Civilization IV PBEM Game

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Civilization IV PBEM Game

Post by phyco126 »

Ardent Fox wrote:Well it's not like I said you didn't need some kind of military force. Barbarians are still -Borgan- early on when you have a civ that doesn't include warriors and they're RIGHT FRIGGIN THERE. I just meant you didn't really need an army that could populate Jupiter snugly with extra spill over on Europa.

(I know they couldn't populate Jupiter, just use your imagination.)
I do, I often like my armies for conquering like so: 10 Mechanized Infantry and 10 Heavy Armor per square, on every square that touches the border of another Civilization. As for water defense, I like 10 Battleships per square of water for a single line all around the entire continent, with several fleets of 30 battleships + 10 aircraft carriers.

One time I invaded another continent with over 300 Mechinaized and Heavy Armors (total, not each). I did have over 700 units, but I decided to 'downsize' after conquering my continent (two continent map).

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Holy cats!

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

phyco126 wrote:
Ardent Fox wrote:Well it's not like I said you didn't need some kind of military force. Barbarians are still -Borgan- early on when you have a civ that doesn't include warriors and they're RIGHT FRIGGIN THERE. I just meant you didn't really need an army that could populate Jupiter snugly with extra spill over on Europa.

I do, I often like my armies for conquering like so: 10 Mechanized Infantry and 10 Heavy Armor per square, on every square that touches the border of another Civilization. As for water defense, I like 10 Battleships per square of water for a single line all around the entire continent, with several fleets of 30 battleships + 10 aircraft carriers.

One time I invaded another continent with over 300 Mechinaized and Heavy Armors (total, not each). I did have over 700 units, but I decided to 'downsize' after conquering my continent (two continent map).
Oh. I think I see your problem. When you've spent so many resources producing so many units at once, before a war... of course there's going to be inflation! When I conduct total war, I do so with a smaller and more economically sustainable force...And, playing with human players, I think they would notice the tens of units in each border tile before you built them up, and would respond accordingly. At least I would.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Sonic# wrote:
phyco126 wrote:

Oh. I think I see your problem. When you've spent so many resources producing so many units at once, before a war... of course there's going to be inflation! When I conduct total war, I do so with a smaller and more economically sustainable force...And, playing with human players, I think they would notice the tens of units in each border tile before you built them up, and would respond accordingly. At least I would.

That's why I use unicorn units.
Only the truly righteous can see them.
Only problem is I can't find my army later.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Sonic# wrote:
phyco126 wrote:

At that point I disabled inflation, because I found out that even if I had no army, I was loosing money because of it.

The line was more as a deterent against them declaring war on me. I'm often fine with my nation, but sometimes some things need a good arse kicking, which led me to conquer my continent. My invasion force of 300 failed for the other continent though, since without inflation they would have an equally massive military, and the game's engine just couldn't handle a turn like that. It froze after 30 minutes of non-stop attacks against my forces.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Ok, so just to recap, we only have
- Kizyr
- Sonic#
- Ardent Fox
- phyco

and no one else? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I'll be testing that patch tonight fairly soon, I'll give an update as to whether it works or not in about an hour or two.

Edit: Huzzah! It works. Count me in. :)

PottleElf
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by PottleElf »

This looks like fun! Unfortunately I don't think I'm reliable enough to participate. The last PBEM anything I did, I was the one who held everything up...

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Ok, so an update: let's try and stard this game on November 1st. Sonic#, Phyco, and Ardent Fox, are you three ok with that?

I'm going to have to start a new thread with some poll options for stuff we need to work out. Check that out momentarily. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Yeah, I'm game. :)