PS3 Vs Xbox360

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

PS3 Vs Xbox360

Post by phyco126 »

*scratches head* I'm in a bind. The Xbox 360 Elite is only $400, wereas the PS3 is $400 but it is more of a "base line" system. I'm not entirely sure what the difference is aside from harddrive size. Anyway, I can only purchase one of the systems (for now at least, meh). Now, I don't game very often, so both systems are on the table thanks to only one game.

I want the Xbox 360 for Halo 3
I want the PS3 for Gran Tourismo 5 (if and when it is finally released)

Of course, regardless of the system I buy, I will have to buy a LCD HDTV. I'm looking at 32". The 52" and larger TVs are entirely outside of my ability to purchase (thanks to not having a place to put one. If I had my own place, I would easily get a 52").

So what it really comes down to, is the pros and cons of each system.

PS3 has Blu-Ray and will be getting GT5 (eventually, or so they promise). The Xbox has no HD DVD playback, but Halo 3 is totally out right now. The PSP can be used with the PS3 (I've got a PSP). Xbox 360 doesn't do any special tricks like that. Neither system really supports great backwards compatibility, but I know that the Xbox 360 does (the PS3 I'm not sure on). I can sell my old Xbox for $20, $40 on Ebay or craigslist, to help with the cost. I also have some discount money cards coming from Best Buy that will also help. Each system costs the same. The PS3 has a pretty awesome steering wheel from logitech. The Xbox has some flimsy crapwheel from some never heard of company.

Still, despite the black and white, I really can't decide which one to go for. I REALLY want to play Halo 3, but I REALLY want a blu-ray player and GT5. Decisions, decisions.

Thoughts? What about what games are out? FPS, RPGs, and to some extent, racing games are what I go for right now.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Re: PS3 Vs Xbox360

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I really don't know much about what's on the PS3, since I don't have one. I haven't really played my 360 that much, but at least I have one. Right now, the best RPG, in my opinion, for the 360 is Tales of Vesperia. It has voice acting, animated cut scenes, and really detailed 3D anime graphics. It's definitely worth trying, plus it's fun. :)

Of course, there's also games like Halo 3 for the 360. The 360 can also play the original Halos and some other Xbox games like Fable (RPG). Speaking of which, I heard that Fable 2 is suppose to be pretty good. It's for the 360.

Also, if you're into fighting games, Street Fighter IV comes out the 17th for both systems.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

We have both (so I totally don't get why you'd complain that the Wii doesn't have DVD playback since you can hardly avoid it with the other consoles), but have played so few disc-based games on them that it's really laughable. Although we have several games for each, we've played mostly downloadable games... and of those, we've played more PS3 games by far, since I think we've only played one 360 game.

However, last night we did finally play a disc-based PS3 game, since we'd just had the thing replaced under warranty and needed to test it out. The game was MGS 4. If you're into that series, you'll probably want to play that installment.

We also use the PS3 to watch Blu-Ray discs, a bit -- mainly the BBC Planet Earth series, which is totally worth watching that way. It's also set up to connect with our server so we can watch stuff or look at photos that are on the server, which is kind of nice.

Regarding the backwards-compatibility, the way I heard it most recently is that the PS3 is essentially backwards-compatible with the PS1 but not the PS2. That's an oversimplification, but the early-gen PS3s had hardware for the PS2 compatibility and later ones didn't and just emulated the PS2 in software. But that compatibility wasn't great and may have even been abandoned, I'm not sure. We haven't tested it, since we still have something like 3 PS2s around. I think we were playing Tales of Destiny on the PS3, though.

We haven't gotten around to trying any more recent RPGs, though we did play a few demos. Eternal Sonata is one we're looking forward to, and I learned from a thread elsewhere on this forum that the PS3 version had more stuff than the 360 one so we bought the PS3 one. We also have Valkyria Chronicles, which I think other people here have liked; we'd played some of a friend's copy before buying our own (and not yet playing it). I know we have a couple of 360 RPGs too, and I have a feeling I'm forgetting other stuff. As I said, we've been mostly playing downloadables.

So overall, I'd say we've definitely gotten way more use out of the PS3, which I have to say I never expected. Then again, I never expected to get much use out of the 360, and so far that expectation has been more or less accurate except for Braid.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Alunissage wrote:We also use the PS3 to watch Blu-Ray discs, a bit -- mainly the BBC Planet Earth series, which is totally worth watching that way.
I second that. I love the Blu-Ray Planet Earth productions. If you have an HDTV, it's really one of the must have Blu-Ray's. Generally, the entire series can be found for $60 somewhere on sale if you look hard enough.

My recommendation is the PS3. Though I did miss out on a year of 360 usages because it broke and I was too lazy to get it fixed until last October. Halo only mildly interested me. It's fun, but that kind of game loses it's appeal to me quickly. The Blu-Ray factor of the PS3 tips it for me, as I use the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player far more than a gaming machine. And there are plenty enough games on it to keep me occupied when I want games. Though honestly, the Wii gets the most game-playing time of all three.

And while it's not really the same line as GT, the new Midnight Club is worth playing if you like racing games. It's out on both systems though.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Alunissage wrote:We have both (so I totally don't get why you'd complain that the Wii doesn't have DVD playback since you can hardly avoid it with the other consoles)...
Huh? I don't own a Wii, nor do I have any interest of getting one, so my complaint of the lack of DVD stems from the idea that it would have been great for my sister. I've got a DVD player in my computer (I don't watch movies on our 52") as well as my tv-less Xbox, but the ability to play HD DVDs (AKA Blu-Rays) has my interests perked. I don't need another DVD player, but the perk of having a HD quality one is where my interest lies.

Now then, thanks everyone. Still looking for suggestions, thoughts, etc. How does the online content hold up? Is any of it free? Is there a fee just to access the service on any of them? I used to have Xbox Live back in 2004, I was completely dissatisfied with the service and the price (I got a 90 day trial to check it out).

G1, I have played Midnight Club on the PS2. Pretty fun game for a racing game, I saw it available for the Xbox, so I was leaning toward the Xbox, but if it is for both systems, well, fudge, the systems are basically tied once again. Both systems seem to have games I wouldn't mind getting and playing, though there is one game I was looking at for the Xbox 360. I wish I could remember what it is, or at least its genre, but alas I cannot. Double fudge, as I can't see if the game is also available on both systems.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

It's difficult.

On the one hand, the PS3 has Valkyria Chronicles, which rocked my world.

On the other hand, the 360 has Blue Dragon, which also rocked my world.

On the one hand, most people think I'm crazy and declare that Blue Dragon is waaaay too easy. And hate all Toriyama artwork (he's hit or miss with me personally).

On the other hands, Valkyria Chronicles and Disgaea 3 are about the only games I'd recommend on the PS3.

They both have Megaman 9. They both have Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (seriously, Phantasy Star 1-4, Shining Force 1 and 2 and much more!).

They both will have Final Fantasy XIII. But only the PS3 will have Versus XIII (supposedly).

The 360 has Tales of Vesperia. However I haven't played it despite my love of Kosuke Fujishima artwork because sadly, I suck at the Tales of battle systems. D:

On the one hand, the 360 has Infinite Undiscovery and will soon have Star Ocean 4.

On the other hand, I've never cared for Tri-Ace.

Why, in the middle of a friggin' recession does the market basically create a dynamic where the best solution is to get both? >>

*hugs his Wii* At least you're consistantly awesome.
-Nobi

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

If RPGs are your thing, the XBox 360 is the best choice at the moment. For JRPG fans, it's got Tales of Vesperia, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, and, in a week or so, Star Ocean 4. It'll also be getting Final Fantasy XIII. For WRPG fans, it's got Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fable 2, Mass Effect, and, in the somewhat near future, Mass Effect 2.

Of course, not all of those titles are necessarily all that great. I absolutely loved Tales of Vesperia. Blue Dragon was great because it had an expansive Dragon Quest vibe that I'd been lacking in this massive stretch between Dragon Quests VIII and IX. Lost Odyssey was, eh, pretty good. Most people prefer it to Blue Dragon, but I thought the only things that really stood out were the great music and the amazing tales from the 1,000 years of memories. The story and characters themselves were somewhat meh, as were their designs and their voice acting. I really liked Eternal Sonata, but the story gets incredibly preachy and juvenile during the credits, so that was a pretty big turn-off right at the end. Still, the battle system was great fun and certainly enough to keep me interested with the light-shadow system. Infinite Undiscovery was just bleh, with a horrible battle system, mostly unacceptable voice acting, and points at which you just want to quit. I haven't played The Last Remnant, but I've heard the battle system isn't so hot. However, all of the WRPGs are solid.

The PS3 has Valkyria Chronicles, White Knight Chronicles, and Disgaea 3 as its exclusives. Valkyria Chronicles looks very nice. Unfortunately, WKC hasn't been getting good reviews. As for Disgaea 3, I haven't enjoyed the Disgaea franchise, but I suppose it'd be good if you like the other titles in the series. The overlapping RPGs are Eternal Sonata, Final Fantasy XIII, Fallout 3, and Oblivion. Also, no 360 version of Final Fantasy XIII Versus has been announced, so that may stay exclusive while the main game itself goes multi. Of course, there's always the underlying advantage of BluRay on PS3, but again, that hasn't really enticed me.

So for RPGs, it comes down to Tales of Vesperia, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean 4, Fable 2, and Mass Effect versus Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3, and Final Fantasy XIII Versus (plus the BluRay bonus). I chose the 360. <_<; Add Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, and White Knight Chronicles into the mix if you haven't been turned off by their reviews.

If you want anything other than RPGs, it mostly overlaps. Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4, Resident Evil 5, and a plethora of other big titles from this generation have gone multi. The only big exclusives I can think of for PS3 are Little Big Planet and MGS4 while the 360 has Halo 3 and Gears of War 2, assuming any of those titles matter to you.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Lunar Eclipse wrote:As for Disgaea 3, I haven't enjoyed the Disgaea franchise, but I suppose it'd be good if you like the other titles in the series.
... dood?

J/K, I'm crazy like that and love Disgaea, but that's because I love building my little army of overly tough demons (I've got a couple characters on level 9999, but I need to reincarnate them and do it again a few more times to defeat Demon Lord Baal...). And don't let the previous admission scare anyone, the game can be beaten at Level 80.
-Nobi

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

GhaleonOne wrote:
Alunissage wrote:We also use the PS3 to watch Blu-Ray discs, a bit -- mainly the BBC Planet Earth series, which is totally worth watching that way.
I second that. I love the Blu-Ray Planet Earth productions. If you have an HDTV, it's really one of the must have Blu-Ray's. Generally, the entire series can be found for $60 somewhere on sale if you look hard enough.
It's nice to watch in HD. Oddly enough I picked up the series on the now dead HD-DVD format. Frys electronics have been clearing out HD-DVDs usually for around 5.00 each. So for the few people that bought one of the players, you can find some really great movie deals.

Alex_Pwns_Hiro
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Alex_Pwns_Hiro »

I would go for the PS3 because the 360 is cool but breaks ALL the time (rrod). Im on my thrid one, and my friend is on his fifth one. Also, the PS3 has free online and better games in my opinion. The PS3 also has the best RPG out right now, which is Valkyria Chronicles, And the PS3 has the all around best game out right now which is Metal Gear Solid 4.
Heres a list of awesome games that are exclusive for PS3.
Little Big Planet
Heavenly Sword
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Metal Gear Solid 4
Valkyria Chronicles
Uncharted : Drakes Fortune and uncharted 2
Resistance 1 and 2
Warhawk
Killzone 2
Lair
Disgaia 3

Games that are comming out later that are exclusive for PS3