Dragon Age: Origins, The Movie, The Game, The Thread

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Jenner
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Dragon Age: Origins, The Movie, The Game, The Thread

Post by Jenner »

I like DA:O, discuss. NO REAL SPOILERS.

So far, it's not quite Balder's Gate, but it did devour my time all month. I wasn't able to work on my NaNoWriMo as much as I should have. In fact, I didn't finish it (I will eventually finish it.) I just beat the game, I like the Dwarf Commoner, it's the character I most emphasize with. The Dwarf stories in general are awesome. I haven't played a real elf yet but I'm sure its serious business.

I do like how they went away from the usual trope of elves being the master race and instead lumped all the minority stereotypes on them. (Slaves AND they had a Trail of Tears? My God, all they need is to have a religion that is defamed by the majority, WHAT THEY HAVE THAT TOO? OH LORD.)

Also, Alistair and Morrigan are going to wind up rage-sexing, I just know it. I'm totally going to write the fanfic after I'm done with my NaNoWriMo.
Last edited by Jenner on Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Re: Dragon Age: Origins, The Movie, The Game, The Thread

Post by Jenner »

SOMEONE TALK ABOUT DA:O WITH ME. *flail*
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

It was a pretty good game. I preferred Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect though. I was expecting more out of the story than what I got, and my favorite character died way too early.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

>.> Who died?

I respect Morrigan because she's a tough independent badass. I hate her because she is just so goddamn difficult.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

*spoilers*

>.> Who died?

Duncan. I'm playing the game over again now though. I'm going to recruit the characters that I missed/killed too early last time, so my favorite character might change.

I respect Morrigan because she's a tough independent badass. I hate her because she is just so goddamn difficult.

I like her, but she's not a favorite or anything.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

brightshield wrote:*spoilers*

>.> Who died?

Duncan. I'm playing the game over again now though. I'm going to recruit the characters that I missed/killed too early last time, so my favorite character might change.

I like her, but she's not a favorite or anything.
So far Oghren is my favorite NPC. :P
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I've decided that after the Holidays are over I'll be trading in my Wii and DS to get a PS3, and Dragon Age: Origins is on the short list of games I'll be getting for it, so I'll be able to contribute to this conversation soon!

ZOMG YOU MUST BE SO EXCITED TO HAVE MY INPUT

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

So far Oghren is my favorite NPC.

NPC, as in non playable character? He's playable.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I haven't played the game, but different characters appear or become playable depending on what characters (race) you play as. I wasn't interested in this game, and I'm not even sure how it's played. It looks like Diablo with the click on a character and they attack gameplay, or is it more like an action rpg ala Baldur's Gate?

They say the PC version is the best version to get.

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

^It's a lot like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. I wouldn't say it's as good, but the gameplay is very similar.

I've got the PS3 version, but yeah the PC version is supposed to be the best. It's more strategic and has better graphics.

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

DA:O's gameplay was designed for the PC in particular.
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Silver Phoenix wrote:I haven't played the game, but different characters appear or become playable depending on what characters (race) you play as. I wasn't interested in this game, and I'm not even sure how it's played. It looks like Diablo with the click on a character and they attack gameplay, or is it more like an action rpg ala Baldur's Gate?

They say the PC version is the best version to get.
Yes, the PC version is superior to all other versions. it was definitely designed for PC in specific. I have a hard time even imagining how one could do it on any other system.

that being said, NPCs are characters you do not get to play, I always lump NPC into character that isn't the main character and I need to stop doing that.

I'm horribly amused by Zevran now.

It's very much like Balder's Gate Silver. Not so much Diablo.

ILG! I AM LOOKING SO FORWARD TO YOUR INPUT.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I've finished the Broken Circle Quest, and I think I'm starting the Urn one now. I rather like it...

I'm playing a City Elf Warrior. He has Mediterranean-dark skin and orange hair, and a faint tattoo on his face.

Actually, he looks a lot like my Mass Effect character, except that he's male.

But yes, I'm playing him as a dual-wielding knight-errant. He shows respect to individuals, but does not give ground to authority if they're in the wrong. His flaw - he has a penchant for trying to persuade other people when being more aggressive would be effective, because he's not good at persuasion.

All of this makes for hilarious conversations with Morrigan. I can't wait for Zevran.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Sounds like a good start, you'll have some fun conversations later looking for that Urn.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

I've skipped a bulk of this thread, because I'm not done with the game yet and don't want any spoilers. :P Buuut, I bought this game the other day and have been playing it religiously. I just recently did the Urn of Sacred Ashes quest and got my Champion specialization. I was very tempted to go the evil path and get the Reaver spec, but I'm playing the noble path this playthrough. ;)
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon wrote:I've skipped a bulk of this thread, because I'm not done with the game yet and don't want any spoilers. :P Buuut, I bought this game the other day and have been playing it religiously. I just recently did the Urn of Sacred Ashes quest and got my Champion specialization. I was very tempted to go the evil path and get the Reaver spec, but I'm playing the noble path this playthrough. ;)

IMHO Reaver kinda sucks...
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

Oh yeah? Sounds pretty badass... Feeding on the corpses which litter the battle field to replenish your health? Brutal. Right now Im Champion/Berserker.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Rez
Saith Pirate

Post by Rez »

All I have to say is Arcane Warrior/ Blood mage FTW. I'm invincible and never have to heal.
-Oh, look at the smarty smart pants with his really smart pants!

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

My two-handed swordsman is now a templar as well, and the way I have him stacked, he's basically a mage-slaughterer, and good against anyone without a good store of HP (not a dragon). Also archers, since en masse they're fairly effective, and tend not to cluster in the same place.

I'll have to try the magic class next time. :D
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Sonic# wrote:My two-handed swordsman is now a templar as well, and the way I have him stacked, he's basically a mage-slaughterer, and good against anyone without a good store of HP (not a dragon). Also archers, since en masse they're fairly effective, and tend not to cluster in the same place.

I'll have to try the magic class next time. :D
Mana Clash = Instant Mage Death.

PROTIP.

Why does Alistair have to be so goddamn charming... argh.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.