For Game Collectors

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

For Game Collectors

Post by DragonmasterDan »

I'm not sure how many collectors there are on here, but yesterday I made one of the biggest scores in rare games ever,

I posted a thread on it over at http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137831 Digital Press

I found the single rarest licensed NES game (not counting games given out to contest winners) for 3.99 (and for that matter the single most valuable licensed US Nintendo commercial release). The last loose copy went for 1,700.00.

Does anyone else on here do any game collecting? Any massive finds in the past?

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: For Game Collectors

Post by Ardent Fox »

I sputtered for a few moments after reading that post. That is an incredible find! It's like finding the Ark in your local store!

I myself try to collect some games when I find them and have fond memories of them, but it's really only to play, not to collect. My collection currently has no real rare games in it unless you count like...Gitaroo Man or even Mad Maestro, both of which I can't really find when I peruse my local Gamestop.

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Ardent Fox wrote:I sputtered for a few moments after reading that post. That is an incredible find! It's like finding the Ark in your local store!

I myself try to collect some games when I find them and have fond memories of them, but it's really only to play, not to collect. My collection currently has no real rare games in it unless you count like...Gitaroo Man or even Mad Maestro, both of which I can't really find when I peruse my local Gamestop.
I had a hard time tracking down Gitaroo Man a few years ago, then Koei printed more copies for PS2 (and then years later the PSP one)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

My collecting is pretty specific, so I don't have much in the way of game-buying stories. Probably the highest ratio of rarity to price was when I found the Lunar coinbag for 10 yen. Of course, by the time fees and conversions and shipping were figured in it was closer to 10 dollars.

Some stuff I've gotten for free for various reasons. The oddest was probably getting the Korean Lunar PC because I adopted a cat.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Meh, I really don't have anything rare. I do collect games, I just don't have anything rare. I do, however, look at this used video game/DVD/CD store quite often in town see if I can't find anything old, awesome, or rare I want. I've gotten some old NES, SNES, and GB games from there I wouldn't have found offline elsewhere. ^^;

Btw, amazing find Dragonmaster Dan. Now I almost want to start look harder at my used video game store. :P

Justinzero
Lostest Boy

Post by Justinzero »

Ha Ha now that is a wicked find man!

I love treasure hunting at pawn shops for that exact reason, but I've never found anything so rare.

I did some reading up on the game you found, and there is a really cool post at Racketboy.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/10/ ... ing-2.html

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

"It was recently named #6 on a list of 20 "Holy Grails of Console Gaming""
Did it melt your face when you plugged it in? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Kizyr wrote:
No, because it wasn't a counterfeit grail. It was like what Dr.Jones found, the genuine artifact.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

DragonmasterDan wrote:
Kizyr wrote:
No, because it wasn't a counterfeit grail. It was like what Dr.Jones found, the genuine artifact.
Touché. Y'know, I just thought of an excellent ad campaign to discourage bootleg gaming... KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Glad I'm not the only one that made an Indiana Jones reference.

Deltath
Lann Fisherman

Post by Deltath »

I collect games, DVDs and occasionally I'll pick up collectibles that I see will turn a decent profit if I sell them. I haven't made too many amazing game finds, but I have made a couple. I found a mint condition copy of Earthbound at a local flea market for ten cents. I picked up a copy of Suikoden II for $20.

A few non-game related collectible stories I have are better. I used to collect Transformers, many of which I bought from the same flea market where I got Earthbound. There was a guy there who called himself (I'm not making this up, this story is true) Greasy Al. He was always trying to pawn garbage off on me, but I only ever bought video games and Transformers from him. I eventually gave him my phone number and he'd occasionally call me, asking to meet somewhere, because he had some good stuff to sell. On one specific trip, he met me outside of a wholesale furniture warehouse, somewhere behind the loading dock. He was dealing Transformers out of his trunk. It was a pretty amusing sight to see.

Anyway, I ended up offering him $50 for the whole trunkfull, which he reluctantly agreed to, but not before a police officer stopped us thinking no doubt we must be up to something nefarious. Long story short, the officer left us with a warning, saying we should probably keep legitimate business somewhere a little less shady (which I wholeheartedly agreed to!). A few years later I stopped collecting Transformers and sold off the majority of what I had. I was lucky in that the "big" convention, Botcon, was in town. I took my stuff there and came out with a lot of cash. Specifically, I pulled in about $2,300 just from what I got from that trunk of Transformers from Greasy Al. It felt like quite the haul!

Then again, that money is gone now and so are the Transformers. Alas!

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Kizyr wrote: Touché. Y'know, I just thought of an excellent ad campaign to discourage bootleg gaming... KF
Really? Me too, but someone already beat me to my idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI

Edit: Uhh... just read some of the comments on that video. You probably want to avoid those.

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

I have a few rare games amongst my collection that I'm pretty proud of. Grant it, I'm a youngling, so my collection began in the PSX era. I have an immaculate copy of Suikoden II that I'm very proud of, along with the rest of the series save for the Suikogaiden text adventures starring Mr. Nash Latjke. I also had a copy of the original Valkyrie Profile, but I traded it for a copy of the LUNAR SSSC boxset after my copy died on me. Also, not really worth much, but I'm proud to say I have a lot of pre-Greatest Hits games, like Chrono Cross, Xenogears, some of the more popular Final Fantasies... Nothing too thrilling, but I'm proud of it regardless.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"