Victor Ireland + Sunsoft = Profit?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Victor Ireland + Sunsoft = Profit?

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Kiz, look at the bottom of your Saturn for the manufacture date. Mine is June 1995. I had my Saturn modded with a switch, but I think the last time I used it I was worried it was dying so I haven't used it. It will be a real bummer if it dies on me because then I'd have to buy both a US and a Japanese system, because import cartridges are a pain in the butt and never work as good as they're supposed to.

I bought Vampire Savior (Darkstalkers 3) or Dungeons and Dragons Collection brand new with a 4-Meg RAM Cart and the damn thing never seemed to work. I always had to use the one that came with my copy of the Japanese Street Fighter vs. X-MEN.

Old_School
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Old_School »

A new Blaster Master was released on wiiware today. I hear it's one of Sunsoft's most popular series, but I've never tried it. Now that they have the rights to the Xak series, maybe they'll release a game from it. I've always liked Ys and it looks similar.

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

I have a US Saturn and the import cartridge player. The only import I have is Wachenroder, because Yoshitoshi ABe did the art for it. I've always wanted to get TSS and EB Saturn versions, but I am not good with Japanese at all (the main reason stopping me from playing is I need a decent Item translation list, the rest is easily managable since I know the plot).

I've always wondered this, so I'd love help from you Lunar masters: There were Saturn versions in Japan... but we never got them. Did WD port the Saturn to PSX first or did the PSX version come out in Japan and they decided to just do that vers instead? I was under the impression that JP didn't have PSX versions... but my gut says thats wrong. Im so confused! XD

Quark
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Quark »

Alunissage wrote:Man, I need to play DF someday. I have all four disc arts and I've never put any of them into the Saturn. >_<
You really, really should! It is a fantastic game. Probably in the top three titles for Saturn in my modest opinion :P

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

ShindoW wrote:I have a US Saturn and the import cartridge player. The only import I have is Wachenroder, because Yoshitoshi ABe did the art for it. I've always wanted to get TSS and EB Saturn versions, but I am not good with Japanese at all (the main reason stopping me from playing is I need a decent Item translation list, the rest is easily managable since I know the plot).
In my experience, especially as the Saturn gets older, the import cartridge player gets less and less reliable. If you're not playing a lot of imports it's no big deal, but about 80% of my Saturn games are imports, so I finally buckled down and got a Japanese one. So, don't bother getting a new one now, but if you do start getting a lot of imports, you may want to consider that.

By the way, are you sure item translations would be necessary for the Saturn SSS and EBC? They use all icons, so even if you can't read the text, you can memorize what the icons for herbs, etc., are.
ShindoW wrote:I've always wondered this, so I'd love help from you Lunar masters: There were Saturn versions in Japan... but we never got them. Did WD port the Saturn to PSX first or did the PSX version come out in Japan and they decided to just do that vers instead? I was under the impression that JP didn't have PSX versions... but my gut says thats wrong. Im so confused! XD
There were PS1 versions of both SSS and EB.

Working Designs had to port the PS1 versions. They may have worked some of the translation effort off of the Saturn versions, but given the differences (programming-wise), it's really unlikely that they did a port, as it would've taken a lot of unnecessary effort to make the US PS1 versions identical to the Japanese PS1 versions.

Does that answer your question? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

That does ;) I just never hear about the JP PS1 versions.

Good to know about the Saturn imports, too. I think I'll look into picking them up just for the fun of it. I really want Lunar 2 but I want the one with the cards so it might be awhile-- gonna scower Yahoo Japan. I did see a Lunar 2 booster pack on Ebay but Ive never heard of a card game.

Also, are there any noticable differences in plot, graphics, ect from PS1 to Saturn?

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Kizyr wrote:They may have worked some of the translation effort off of the Saturn versions, but given the differences (programming-wise), it's really unlikely that they did a port, as it would've taken a lot of unnecessary effort to make the US PS1 versions identical to the Japanese PS1 versions.
I'm certain Vanguard ported the EB remake to PS1 themselves, but I think Alfa System did the SSS port to PS1. Even I think that sounds crazy, though. :mrgreen:
ShindoW wrote:I did see a Lunar 2 booster pack on Ebay but Ive never heard of a card game.
I have a couple of ideas on what that could be: someone selling collectors cards from the Saturn releases seperately, or a phone card lot.
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

WD definitely did NOT do the port themselves; they just localized the Japanese PS versions. It was amazing how many fans got that mixed up and kept writing saying they should put X game on Y platform that it hadn't been previously released for.

The Saturn EB game came with nine trading cards. I don't know if all of the sets did or just the first printing. The cards are shown here: http://lunar-net.com/merchandise/tradingcards.php

BTW, Mickey, the text at the top of that page really needs updating, since that shows the trading cards from all three Saturn games, not just MS.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

WTF! I ordered the Saturn Eternal Blue at release and I didn't get any damn cards with it! Now I'm pissed! Grrrrrrrrrrrr! :evil:

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Just because I didn't want to be making things up, I double checked. Alfa System did port SSS to Playstation.
This is how thorough I am.
This is how thorough I am.
credit.PNG (348.71 KiB) Viewed 12025 times
Alfa System being the developer of Elemental Gearbolt, the Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology games, and the Phantasy Star Portable games. But this may only be interesting to me, so, next topic.
ShindoW wrote:Also, are there any noticable differences in plot, graphics, ect from PS1 to Saturn?
From Saturn to PS1, you mean? No plot differences, but a few elements were added and dropped in the transition. Mostly, the Playstation versions have more stuff - more bromides, more bonus dungeons (in EBC)... The cutscenes look better on PS1 also. (Excluding the SSS MPEG version, the only game in the Saturn library that required a add-on movie card to play.) There are some visual effects in both games that didn't work as well on Playstation, and EBC's music sounds better on Saturn.
「まあいいけど。」

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I noticed this in spells alone on the Saturn vs. PS remakes. If you watch a video of the Black Dragon Fortress or whatever it's called in SSSC, there is more effects going on in the Saturn version. I assume it's the same for every Dragon Fiend battle in EBC. I'm sure there are other effects changed as well.