaws but it had a good well-developed storyline that was engaging and the Dragoon transformations were a nice feature.

The only thing I was disappointed about was the lack of a real world map like they are setup in Final Fantasy, it was boring moving in a straight line to travel to your destination. I like to traverse and explore around the continents and fiddle around a bit. It felt really linear because of that and it didn't have much in a way of secret dungeons/bosses but I personally enjoyed it and thought it was fun.

I wish there was a remake or a LotD 2 but that's doubtful.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

No, he's referring to Legend of Mana. It's the Playstation Mana (or Seiken Densetsu, if you prefer) game. It's definitely not as good as the SNES game, but I wouldn't consider it one of the worst.

See... this is why I don't like these topics. Someone is going to offend someone else no matter what. If I said Quest 64 (or Superman 64, for that matter!), someone who had fond memories of it would feel upset.

swordandshield
Lyton Singer

Post by swordandshield »

No worries, I'm not upset, atleast. I don't get bothered by such things. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and even if I don't agree and get surprised by their opinions I just accept them, not everyone has the same taste and views (thank god because the world would be an awfully dull place).

The only time I do get bothered is if someone says something negative about something only to purposely go the opposite of what you said to try and be indignant towards you and make you upset. They can easily be ignored though, just have a strong will.

Thanks for clearing that up about Legend of Mana, I had a feeling I had it wrong but whenever I hear 'mana' I think Secret of Mana. I haven't played the PS1 port in forever but I didn't have much of a problem with it when I did play it.

Theta
Nanza Bandit

Post by Theta »

Now there was noting wrong with Xenosaga! It had a good plot, decent battle system, and developed characters.
The second one gets my vote for worst.

Lets ruin everything good about Episode one and give people lego hands!
Dokken does not like chicken, and wants to destroy it. Protect your chicken from Dokken.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Werefrog wrote:No, he's referring to Legend of Mana. It's the Playstation Mana (or Seiken Densetsu, if you prefer) game. It's definitely not as good as the SNES game, but I wouldn't consider it one of the worst.

See... this is why I don't like these topics. Someone is going to offend someone else no matter what. If I said Quest 64 (or Superman 64, for that matter!), someone who had fond memories of it would feel upset.
Anybody who would get upset over someone insulting a video game or any other form of media that they're a fan of is a retard who deserves to be upset.

I liked Quest 64 but I definitely don't care that almost everyone else hated it.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Theta wrote:Now there was noting wrong with Xenosaga! It had a good plot, decent battle system, and developed characters.
The second one gets my vote for worst.

Lets ruin everything good about Episode one and give people lego hands!
I liked Episode 2, actually. I could complete 2, when I couldn't quite work myself up to complete 1. Of course, 3 was the best. :D

Though I laughed at the lego hands. Works for Star Wars. ;P
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Maru
Bromide Hunter

Post by Maru »

Eternal Sonata. Ungh. I have NEVER turned a game off and walked away without finishing it until this POS. I think I played about half an hour before I was like, "-Fatal Hopper- this -Dragon Diamond-, I'm going outside." (It was winter. And I HATE being cold.)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Heh, we just started that. It took a little while for me to get past its floridity, but it's okay. I did have about that reaction to Odin Sphere, though, if not quite so negative.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I can't remember the name of it, but the worst was easily this one that took place on the moon. Some girl with blue hair kept singing and there was a flying, talking cat. :wink:

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

ilovemyguitar wrote:I can't remember the name of it, but the worst was easily this one that took place on the moon. Some girl with blue hair kept singing and there was a flying, talking cat. :wink:
Sounds like it's based on a Disney movie. Maybe the Lion King?

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Werefrog wrote:
ilovemyguitar wrote:I can't remember the name of it, but the worst was easily this one that took place on the moon. Some girl with blue hair kept singing and there was a flying, talking cat. :wink:
Sounds like it's based on a Disney movie. Maybe the Lion King?
It couldn't have been Disney, because it had all this awful, off-color humor in it. Thankfully I remember that it was made by Working Designs, and they went out of business so they can't make any more games in the series.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Maru wrote:Eternal Sonata. Ungh. I have NEVER turned a game off and walked away without finishing it until this POS. I think I played about half an hour before I was like, "-Fatal Hopper- this -Dragon Diamond-, I'm going outside." (It was winter. And I HATE being cold.)

I liked it when it wasn't giving a history lesson.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:
Maru wrote:Eternal Sonata. Ungh. I have NEVER turned a game off and walked away without finishing it until this POS. I think I played about half an hour before I was like, "-Fatal Hopper- this -Dragon Diamond-, I'm going outside." (It was winter. And I HATE being cold.)

I liked it when it wasn't giving a history lesson.
Someone I knew from high school told me (on Facebook, I haven't seen him in the real world in like 4 years) that this was the best game ever. But then again, he only listens to classical music and speaks like he's from the 19th century, so I'm pretty sure that he was the target demographic.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

He actually practiced and got to where he talks like he's out of a Shakespeare story so he can feel unique? LOL!!